Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:24   #151
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Re: ntl Confirms 10MB Broadband Speed Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just William
Speeds any faster will require the coax cable to each house to be replaced with fibre cable as coax can only cope with speeds up to 12mbps.
That is so wrong it's just not funny. Mods please delete this?
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2005, 12:25   #152
scone2
Inactive

scone2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow
Sounds good.

75GB a month is nice. Shouldn't have to worry about my, erm... Linux distros so much... anymore.
:-) that's funny, I was thinking the same thing!! There's just so many to choose from, and I keep losing those pesky DVD's....
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26   #153
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
A little bit more including 20mbit trials currently underway at http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=797

Apparantly a turbo button is to be introduced to temporarily speed up your connection.
Speeds any faster will require the coax cable to each house to be replaced with fibre cable as coax can only cope with speeds up to 12mbps.
You sure? According to that link, NTL appear to think that they can squeeze up to 50 Mb from the cable network using DOCSIS 3. And, I suspect, as more efficient encoding methods are introduced, the network will have the bandwidth available to surpass that..

to CableForum BTW.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:27   #154
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

VDSL is yet another option amongst many.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:28   #155
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Quote:
That is so wrong it's just not funny. Mods please delete this?
Why delete it?
I'm interested to know what the actual capacity of the infrastructure is, would you like to explain why you think it's wrong?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:29   #156
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

any mention of a cost or if the cap is a hard limit one?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:34   #157
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon M
Why delete it?
I'm interested to know what the actual capacity of the infrastructure is, would you like to explain why you think it's wrong?
Certainly, cable downstreams are a broadcast architecture, that bit of coax is simulataneously carrying 27+Mbit of DOCSIS traffic, even if some of it is padded empty frames, along with all the DTV, analogue, and out of band.

Existing ntl network build specs up to 860MHz, with the range between 5 and 65MHz being used for upstream traffic, that leaves after a guard band of 20MHz the 85-860MHz band to be used for downstream cable traffic.

At nominal 64QAM 6 bits per symbol and assuming a symbol rate of 0.8Megasymbols/MHz just for the sake of argument that gives 775 x 0.8 x 6 = 3.72Gbps capacity, this can be increased further through 256QAM, 8 bits/symbol.

That's just an approximation with regard to Msymbols/MHz, to illustrate.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:55   #158
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

On one hand this news is great, and it's very exciting, the prospect of having 10mb, something that parts of Europe have had for years, and i've always been jealous of.

But, on the other hand i'm really not sure that very many of us could actually USE that much speed. 10mb will roughly be about 1250k/sec.

How many ntl customers could actually use up that much bandwidth? And if they do find things that take advantage of it, it's really going to bugger up any ideas of a low cap. If people start using things like streaming live tv, concerts, online dvd rentals etc, they'll soon run out of useage for that month.

I'm not knocking it, i am excited about the upgrade, and i'll be on here like everyone else waiting for the details of when it starts, and how to jump the queue etc. But i just wonder in reality, will many of us actually get to use it in a way that we really experience a difference.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:06   #159
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

I'm not knocking it either, but I'm really concerned about the Proxies, Poplar can't even handle 3 meg, what hope does it have with 10mb ?
Old 08-08-2005, 13:08   #160
MysticKiller
Inactive

MysticKiller is an unknown quantity at this point

So when can I as a 300k cutomer get 10mb? and what will the cap be? 5gb/month? I'm sure it would be something ridiculous like it is on 1mb lol.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:12   #161
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
On one hand this news is great, and it's very exciting, the prospect of having 10mb, something that parts of Europe have had for years, and i've always been jealous of.

But, on the other hand i'm really not sure that very many of us could actually USE that much speed. 10mb will roughly be about 1250k/sec.

How many ntl customers could actually use up that much bandwidth? And if they do find things that take advantage of it, it's really going to bugger up any ideas of a low cap. If people start using things like streaming live tv, concerts, online dvd rentals etc, they'll soon run out of useage for that month.

I'm not knocking it, i am excited about the upgrade, and i'll be on here like everyone else waiting for the details of when it starts, and how to jump the queue etc. But i just wonder in reality, will many of us actually get to use it in a way that we really experience a difference.
Virtually all customers could use the 10 mbps and more if you think about it. Streaming tv such as live football matches and films may quickly use up your allowance but the cost of that extra bandwidth may be less than the cost of subscribing to watching the same football match or the cost of online renting of the film. NTL could make a range of events and films available online through something like broadband plus that you pay for in "over the cap" charges rather than not getting any profit out of third party online video rentals that would be the case if they had a much larger cap.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:14   #162
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Wink Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKiller
So when can I as a 300k cutomer get 10mb? and what will the cap be? 5gb/month? I'm sure it would be something ridiculous like it is on 1mb lol.
Read the news article on the front page.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:14   #163
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKiller
My take on it, (i'm sure i'll be corrected if wrong) by the end of 06 all will be on 10M, but each will have different levels or caps, you can buy higher bandwidths has you need it, i think.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:16   #164
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

hmmm, do we have to have this thread now for another two/three how ever long months ...

Surly those of us on 3mbit are surfeing at pretty much flat out for web pages, they cant appear much quicker.. my 1 - 3mbit uprgrade was great, but this whilst I welcome it and look forward to using it for mutimedia etc... I can wait it will happen, it will be great when it does... just be cool
Old 08-08-2005, 13:16   #165
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Really am looking forward to this, I wonder if telewest top dogs had say in this as to ensure NTL have products to please telewest customers when merger happens.

I would expect a mass of people upgrading to top tier when the news hits of first batch of 3mbit getting the upgrades, and is there any indication that the 75 gig is still a soft cap or will be a hard cap? I am hoping it stays as a guideline that NTL only enforce when congestion occurs.
Closed Thread