Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Internet Slow

Old 25-08-2005, 09:47   #1
bitchplz
Inactive

Services: NTL 2mb BB Sky Digital
bitchplz is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Internet Slow

Hey,

Im currently getting a 2mb connection from NTL but for some reason its running incredibly slow. My download speed is awful, were talking dial up standards
But when i ran the online test to test your connection it was running at 1.7mb/1.6mb which is fine.
We also have another connection down stairs which we have had no problems with whatsoever and it's ran great.
I have tried the obvisous steps, running spyware scans, anti virus scans, hijackthis, turning off firewall, repairing connection, flushing dns.
But nothing has worked.
I also play a few games on the internet like Red Alert 2, And sometimes when playing this my connection will just drop out and i cant login or get disconnected at random times.
Ebay is taking forever to load and sometimes loses connecting and needs a refresh.
I'm now stumped for ideas
I don't use a router or modem just have a direct network cable to me motherboard.
Any help would be greatly appreicated
Alex
bitchplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2005, 10:16   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Internet Slow

try going to http://root:root@192.168.100.1/ and check the signal strength. Post the results back here
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 10:19   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

How did you turn off your firewall (and which one is it) and did you try it without your AV software running?
Welcome to the mad house by the way
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 10:30   #4
bitchplz
Inactive

Im at work at the moment so i will run the test as soon as i get back.

Its windows Xp firewall, and just turned it off through the security centre

Yea i use AVG and MS anti spyware and have them both turned off when gaming.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 25-08-2005, 10:35   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Did you check your signal strength as sugested? When the connection speed dies to a crawl does the connection downstairs slow down too or is it just that PC?
Old 25-08-2005, 10:39   #6
bitchplz
Inactive

Im at work at the moment so i cant check my signal yet, but will A.S.A.P when i finish.
The internet connection down stairs is always running fine.
Just the connection upstairs that causes problems.
And it doesn't die slowly. It seems to be constantly dead!
Thanks for your reply's
Old 25-08-2005, 10:42   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Have you checked the cable? I'd be tempted to switch PCs on that connection to see if it's an issue with the cable or the computer. If you switch PCs on the connection and the connection no longer dies then it would point to an issue on the PC that currently has the connection problem.
Old 25-08-2005, 10:46   #8
bitchplz
Inactive

I haven't thought of checking the cable! I can give that a try later.
My pc is new so i doubt there's a problem with that but still i can hook it up to my laptop.
Could it possibly be the onboard network connector on the motherboard?

If so is it worth try and individual Network card?
Thanks Alex
Old 25-08-2005, 10:50   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Check the cable first, yes it could be an issue with the onboard ethernet but it could also be a number of things. I'm taking it for granted that all the checks you ran were with multiple anti-viru/ spyware/ adware tools that were fully up to date.
How new is the PC and can you remember the make/ model of it? If so we may be able to check for updated drivers etc. Also has the connection always been this way or did it start recently?
You say you don't use a router etc but there is a connection downstairs too, do both computers run off different modems?
Old 25-08-2005, 11:00   #10
bitchplz
Inactive

Yea the Anti Virus and Anti Spyware are upto date and hijackthis is clear.
I deal with this at work so this can be ruled out fully!

The pc maybe around 3months/4months old.
Erm it's a shuttle barebone system and the rest i built.
I added
512mb RAM kingston & Gskill,
Nvidia FX5200
Amd Sempron 2400+
Thats what im running at the moment.

All drivers are upto date.

The connection hasn't always been like this.
Started around month ago

There is no link off the two computers.
Both have seperate direct NTL lines.
Neither has a router or modem
Old 25-08-2005, 11:05   #11
Paul K
Inactive

Was anything installed a month ago that may have affected the settings of the connection?
Old 25-08-2005, 11:09   #12
bitchplz
Inactive

The only thing installed was Yuri's revenge (Add on for Red Alert 2) Which i unistalled incase this was problem.... but no change.
Anything else installed would be just trial programs.... Which would of been unistalled by now.
Old 25-08-2005, 11:42   #13
Paul K
Inactive

Next time it slows down I would run a speed test and then go to the modem page using the IP above and check the levels. The computers are on seperate feeds which means one could be fine but one may be marginal on it's signal strength/ power levels.
Old 25-08-2005, 14:41   #14
bitchplz
Inactive

Thanks for your help i will try that when i get home and post with the results.
I didnt go directly to NTL as i didnt want to waste there time if its a silly fault i have caused. And there customer Service in my opinion was poor.
Alex
Old 25-08-2005, 14:48   #15
Paul K
Inactive

Unfortunately customer service is often a case of who you get put through to, get a member of CS staff who doesn't enjoy the job and you can get annoyed very quickly lol.