Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

Old 09-09-2004, 14:50   #31
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

I think what she is trying to say is the person who conducted the research might have just gone through to a busy/under performing callcentre. But then again, as someone else rightly said, customers aren't interested in details like that - we just want or issues to be dealt with quickly and properly, irregardless of which callcentre it gets through to.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2004, 14:56   #32
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

One point that everyone seems to have missed is the fact that the 50minutes is the total of the three attempts to call- so each call lasted on average 16m 40s.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:00   #33
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
One point that everyone seems to have missed is the fact that the 50minutes is the total of the three attempts to call- so each call lasted on average 16m 40s.
But you seem to have missed this bit.....

Quote:
When - after 15 minutes - our first attempt to speak to an operator looked like succeeding, she kindly hung up.

To make sure we got the message, she put the phone down again after our second attempt 20 minutes later.
Now I'm not trying to wind you up, or stir things up, but if someone asked me what company that sounded like, I would have no hesitation in saying ntl.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:01   #34
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
I think what she is trying to say is the person who conducted the research might have just gone through to a busy/under performing callcentre. But then again, as someone else rightly said, customers aren't interested in details like that - we just want or issues to be dealt with quickly and properly, irregardless of which callcentre it gets through to.

That's it Russ. I don't expect the customers to interetested in the detail either. What I do expect though, is the conducters of the survey to give a fair view of the company call centres as a whole.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:05   #35
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
That's it Russ. I don't expect the customers to interetested in the detail either. What I do expect though, is the conducters of the survey to give a fair view of the company call centres as a whole.
It really doesn`t matter whether it is 1, 2 or 3 failing call centres, there is still a failure within the company, and I don`t entirely buy them being busy as being an excuse either. If the staffing levels are so low that wait times of this length are common (and judging from the 4 days and countless hours it took to speak to someone who could deal with my issue last week) then this is also indicative of a failing on the part of the company.

If just 1 out of 3 call centres is performing this badly then that reflects a systemic failure of 1/3rd of NTL's customer facing ability, I consider that to be worthy of severe criticism.
Old 09-09-2004, 15:06   #36
dr wadd

Quote:
So this just highlights the fact that NTL consistently cannot deal with calls in a timely fashion.
Old 09-09-2004, 15:16   #37
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Maybe, but I am not alone on this forum in having been kept waiting more than an hour for a CSR to answer my call. I don't think the Mirror's survey is unrepresenative in any way.

Neither do I think it's any mitigation that the average wait per call was only 16 minutes! As far as I'm concerned, waiting 16 minutes for a call to be answered is totally unacceptable.

The blame for this lies with whoever thinks they have employed enough people to answer the phones when clearly they haven't. But whoever that person is wants sacking, as Neil said, this kind of result is all too easily identified with NTL. Watchdog did a similar test a couple of years ago and got much the same results.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:27   #38
Jason1
Inactive

Services: SkyHD+ & Multi room 12MB SkyBroadband, Sky Talk
Jason1 is on a distinguished roadJason1 is on a distinguished road

It really does depend on what area you live in what time you are calling and which department.
When i called on monday it took 50 mins but the 1st person i spoke to was in the wrong call centre so they passed me to the correct one, I held to speak with c/s person i spoke to could not answer a question relating to my trail so he passed me to sales, held to speak with sales when i got through to sales they where able to help by now have spoken to 3 people just to get 1 question answered. Finally once speaking with sales I asked to be transfered to c/s to cancel, held to speak to c/s to be told i cant cancel as it was passed 5pm

But today called at 310 to confirm cancellation had gone through call only lasted 8.21 mins of which i held for about 5 mins lady I s/w was efficient and confirmed my cancellation date
All call centres get busy so if you hold for ages in the eveing try calling at a less busy time i am sure most if not all of ntl's staff will deal with our calls as quickly and efficently as they have been trained although if all they get irate customers and abuse then we cant blame them for ending our calls
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:30   #39
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

There's a difference between sales and support - nearly always is. Sales are fast to answer and very helpful, and support, er, isn't. Doesn't matter what company it is. It's pretty obvious that they're keen to sign you up because it's money for them, but after that they couldn't care less. Bit like a vampire saying, "This won't hurt". I think if you want an accurate picture you need to do a survey to find out what types of call people made and how long they waited.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:31   #40
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1
It really does depend on what area you live in what time you are calling and which department.
When i called on monday it took 50 mins but the 1st person i spoke to was in the wrong call centre so they passed me to the correct one, I held to speak with c/s person i spoke to could not answer a question relating to my trail so he passed me to sales, held to speak with sales when i got through to sales they where able to help by now have spoken to 3 people just to get 1 question answered. Finally once speaking with sales I asked to be transfered to c/s to cancel, held to speak to c/s to be told i cant cancel as it was passed 5pm

