Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

Old 09-09-2004, 19:27   #46
Guwag
Inactive

Guwag is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

I am a new customer to NTL, mainly because their broadband was nice and cheap (compared to non-cable options) as well as easy to network and we could get the phone on the same bill. (Plus their 2p a minute rate to the USA was too good to miss for a major telecoms provider)

So far I've phoned them four times:
1st for getting my broadband PIN that I hadn't recieved in the post,
2nd for problems with the Broadband Installer crashing,
3nd for upgrading my call plan, and
4th for activating 1571.

Maybe I was just incredibly lucky but on three of these occasions (1,3 and 4) I had absolutely no wait time whatsoever. On the 2nd occasion I waited about 5 minutes before getting through. Now compared to other support lines I have had experience with (Namely AOHell and others), NTL has come across as very good. Sure, my future experiences may change but I'm happy at the moment
Guwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2004, 12:04   #47
stuey82
Inactive

stuey82 can only hope to improve

Typical! NTL will never improve on call times. Good Luck to everyone who tries calling them!! and CONGRATS on everyone who leave them!
stuey82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 23:07   #48
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Welcome Guwag <waves welcome banner>
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 00:08   #49
Guwag
Inactive

Guwag is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks *Waves Hi*
Guwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 14:47   #50
DerekRothwell
Inactive

Services: Sky BB at almost dial-up speeds Crap TV (no iplayers) Average phone (unlimited) and all this for
DerekRothwell is on a distinguished roadDerekRothwell is on a distinguished road

I just wish I could get to speak to a human at NTL to be at least in the position to have the phone "put down" on me!

In my own personal experience, NTL call centres rank just about the bottom of the pile in terms of trying to get some sense out of the company.

No sleight intended on the good folks that have to man these places, its obvious that either:

1. The system installed does not fit the requirement.
2. NTL's product is so unreliable that the call centres are overwhelmed.
3. We, the customers, expect far to much in the way of service from the company for the mear pitance we spend each month with NTL <sarc>.
DerekRothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 11:26   #51
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I am on hold with ntl right now. I started my stopwatch when the recording said they are very busy at present, with wait times of up to half an hour .

So far I have been waiting 15 minutes. Maybe they have a sixth sense that I'm phoning up to cancel everything ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 11:32   #52
bo-peep
Inactive

bo-peep will become famous soon enoughbo-peep will become famous soon enoughbo-peep will become famous soon enough

never had any problems waiting here.now and then there might be a 'we're busy please try again' message but usually put thru within 5 mins.problem i've got 2day tho is that the call centre is shut.tried ringing twice and get the same message every time.anybody an answer 2 that?
bo-peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 11:33   #53
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

20 minutes on hold and the woman's voice interrupts the muzak to say 'Please stay on the line ... we won't be long!'

Aarrrrrgggh!

Currently filling our entire department with the sounds of ntl not answering my call. At least I have the luxury of waiting hands-free. I pity the poor victims who're getting sore necks from cradling their phones.
Old 13-09-2004, 11:34   #54
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
I am on hold with ntl right now. I started my stopwatch when the recording said they are very busy at present, with wait times of up to half an hour .

So far I have been waiting 15 minutes. Maybe they have a sixth sense that I'm phoning up to cancel everything ...
Er, no. The recording warned you there'd be a wait of up to half an hour, that's way you're still on hold after 15 mins....

Why didn't you just hang up and try later - at least you got the warning about the wait. If you choose to wait, then that's your perogative, and quite frankly negates any right you had to whinge about waiting...
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 11:44   #55
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
Er, no. The recording warned you there'd be a wait of up to half an hour, that's way you're still on hold after 15 mins....

Why didn't you just hang up and try later - at least you got the warning about the wait. If you choose to wait, then that's your perogative, and quite frankly negates any right you had to whinge about waiting...
Aw come on, at least take off the rose tinted glasses first.

