Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2005, 13:43   #341
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jedi
I've been bad again my new total since the upgrade is now about 750gigs downloaded. What am I doing wrong
Downloading a load of random crap you're never going to actually use and ending up deleting it, or selling DVDRs on the car boot mebbe?
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2005, 13:50   #342
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Are the caps monitored daily or monthly? because since big bro started i've d/l over 3G in the last couple of days from streaming.
Old 29-05-2005, 14:28   #343
Monster Jedi
Permanently Banned

Monster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Downloading a load of random crap you're never going to actually use and ending up deleting it, or selling DVDRs on the car boot mebbe?
It's all good crap. But it's costing me backing up to dvd
Old 29-05-2005, 14:30   #344
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jedi
It's all good crap. But it's costing me backing up to dvd
Be happy, it'll cost you far more if/when your tier goes pay per GB

Do you actually find time to do anything with that stuff? Can't believe you could find upwards of 10GB/day of DVDR you actually want to watch, nor that it could be applications / games you're going to use or play.

Not being an ass I just can't get my head around it + have to think it's more of the hording thing, same as some people have thousands of MP3s and play a couple of hundred of them with any regularity.
Old 29-05-2005, 15:06   #345
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
Are the caps monitored daily or monthly? because since big bro started i've d/l over 3G in the last couple of days from streaming.
Sadly I don't think that matters although I will suggest to the powers that be that those who are extensively streaming Big Brother are visited by Hitmen for the good of the country, and the human race

(Yes I hate reality TV, especially that horrid insipid freak show )
Old 29-05-2005, 16:10   #346
astidog
Inactive

astidog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
Of course if NTL actually gave us he live streaming that Sky, Telewest and even Freeview have, we wouldn't have to use up thier precious bandwidth would we?
Old 29-05-2005, 17:57   #347
Emerald Jaide
Inactive

Emerald Jaide is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the help and I know i should have looked thru the posts first... Ever since the upgrade from 300k to 2meg the 1gig limit comes really fast now.. I am using netmeter to monitor the download usage.... To me i just find it stupid that they have a 1gig limit a day they should raise it a bit more or something...
Old 29-05-2005, 18:05   #348
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

1Gb per day is pretty good as long as you don't do any serious downloading, if you just browse sites, send email and view ocassional streaming media; it's plenty of bandwidth. If you fileshare or spend a lot of time downloading huge files every day or watching lots of streaming media you can use a lot of your cap very quickly. I wouldn't expect NTL to monitor usage on a 24 hour basis but would think they would probably monitor usage over the month. Obviously if someone breaches their cap limit then no doubt they would probably be monitored a lot closer on their usage.
Until NTL make some form of official announcement as to what they are going to do all we can do is wait and see.
Old 29-05-2005, 20:31   #349
Monster Jedi
Permanently Banned

Monster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to allMonster Jedi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Be happy, it'll cost you far more if/when your tier goes pay per GB

Do you actually find time to do anything with that stuff? Can't believe you could find upwards of 10GB/day of DVDR you actually want to watch, nor that it could be applications / games you're going to use or play.

Not being an ass I just can't get my head around it + have to think it's more of the hording thing, same as some people have thousands of MP3s and play a couple of hundred of them with any regularity.
If NTL do a tier per gig . Then I will have to do this

It would be the same with phone and tv
Old 29-05-2005, 20:48   #350
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Heh, downloading upwards of 10GB/day I think ntl's answer would be

BTW You still didn't answer my question Just curious as to how you can use all that stuff, or if it just gets stashed and never used, or if it goes to the car boot on weekends.
Old 29-05-2005, 22:31   #351
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Heh I think I may get a higher then avg usage whilst Big Brother is on, I used to watch on tv but e4 has stopped showing during day and it cuts of at 4am.
Old 30-05-2005, 00:25   #352
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Heh I think I may get a higher then avg usage whilst Big Brother is on, I used to watch on tv but e4 has stopped showing during day and it cuts of at 4am.
not according to my EPG... on until 6am and then from 6am to 3:30pm.....
Old 30-05-2005, 11:16   #353
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

at 4am a advertisement comes on from ntl advertising new price drop tv, so I think ntl themselves cutoff e4 at 4am for their own reasons, e4 then doesnt come back until 2pm and then for few hours it is showing repeats of old shows.

(right now playing radio leics and screen showing price drop tv is available)
Old 30-05-2005, 11:18   #354
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
at 4am a advertisement comes on from ntl advertising new price drop tv, so I think ntl themselves cutoff e4 at 4am for their own reasons, e4 then doesnt come back until 2pm and then for few hours it is showing repeats of old shows.

I've just flipped it on now and it is Big Brother Live....

EDIT: just noticed you are an analogue... maybe that will explain the difference...
Old 30-05-2005, 11:30   #355
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Yep its the analogue, very frustrating as I will happily pay the £20 whatever digital service costs, luckily for me its streamed on the net at reasonable quality.

Seems now they charging GRRRRR, before it was just letting me watch I think due to their licence problems.
Old 30-05-2005, 11:40   #356
Roy MM
Inactive

Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal

It's still free, copy and paste this to your int the address bar.

mms://a1667.l1547840413.c15478.e.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1667/15478/v0001/reflector:40413
Old 30-05-2005, 11:41   #357
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

didnt work, I get a licence aquisition window which says no licence and a button to close 12 hours ago it downloaded the licence and played.

BB have a page saying £1.99 for 24 hours (which is absurb) and £14.99 for unlimited so I am guessing its meant to be paid for, and they said they had registration problems so I also guessed thats why I had it free.
Old 30-05-2005, 11:44   #358
Roy MM
Inactive

I'm watching it now.
Old 30-05-2005, 12:01   #359
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

try stopping it and restarting so it redownloads the licence, if it still works then I wonder why I cant get the licence file.
Old 30-05-2005, 14:37   #360
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

You mean people acually PAY to watch Big Brother?
Closed Thread