But today called at 310 to confirm cancellation had gone through call only lasted 8.21 mins of which i held for about 5 mins lady I s/w was efficient and confirmed my cancellation date
All call centres get busy so if you hold for ages in the eveing try calling at a less busy time i am sure most if not all of ntl's staff will deal with our calls as quickly and efficently as they have been trained although if all they get irate customers and abuse then we cant blame them for ending our calls
That situation you have just described is what we have been referring to (for years) as 'ntl telephone ping pong', & it's nothing new I'm afraid.
Old 09-09-2004, 15:42   #41
Jason1
Inactive

Services: SkyHD+ & Multi room 12MB SkyBroadband, Sky Talk
Jason1 is on a distinguished roadJason1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
That situation you have just described is what we have been referring to (for years) as 'ntl telephone ping pong', & it's nothing new I'm afraid.
That's my main reason for cancelling the right hand at ntl never knows what the lefts doing took them 2 months to confirm charges that would be applied to my account all it would take is a weekly update to all c/s staff informing them of current promotions, afaik that doesnt seem to happen managment problem there, Fortunately bt now as of the 6th of september have extended their reach of adsl to 10km therefore after 3 years of waiting i am going to downgrade from ntl's 750k slow browsing service to 512k adsl which whilst has a slower d/l speed browsing page to page seems quicker
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:44   #42
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Almost equally unacceptable in my opinion.

Quote:
What I do expect though, is the conducters of the survey to give a fair view of the company call centres as a whole.
I think they did, the article stated how the test was performed. Readers are able to make up their own mind. Whilst the Mirror might be branding the whole company, I think we as customers have experienced such problems first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Neither do I think it's any mitigation that the average wait per call was only 16 minutes! As far as I'm concerned, waiting 16 minutes for a call to be answered is totally unacceptable.

The blame for this lies with whoever thinks they have employed enough people to answer the phones when clearly they haven't. But whoever that person is wants sacking, as Neil said, this kind of result is all too easily identified with NTL. Watchdog did a similar test a couple of years ago and got much the same results.
Agreed. Also, I think the point I haven't made here yet is that I'm not blaming the people answering the phones (OK so maybe some of them I am) but the bigger picture is that the systems, staffing and training are not up to scratch - and that is the management's fault.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 15:54   #43
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
That's my main reason for cancelling the right hand at ntl never knows what the lefts doing
In my experience, the left hand doesn't even know that the right hand exists, let alone what it's doing.

Quote:
took them 2 months to confirm charges that would be applied to my account all it would take is a weekly update to all c/s staff informing them of current promotions, afaik that doesnt seem to happen managment problem there,
Same old ntl.

Quote:
Fortunately bt now as of the 6th of september have extended their reach of adsl to 10km therefore after 3 years of waiting i am going to downgrade from ntl's 750k slow browsing service to 512k adsl which whilst has a slower d/l speed browsing page to page seems quicker
You won't regret that m8, I sure of it.
Old 09-09-2004, 15:58   #44
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
the bigger picture is that the systems, staffing and training are not up to scratch - and that is the management's fault.
Absolutely-that is something I have been saying for years.

The monkies at the top don't give a stuff about the wage paying customers, all they are interested in is lining their pockets.

The problems being discussed here on CF are nothing new when it comes to ntl, it's the same old story-BS from associates who woiuld rather lie than go find out the facts/phone calls promised but not returned/telephone ping pong/engineers not turning up & then ntl offering an appointment in another 2 weeks time/no one willing to own a customer's problem.

I could go on, but like I say, it's nothing new when it comes to ntl.
Old 09-09-2004, 17:28   #45
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Quote:
What I do expect though, is the conducters of the survey to give a fair view of the company call centres as a whole.
The test was quite fair.

Each company tested was called randomly, and it was up to the company concerned to direct the journalist to the relevant call centre. Customers do not call multiple times to try the fastest call centre - they should all be fast from a customer perspective.

The fact is that ntl came out worst in this test. Nobody is suggesting that this is reflective of ntl's other call centres, so maybe in the next test they will fair better?
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote