Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL seeks STB beta testers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

NTL seeks STB beta testers

Old 17-08-2004, 14:54   #16
AshleyJ
Inactive

AshleyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL seeks STB beta testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Ashley - I assume I can sign up just one of my STB's (I have three).
Yes, that would work.
AshleyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2004, 15:07   #17
ntlrocks
Inactive

ntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enough

will every thing like announcments and box testin stuff go into the same thread (on chetnet) that your two posts includin F.A.Q are?
ntlrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 15:36   #18
garyparson
Permanently Banned

Services: STB. BB. Phone. Wallasey.
garyparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the guttergaryparson likes to dwell in the gutter

Everyone on the Bromley network who has a surround setup has been beta testing the +10 sound change that MR1 brought to us and I can confirm that it's WAY TOO BLOODY LOUD. Put it back before my ears (and equipment) pack up.
garyparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 16:58   #19
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

I just hope this speed of the software is gonna be as fast as cr2 was, cr3 is bloated it takes like 3 minutes to start up and changing channels is a pain.

I dunno if its worth testing it on the 1000stb i got it can bearly handle cr3
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 17:58   #20
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Ashley, I would like to help out on these tests, I have a couple of questions though. I have 2 boxes and would prefer to use the main box as the other box is used for BB and a spare TV. The box I would use is a Di1000 series that has been showing "tuning paremeters corrupt" in the event log for almost two years now, but other than a tendancy to freeze occasionally when using interactive it is fine, would this cause a problem with the tests. Also I shall be away next week 21st August for one week. ( there will be someone else at home for all you burglars reading this. )

Jim.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 18:08   #21
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Foo Fighter / iadom: It could be very useful to test on your Di1000s - regardless of their state. ("tuning parameters corrupt" may indicate a dying battery or memory). We need to make sure the software works ok on all box models, so you'd be very welcome.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 18:27   #22
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Thanks for that, sorry to be a wally but on the underside of my box I can ID the make, model, part code but it is blank after it says "Serial No, then there is a long barcode, underneath this is a very small asterisk followed by

DAF AEON 050340731....is this the serial number.
Old 17-08-2004, 18:38   #23
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyJ
This is a risk of being part of the Beta Team. I ask everybody who has doubts to think long and hard about whether they really want to risk loosing services.

It's voluntary and a risk of short term problems could pay off with long term improvements.

AshleyJ
I would agree, which is why I'm not signing up on this occasion (mostly becuase the other half would have my balls on the bbq if she missed Eastenders!)

I think if you were suggesting that each tester would be loaned a new box with this beta software on, it would be far more beneficial, as we could simply plug the current one back in if it all went the way of the pear. Just a suggestion.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 18:54   #24
Nutty
Inactive

Nutty is on a distinguished roadNutty is on a distinguished road

iadom, pretty sure thats the serial number, the number under the barcode is what I put down anyway.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 19:13   #25
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
iadom, pretty sure thats the serial number, the number under the barcode is what I put down anyway.
Thanks, not very easy to read, upside down with varifocals

Signed up
Old 18-08-2004, 05:03   #26
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Ah real beta testing, what fun! At least ntl have an excuse when it doesn't work eh?

No, but seriously. Full marks to you Ashley -- just for seeing this idea through to fruition, not to mention the person who conceived the idea. And hell...you don't even work in customer service

And 10 brownie points to ntl for some exciting interaction with their customers.

As Ashley rightly says, it's voluntary and there is a risk of short term problems, but at least you get to see the cutting edge of DTV
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 12:02   #27
Jarandco
Inactive

Services: NTL 2 MEG
Jarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to Jarandco

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
I would agree, which is why I'm not signing up on this occasion (mostly becuase the other half would have my balls on the bbq if she missed Eastenders!)

I think if you were suggesting that each tester would be loaned a new box with this beta software on, it would be far more beneficial, as we could simply plug the current one back in if it all went the way of the pear. Just a suggestion.
Now see that idea would probabbly work fine in my house, id love to try this out, but i think if it all went wrong id have a lot of people moan at me. Plus i wouldnt mind a shiny new samsung box!

Is there no way this could be done?
Jarandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 12:22   #28
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
Thanks for that, sorry to be a wally but on the underside of my box I can ID the make, model, part code but it is blank after it says "Serial No, then there is a long barcode, underneath this is a very small asterisk followed by

DAF AEON 050340731....is this the serial number.
Yes, you also need to provide the number on the stuck on barcode that looks like an asset tag sticker mine started with 03nnnnnnnnn.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 08:34   #29
Jarandco
Inactive

Services: NTL 2 MEG
Jarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to Jarandco

that 'stuck on' barcodeyou talk of seems to be missing on mine, well it looks like it is...
Jarandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 10:16   #30
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarandco
that 'stuck on' barcodeyou talk of seems to be missing on mine, well it looks like it is...
Wait and see what Ashley says when you send him the info...
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote