Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 23:25   #401
roy
Inactive

roy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

I doubt a 1gb cap is going to effect gaming, but it would be interesting to know as I also do online gaming. Obviously you dont download anything really, you just are on a server collecting information, so I guess you are downloading, but the information must be pretty small to get it so fast. I'm just using common sense here as I don't really know.
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2005, 00:15   #402
mrlipring
Inactive

Services: PCI DVB-T Freeview NTL Digital NTL 3mbit NTL phone
mrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
I doubt a 1gb cap is going to effect gaming, but it would be interesting to know as I also do online gaming. Obviously you dont download anything really, you just are on a server collecting information, so I guess you are downloading, but the information must be pretty small to get it so fast. I'm just using common sense here as I don't really know.
next time i'm playing halo 2 online i'll see. It'll vary from game to game, but it'll give us some kinda idea. It'll let us guesstimate how long you can play for in a month.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:39   #403
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlipring
next time i'm playing halo 2 online i'll see. It'll vary from game to game, but it'll give us some kinda idea. It'll let us guesstimate how long you can play for in a month.
i once played world of warcraft on 56k when i was away from home i think i transfered a grand total of 3mb in 2hours of playing, (might have been in 1 hour)

not sure how much it uses when playing on broadband but its actally supprising how little data it needs to send/recive to work
Old 11-07-2005, 15:07   #404
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon
i once played world of warcraft on 56k when i was away from home i think i transfered a grand total of 3mb in 2hours of playing, (might have been in 1 hour)

not sure how much it uses when playing on broadband but its actally supprising how little data it needs to send/recive to work
I love WoW, and it uses virtually no traffic at all, it's very efficient and is a reminder that most games are just transmitting *numbers* and your client does the rest of the work.

The main reason for 'broadband' requirements in games is voice comms, the games themselves rarely use much. Certainly FPS games don't really have that much excuse to use a ton of bandwidth beyond sloppy netcode.
Old 11-07-2005, 17:58   #405
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
The main reason for 'broadband' requirements in games is voice comms, the games themselves rarely use much. Certainly FPS games don't really have that much excuse to use a ton of bandwidth beyond sloppy netcode.
Not really, the main reason you need broadband is for the low latency. Voice comms needs little more than a 56k connection.
Old 11-07-2005, 19:11   #406
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
Not really, the main reason you need broadband is for the low latency. Voice comms needs little more than a 56k connection.
No I was referring to games that state a 'broadband' connection as a requirement - this is mostly down to voice comms using up too much of the 33.6kbps upload V90/K56 dialup has.
Old 11-07-2005, 21:22   #407
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
No I was referring to games that state a 'broadband' connection as a requirement - this is mostly down to voice comms using up too much of the 33.6kbps upload V90/K56 dialup has.
After all, as you say, all most games would need to transfer (apart from voice comms) is the position of any players and movable objects within the game. Unless you have thousands of objects moving within the game, that's not going to use an awful lot of bandwidth.
Old 17-07-2005, 22:13   #408
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I discussed somethign with an ex ntl customer today, and he mentioned about changes coming 21 august this year as in things been more enforced is there any truth to this? he had no proof. But there is something that has changed I dont know when, but the 1 gig day cap is now 30 gig a month as shown on the signup page. Although I am currently not bothered about the current soft cap, A hard enforced cap of 30 gig does scare me as I know I will breach it (average usage 40-70 gig) but I feel as I download 90% of my stuff early morning NTL can do more to allow higher usage. Nevertherless if this does happen on the 21st august with no options for people such as myself then I will end up leaving and signing up elsewhere. This incidently stopped my friend signing up and its how I found out about the change, he probably uses the net for 10 hours a week but refuses any capped service he just wants peace of mind of garantueed unlimited use.
Old 17-07-2005, 22:27   #409
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
After all, as you say, all most games would need to transfer (apart from voice comms) is the position of any players and movable objects within the game. Unless you have thousands of objects moving within the game, that's not going to use an awful lot of bandwidth.
actually I was suprised that how little bandwith some games do use, i've played world of warcraft on 56k when i was away from home and i think i totaled about 3mb transfered for the whole time i was playing (cant remember if it was for 1 hour or 2) and that included questing though an instance in a party and some time spent in one of the capital cities.

i have no idea what the bandwith usage is on the broadband but i don't think its much!

