Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 18-08-2005, 13:03   #441
theNomad
Inactive

Services: NTL-Full TV/512k UNLIMITED
theNomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Thats the thing Raistlin I havent asked anyone for an upgrade I was happy with what I got when I signed up,I sure as hell wouldnt sign for a limited account.Ive still my old pace box,Ive never had to resign a new contract with them or anything.Only time ive ever contacted ntl in the last few years was to get a pay-per view boxing match.Its the fact theyve changed thats so frustraiting to longer users like myself like having the rug pulled out from under your feet.And like I said Ive allways been happy with ntl's service and dont wanna move,but couldnt afford to pay for that business line and £90 modem.Whats next timed tv broadcasts 10 hours a day then your tv shuts down,damn wish i wouldnt have said that they'll probably bring it up in their next meeting.

And you say the caps are a way of ensuring that they can keep prices competitive without sacrificing any other areas of the service.I very much doubt that,more a way to get your money and give you nothing in return.Or charge ya £90 and then another £10 per month for the same package you was paying for that will surely be on the same lines and affect the service of others.And whos to say people who do opt for this service wont in a few months be set their own cap,they did it to the normal service why wouldnt they do it to a lesser used service.

A Dutch buddie was just telling me that their main ISP tried to cap its members and got taken to court for unfair business practices on members who had signed for unlimited accounts.And as walking in town asked the man selling NTL and theyre still lying saying that their service wasnt capped ,so even new members dont know its got the 30gbs per month limit.Unless they read the small print or when the letter pops through their door.Wonder how long it'll be when theyre forced to put in bold letters This is a CAPPED service.

So remember folks Smoking Kills and NTL is Capped.

line edited in P.S. Phlashman mine was allmost the same as your d/l quoto give or take 2 or 3 gbs
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2005, 13:04   #442
Pudders
Inactive

Pudders is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems all of a sudden these letters are going out.... maybe they will act, maybe they wont!!

If in October they decide to cut me back or suspend will be the time I move on. Sky have said they will be doing broad band by the end of the year... another option but till then... we'll see!

Pud
Old 18-08-2005, 13:30   #443
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

how typical, i phone cs to downgrade my package since i will not be using all of a 3mb connection and after 10 minutes of the guy babbling on about how to limit bandwidth, and basically just repeating everything the letter said he then said "cs are having problems at the minute and cannot change your package".

called from a mobile too, *****.
Old 18-08-2005, 13:40   #444
BarFly
Inactive

BarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to BarFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
The two preceding posts to this one - this, ladies and gentlemen, is why ntl need to cap.
To be fair OB, these 2 posters arent that bad, they admit they were taking the p!$$ & have said they will reduce there usuage, as the cap was only ever soft, you cant really blame them for pushing the limits < sorry couldnt resist >, the people who will have issues are those who wont moderate there usage.

As it goes there have ben a fair few no. of these letters gone out, & from the rumours we have heard here, they will be acted upon, but they are just rumours.....so expect to see this thread getting bigger over the next few days with people saying they have received there warning letter....

< Edit > Perhaps we could have a little poll so people can admit how much they have been pulled up for, for downloading...

perhaps
100 - 150 , 150 - 200, 200 - 250, 250 - 300, 300 +
Old 18-08-2005, 13:44   #445
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

We told you this was coming .....
Old 18-08-2005, 13:44   #446
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarFly
To be fair OB, these 2 posters arent that bad, they admit they were taking the p!$$ & have said they will reduce there usuage, as the cap was only ever soft, you cant really blame them for pushing the limits < sorry couldnt resist >, the people who will have issues are those who wont moderate there usage.

as it goes there have ben a fair few no.s of these letters gone out, & from what the rumours we have heard here they will be acted upon, but they are just rumours.....so expect to see this thread getting bigger over the next few days...
There's nothing fair about it if you take into account the other poor sods on the same patch as these two that undoubtly had a poor service because of their ****** taking....
Old 18-08-2005, 13:47   #447
BarFly
Inactive

BarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
There's nothing fair about it if you take into account the other poor sods on the same patch as these two that undoubtly had a poor service because of their ****** taking....
all depends wheather it was up & down traffic, wheather they done it off peak or on peak etc... il take an educated guess you could download that much & not affect other peoples usage, not saying they have done, but some ubr's have that much capacity on them to be able to cope with a bit of excessive use.

Just playing devils advocate here....
Old 18-08-2005, 13:50   #448
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarFly
Quote:
all depends wheather it was up & down traffic, wheather they done it off peak or on peak etc... il take an educated guess you could download that much & not affect other peoples usage, not saying they have done, but some ubr's has that much capacity on them to be able to cope with a bit of excessive use.

Just playing devils advocate here....
Devils advocate is one thing, but they have been consistently breaking their agreement with ntl. Their overuse of the broadband, can and will affect those on the same ubr. Ntl are targetting those troubled ubr's and then identifying those causing the problems on that ubr.

The chances are that they are connected to a ubr that has it's fair share or AUP breakers and are now taking action for the benefit of all.
Old 18-08-2005, 13:53   #449
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

It seems really unfortunate business management, as usual, from Ntl. They've just announced that they'll be introducing proper UNLIMITED services, in the near future, for heavy users. And at the same time, they're gonna now punish heavy users, thus getting rid of a number of them, before they've had time to sign up for these new unlimited services.

