Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL seeks STB beta testers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL seeks STB beta testers

Old 13-10-2004, 17:39   #61
bigitup_j
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, TV and 20mb Broadband
bigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to bigitup_j Send a message via Yahoo to bigitup_j
Re: NTL seeks STB beta testers

what, ntl challenge sky?? haha.

vod will challenge sky, but vod is not being rolled out until early-2005, and then it won't be a secret, because everyone in a region will get the vod service.

(but, one must not mention any beta-testing......)
bigitup_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2004, 18:30   #62
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Early 2005 ain't that far away.

I completely understand both sides here - we all want to know what might be coming up, but ntl need to protect the investment in their new products and services.

It could just be that they will be offering something so cool that Sky could get their hands on it and do a pre-emtive launch.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 18:34   #63
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
It could just be that they will be offering something so cool that Sky could get their hands on it and do a pre-emtive launch.
But the nature of VoD means Sky cannot currently offer a similar package.

There have been all manner of suggestions in a VoD thread on Digitalspy with one particular poster suggesting Sky are either going to start including Broadband access in their STB's or allow customers to fit two-way LNB's to allow a high speed return path but as it stands currently only a hi-speed, physical link will be able to offer true video on demand.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 20:58   #64
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
Early 2005 ain't that far away.

I completely understand both sides here - we all want to know what might be coming up, but ntl need to protect the investment in their new products and services.

Realistically that cannot be the case. If Sky wanted to know what the beta testing was about surely they would subscribe to it? Sky must have NTL / TW boxes in some of their developers houses to see how the competition are doing it.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 21:09   #65
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Yes you could well be right, although I bet there ain't too many beta boxes in the Isleworth area...LOL
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 22:12   #66
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974
tell us more more more more
I cant im afriad would get kicked off the programe and I aint risking going back to the old software. Just wait and see you will be pleasantly surprised.
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004, 09:18   #67
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneeboy
Just to revisit this one, did anyone from CF sign up to the beta testing? What's it like?

Does it include the intended 2005 rollout of VoD software etc?

Just being nosey!
I have signed up for Langley, which hasn't started yet. But even when it does, I don't think we are allowed to say much.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004, 10:40   #68
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I have signed up for Langley, which hasn't started yet. But even when it does, I don't think we are allowed to say much.
not allowed to say anything :P
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 13:49   #69
seaneeboy
Inactive

Services: NTL 4Meg BB, Family Pack, Phone
seaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to seaneeboy

I did think that was the case, sorry to be the bringer of temptation!!
seaneeboy is offline   Reply With Quote