both me and a mate have played on his 300kps ntl and it ran fine (and there was a 3rd computer connected downloading windows updates at the time aswell).
Old 19-07-2005, 09:14   #410
rikesh
Inactive

rikesh is an unknown quantity at this point

hi id just like to ask if any members have been punished for going over the new ntl cap limit? if so, what exactly do ntl do?

thanks,
Old 29-07-2005, 09:07   #411
Gogs
Inactive

Gogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any way I can find out how much of my 3GB cap I have already used this month?
Old 29-07-2005, 10:38   #412
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

you will need to install a meter program I use DU Meter.. do a search on google and you can find it
Old 29-07-2005, 13:51   #413
Gogs
Inactive

Gogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Old 14-08-2005, 10:19   #414
Bluestraw
Inactive

Bluestraw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. Sorry if I'm asking a very common question, but I'm new here and I don't want to read all 28 pages of this (and the previous) capping threads!!!

Has anyone on a 3Mbit connection actually had any action taken against them by NTL for going over their limit? I'm seriously tempted over to NTL as I'm too far from the exchange for 2Mbit ADSL - and with the 10Mbit coming 'soon' it sounds even better. But the limit of 30Gig (even the proposed 75 for 10Mbit) seems totally crazy for a £38pm product!!
Old 14-08-2005, 10:35   #415
Mauldor
Inactive

Services: 50mbit, Base TV, Base Phone
Mauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of light

BlueStraw the place we call home, to answer your question from "My Point of View" is as follows really...

The CAP as we know it is a recommended Cap, if you abuse your connection and it effect a lot of people in your Area then I am sure NTL will be having a word or two. Now Capping as the thread title says is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good in that there is other ISP's that have no cap but people are finding there connection a bag of spanners and people leave there downloads / Upload (P2P) going 24/7 - Having a Cap can stop this happening as Home connection are shared - if all 200 Users all downloaded at once, you wont quite get that 3mbit you paid for, then of course you will be complaining won't you??

Most ISP I think are moving to a different Model, you get the fastest Speed you line can take (in the case of ADSL) and you pay according to your useage per month.

So to sum up Breifly then (my Guess by the way)....
ATM is a Soft Cap - as is not really Enfoced..
They WILL bring in a Hard cap for Def...then again most will - so you cannot really win..
Old 14-08-2005, 11:17   #416
Bluestraw
Inactive

Bluestraw is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the speedy reply and warm welcome

I totally understand the need for some kind of Cap - but I schedule my downloads to run off-peak (overnight), which is actively supported and encouraged by my current ISP (Plusnet). Therefore, although I have a heavy monthly usage, it's not affecting others, and so nobody minds.

Sounds like the NTL policy is not so clearly defined, but hopefully there would be some common sense to allow a usage pattern like mine. Running at 3Mbit/s, I'd be happy to make all my downloads between 2am and 7am!

Do other people do this sort of thing? Anyone out there with a 3Mbit/s connection who successfully downloads a LOT per month, with no 'troubles'?
Old 14-08-2005, 18:40   #417
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Yes currently its a soft cap which is very unlikely to affect you, what has upset people is it is unclear in the t&c the exact details of the cap and there is no time of day discrepancies, if it was a cap that only applied during peak hours I think ntl would win with everyone.
Old 16-08-2005, 16:28   #418
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraw
Do other people do this sort of thing? Anyone out there with a 3Mbit/s connection who successfully downloads a LOT per month, with no 'troubles'?
Yeah, me for one

No troubles (yet), but they're coming
Old 18-08-2005, 04:13   #419
Radeon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 100mb
Radeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been NTL for the last 3 yrs and am extremely happy with their service, probably only lost my Internet connection about 5 times in 3 yrs , currently on the 3mb service, have always used NTL fastest service, being honest I use a lot of bandwidth, on average every month my total for download and uploading, totals around 90gb per month + I upload about 2.50gb every day, and have done so for ages ( due to P2P )

I have never had a warning from NTL or any of my friends who use similar amounts of bandwidth per month, at the moment I don't think NTL give a dam about their caps but that might change when the upgrade to 10mb broadband, just hope they use softcaps then to, will soon find out
Old 18-08-2005, 10:25   #420
Phlashman
Inactive

Phlashman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got a warning letter from NTL for going way over my download cap. They say unless I get it to under 30gb during september they'll either cut me off or reduce my service while "paying the same or less" than I am currently!

Has anyone got one of these before? Have they been cut off?
Closed Thread