I don't really have a problem with capping, it has a place, and in some instances it is needed, but there has to be options for those people who do want to download much more data, even if it's charged at a higher rate.

I haven't recieved a letter yet, but i will, as my average useage is about 100GB a month. It's the only reason i have a 3mb line, and if i have to keep within 30GB i'd either move down to 2mb and pay less, or leave completely, taking my phone line to BT. If on the other hand, they'd stated in the letter, that the new 'unlimited' services would be available soon, maybe giving some details, i'd probably be prepared to reduce my downloading for a month or 3, until these services become available.
Old 18-08-2005, 13:55   #450
BarFly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon M
Devils advocate is one thing, but they have been consistently breaking their agreement with ntl. Their overuse of the broadband, can and will affect those on the same ubr. Ntl are targetting those troubled ubr's and then identifying those causing the problems on that ubr.

The chances are that they are connected to a ubr that has it's fair share or AUP breakers and are now taking action for the benefit of all.
as fair as im are aware it is going to anyone who is consistently breaking the cap, not just certain ubr's, ( dont forgot, as people keep telling us most of the countries ubrs are fine there are only a handfull of problem area's & cards ), these letters are going out across the country, & as far im aware not to specific people on specific cards.

Make no bones about it, the plan is to lose or scare the major users into lowering there usage before the 10mbps rollout & hard capping comes into force.....
Old 18-08-2005, 13:59   #451
theNomad
Inactive

Services: NTL-Full TV/512k UNLIMITED
theNomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Simon M walk down to your high st and ask a NTL sales person if its capped or not and come back and say you was told they just told me it wasnt.Would make a nice watchdog feature that lying to the public untill they get your money and sign up fee's in.
Old 18-08-2005, 14:02   #452
Pudders
Inactive

Pudders is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
It seems really unfortunate business management, as usual, from Ntl. They've just announced that they'll be introducing proper UNLIMITED services, in the near future, for heavy users. And at the same time, they're gonna now punish heavy users, thus getting rid of a number of them, before they've had time to sign up for these new unlimited services.

Hear Hear my friend.

Pud
Old 18-08-2005, 14:06   #453
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

Have NTL now provided the tools to correctly monitor your connection then?

:lol: And who's got the highest recorded use, so far Nemesis looks to be winning with 193Gb
Old 18-08-2005, 14:14   #454
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNomad
Simon M walk down to your high st and ask a NTL sales person if its capped or not and come back and say you was told they just told me it wasnt.Would make a nice watchdog feature that lying to the public untill they get your money and sign up fee's in.
Does it not state in the contract small print that it's a capped/ limited service? Or are people not still reading the full details of what they sign these days?
BTW do you have to post in bold for a reason?
Old 18-08-2005, 14:14   #455
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

I really wouldn't say these people have been 'over-using' their connection. The hours in a complete month it would take to download ~175gb would only be about 8 days, far from maxing out 24/7.

But yeah, if there is congestion and it needs to be solved, it seems a good way, as some of these peeps some to of got the hump and are up to go, otherwise, if it isn't causing any harm, whats the problem.
Old 18-08-2005, 14:24   #456
smashie
Inactive

smashie is on a distinguished roadsmashie is on a distinguished road

i agree, but just for the record i dont have the hump quite the opposite in fact, i toyed with the idea of leaving the service when the capping was oringinally announced and now my hand has been forced..

like i said earlier i don't feel ntl are being unreasonable i'm a heavy user (158gb) and i have broken the rules, so i will have to make alternative arrangements where the rules don't inhibit me..

on to pastures new!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
I really wouldn't say these people have been 'over-using' their connection. The hours in a complete month it would take to download ~175gb would only be about 8 days, far from maxing out 24/7.

But yeah, if there is congestion and it needs to be solved, it seems a good way, as some of these peeps some to of got the hump and are up to go, otherwise, if it isn't causing any harm, whats the problem.
Old 18-08-2005, 14:28   #457
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashie
i agree, but just for the record i dont have the hump quite the opposite in fact, i toyed with the idea of leaving the service when the capping was oringinally announced and now my hand has been forced..

like i said earlier i don't feel ntl are being unreasonable i'm a heavy user (158gb) and i have broken the rules, so i will have to make alternative arrangements where the rules don't inhibit me..

on to pastures new!!
Old 18-08-2005, 14:30   #458
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

i certainly dont have the hump, makes little difference to me, infact it's better because i have now decided to downgrade so will save some pennies each month, and i cant see me hurting anyone by downloading a few mp3's each day, or pictures of penguins perhaps....
Old 18-08-2005, 14:33   #459
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

I think I'll go to AOL, it's cheaper than i'm currently paying, I can keep NTL's phone line (thereby saving the expense of having BT fit a line) and there are no limits whatsoever

Although I will phone them first to see what the options are.
Old 18-08-2005, 14:39   #460
BarFly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Arcade
I think I'll go to AOL, it's cheaper than i'm currently paying, I can keep NTL's phone line (thereby saving the expense of having BT fit a line) and there are no limits whatsoever
if its AOL through NTL network, then check the T&C's they reserve the right to remove use...blah blah blah......exactly the same as NTL's just without actually numbers ( eg 1gb a day etc.. ) , & yes they do kick people off, & i think they are a little less tolerable than NTL have been.
Closed Thread