Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New to NTL

Old 23-10-2004, 01:26   #1
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age
New to NTL

Hi all,
I am just coming up to the end of my first week connected to NTL, so far my experience has been better than I expected. I had the 1.5Mb BB and Phone Line installed by NTL, previously I was with BT and their 512Kb ADSL service.

The installation date was brought forward six days and the lads arrived to stretch the cable at 8.00AM on the dot. I am using the Ethernet connector on the SACM and so far D/L speeds have been just over 3 times faster with U/L speeds 20Kb less than I had with ADSL.

The SACM provided by NTL is much better than the BT USB Modem.

The only calls I have made to customer services have been regarding the billing, separate bills for phone and BB but only one Direct Debit to sign which did not mention BB, I think I understand how they work it now... at least I always got through to CS instantly and my queries where handled politely and efficiently.

There have been two outages this week, which I assume were due to maintenance, other than that everything has been perfect.

Originally I was a little apprehensive to say the least, especially as my ADSL had run perfectly at all times, but now I am pleased I made the change, the extra speed and the crystal clear phone line are both very welcome improvements.

Job well done NTL

slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2004, 01:33   #2
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
Re: New to NTL

welcome to the cable forum 'slowcoach' glad to see that NTL can get it right
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 03:49   #3
slowcoach
Inactive

slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Thanks for the welcome kronas, seems like the ideal forum to get my wings regarding cable.
Old 23-10-2004, 09:46   #4
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

That it is! Plenty here who can help out as well
Old 23-10-2004, 10:38   #5
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

slowcoach good to see our area is working well.
Think we could have the best manager for the area just have to watch this space with all the alterations that are going on at present.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 17:37   #6
slowcoach
Inactive

Hi Ramrod, you are right, I had a scan through the messages last night, nice to see how many people are offering help, especially the NTL employees going beyond the call of duty in their own time, they are the sort of employees that a company should cherish.

There are some subtly witty people on this forum, I had a good laugh reading some messages, Oscar Wilde is alive and well.

Hi Kits, thanks for the welcome.
After checking the modem firmware settings, my connection appears well up to spec. I don't mind downtime if it is in a good cause, it would be pretty boring living in a perfect world anyway. I am still pinching myself though, after reading some of the horror stories I still can't believe everything went so sweet, even BT have not held me to the mandatory 1 months notice which was nice of them.

There is nothing to fear, except fear itself...
If you cannot afford a new Jaguar you certainly cannot afford an old one...
Old 23-10-2004, 18:02   #7
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

20kb less upload speed? It should be the same on 1.5mbps broadband. I got 30kbps here?!
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 04:21   #8
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_wallasey
20kb less upload speed? It should be the same on 1.5mbps broadband. I got 30kbps here?!
My U/L speed is 246 Kb/s which = 30.75 KB/s, with ADSL I was getting 266 Kb/s.
I didn't expect cable to be as good as ADSL on the U/L speed, I was using an ADSL Router in place of the supplied USB Modem, but it actually turned out better than I was expecting.
Old 24-10-2004, 08:23   #9
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach
Hi Ramrod, you are right, I had a scan through the messages last night, nice to see how many people are offering help, especially the NTL employees going beyond the call of duty in their own time, they are the sort of employees that a company should cherish.

There are some subtly witty people on this forum, I had a good laugh reading some messages, Oscar Wilde is alive and well...
lol......I believe we also have an incarnation of the Marquis de Sade here as well
Old 24-10-2004, 16:05   #10
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
lol......I believe we also have an incarnation of the Marquis de Sade here as well
You prove my point.
Old 24-10-2004, 20:11   #11
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach
My U/L speed is 246 Kb/s which = 30.75 KB/s, with ADSL I was getting 266 Kb/s.
I didn't expect cable to be as good as ADSL on the U/L speed, I was using an ADSL Router in place of the supplied USB Modem, but it actually turned out better than I was expecting.
Cable is a lot better than ADSL. The latenecy on cable is much better than ADSL.
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 20:15   #12
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Yes, if by 'better' you mean 'higher'........

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 21:19   #13
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Slowcoach, good to see another "Ruffi'yed" on the fourm.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 22:57   #14
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_wallasey
Cable is a lot better than ADSL. The latenecy on cable is much better than ADSL.
A friend of mine reckons my web server is the fastest he has ever been on and if anything it is even faster now with cable, so you could be right
Old 24-10-2004, 23:06   #15
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
Slowcoach, good to see another "Ruffi'yed" on the fourm.
Thanks iadom, although I have lived most of my life in Oldham I lived in Royton until I got married I still don't feel like I am an Oldhamer, would I really want to