It's absurd to suggest a customer has no right to complain about crap service, just because the service provider is candid enough to admit the service is crap. A call centre should be adequately staffed to deal with call volumes. In fact, they answered while I was posting this - total wait time, 25 minutes. Are you suggesting that because they answered the call in five minutes less time than they predicted, I should be grateful that they exceeded my expectations? That's just daft.
Old 13-09-2004, 11:52   #56
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Aw come on, at least take off the rose tinted glasses first.
So, having a little rationale and not feeling too emotional either way about a utilities company is rose tinted? Then great, I'll have two pairs.

Quote:
It's absurd to suggest a customer has no right to complain about crap service, just because the service provider is candid enough to admit the service is crap.
I'm sorry, where did I suggest that? All I said was, you were warned about the wait. But you waited anyway, and then you whine - how contrary can you get???

Quote:
A call centre should be adequately staffed to deal with call volumes. In fact, they answered while I was posting this - total wait time, 25 minutes. Are you suggesting that because they answered the call in five minutes less time than they predicted, I should be grateful that they exceeded my expectations? That's just daft.
No, I'm not suggesting that at all. The recorded message was ntls way of trying to manage the customers expectations. As I said before, whether you chose to act on it (call later) or wait and whine, is up to you.

ntl's call centres are staffed enough. The problem is either crap training (more often that not the case) which means it takes longer to sort out the query, a busy day (such as bills being received and people phoning to pay/query them) or numpties who can't work out by themselves that the reason their remote control isn't working is because the batteries have run out and if it's not fixed they're off to BT!!!!

Sure, ntl could staff up there calls centres to make sure the phone never rang more than twice for any customer who rings up - but just watch the prices of the services rocket to cover the huge wage bill.....
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 12:01   #57
homer
Inactive

homer has a spectacular aura about themhomer has a spectacular aura about themhomer has a spectacular aura about themhomer has a spectacular aura about them

Well I had to wait 40 mins until i was answered but there again it is NTL we are talking about.......

Homer
homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 12:16   #58
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird

Actually, under these circumstances a complaint is fully justified. Do you not think it is a total joke that a company has to have a recorded message stating that wait times could be up to 30 minutes? Why don`t NTL just cut to the chase and have a recorded message stating "We are inefficient, understaffed and in no way value your time so you're going to be holding for a long time"?

Why is that every time I phone up I get a message telling me that wait times are going to be longer than anybody can reasonably expect? Do you expect me to hang up every time and keep waiting for that mythical moment when they don`t have a warning message? If customers took that approach then no-one would ever speak to anyone at customer services.

You state that because someone decides to wait they have no reason to complain. Can you explain a sensible course of action to take should someone not choose to wait, as per your advice?

Why would bills have to rise to manage a decent call centre? Every other company that I have to deal with by phone has the capability of answering calls within a reasonable time frame. None of those has suffered a drastic increase in price to pay for the call centre? Why is NTL so different?
Old 13-09-2004, 12:19   #59
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr wadd
Actually, under these circumstances a complaint is fully justified. Do you not think it is a total joke that a company has to have a recorded message stating that wait times could be up to 30 minutes? Why don`t NTL just cut to the chase and have a recorded message stating "We are inefficient, understaffed and in no way value your time so you're going to be holding for a long time"?

Why is that every time I phone up I get a message telling me that wait times are going to be longer than anybody can reasonably expect? Do you expect me to hang up every time and keep waiting for that mythical moment when they don`t have a warning message? If customers took that approach then no-one would ever speak to anyone at customer services.

You state that because someone decides to wait they have no reason to complain. Can you explain a sensible course of action to take should someone not choose to wait, as per your advice?

Why would bills have to rise to manage a decent call centre? Every other company that I have to deal with by phone has the capability of answering calls within a reasonable time frame. None of those has suffered a drastic increase in price to pay for the call centre? Why is NTL so different?
Try ringing Powergen if you think 'every other company' can answer calls quickly.
Old 13-09-2004, 12:23   #60
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

What makes people think that a 25 - 40 minute wait isn't the 'norm'.

I've had similar situations with
  • BA
  • Expedia
  • BT
  • NTL
  • South West Trains
  • British Museum
  • Dell
and ...
  • My Mother (engaged, talking to a friend)
NTL are just the same as everyone else in this respect ...
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote