Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Increasing BB Speeds Late Summer 2004

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] NTL Increasing BB Speeds Late Summer 2004
Closed Thread

Old 26-04-2004, 12:39   #46
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them
Re: [Merged] NTL Increasing BB Speeds

i ask cos with telewest there not increasing it for STB owners,so i would guess that NTL would follow suit,if thats the case their should be a reduction in price because you cannot have STB owners on 1 meg and cable users on 1.5 at the same price surely,after all its not the STB owners fault
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2004, 12:41   #47
dremmel
Inactive

dremmel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo[uk]
Whats the difference for STB owners?, ive read a few posts on here, people asking if the speed increase is going to be implemented for STB owners.

I would of thought so, I cant see any difference for us STB peeps..

Can anyone confirm this?.
IMU its all down to the config file sent to the 'modem', be it SACM or the STB, so if and when the 'magic happens' all NTL will do is send out a new bronze/silver/gold config file at the next DHCP renew request with all the needed info to allow for the 'new' and [sarcasm] FREE [/sarcasm] speed update
Old 26-04-2004, 12:42   #48
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

Am I the only one to think this is actually good news?

Everyone whinges when the price of 1 out of 3 service levels got a modest increase for the first time in ages - and complain ntl do nothing to justify it. When ntl DO do something positive everyone still manages to concentrate on percieved negatives!

I accepted the £3 rise on 1MB as being reasonably in line with general price rises - so to get a 50% speed hike FREE sounds good to me!

If beer went up from £3.50 a litre to £3.80, and then suddenly you got a 1.5 litre glass for the same price would you moan?
Old 26-04-2004, 12:44   #49
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

Due to technical limitations, upgrade will not apply to 1Mb customers receiving service via TV set-top box

thats on the telewest site,so i presume NTL will be the same techical limitations.....i hope not,otherwise NTL are just forgetting us mere mortal STB owners
Old 26-04-2004, 12:44   #50
Enterian
Inactive

Enterian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko

Everyone whinges when the price of 1 out of 3 service levels got a modest increase for the first time in ages - and complain ntl do nothing to justify it. When ntl DO do something positive everyone still manages to concentrate on percieved negatives!

I accepted the £3 rise on 1MB as being reasonably in line with general price rises - so to get a 50% speed hike FREE sounds good to me!

If beer went up from £3.50 a litre to £3.80, and then suddenly you got a 1.5 litre glass for the same price would you moan?
I'm a STB user - if I get it i'll be happy, however if SACM users get it and I don't and we all end-up paying the same I shall be seriously pi$$ed off!
Old 26-04-2004, 12:45   #51
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterian
Agreed that TW are not a competitor but the "NTL are increasing prices whilst TW are increasing speeds" scenario was not going to get them any good publicity, and was likely to put Aizad under some pressure!

Can the NTL infrastructure provide 3 meg?
Cable broadband can provide speeds well in excess of 3 meg. However, without knowing the technical details of all this, I would imagine they would have to lower the contention ratio so that fewer subscribers are sharing the same chunk of bandwidth. If they did not, 3 meg users would fairly quickly notice they were not getting the bandwidth they have paid for.

I know that there are costs for ntl if they lower contention ratios, but someone else will have to explain how that works.
Old 26-04-2004, 12:46   #52
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

AFAIK stb's are a bit flakey when you get up to 1 meg, so if you want the top speed go for a sacm.
Old 26-04-2004, 12:46   #53
dremmel
Inactive

Quote:
NTL selling beer, the mind boggles at the thought,

"Sorry Sir, we don't know when the dray will appear, but it will be coming shortly"
Old 26-04-2004, 12:48   #54
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

When will this upgrd happen? am in CS and not heard of this till just now!!!
Old 26-04-2004, 12:51   #55
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda
Front page of intranet has all the details you need.
Old 26-04-2004, 12:51   #56
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

It is good news, but don't kid yourself that you are getting a free upgrade on the 1mb service.

For a start, the price increase was about 8.6%. Inflation in the UK is currently below 2%. The increase was nothing short of huge. Secondly, is it a coincidence that they increase the price one month, then trumpet a 'free' speed increase the next? I think not. You are not being given anything for free, you are being forced to accept an upgrade for which you are paying.

The reasons they have done this are entirely for PR, I concede, because 1.5mb for £37.99 is still better value than 1mb for £34.99. But it's not as good as 1.5mb for £34.99.
Old 26-04-2004, 12:53   #57
dremmel
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda
The new speeds are being rolled out across the ntl cable network to existing and new customers. Customers will receive communication in advance of the speed increase.

from http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=702

so from the wording it would appear that the upgrade is already undeway. My bold
Old 26-04-2004, 12:54   #58
mcmanic
cf.addict

ok,if STB are flakey and your in a ex C&W area where they don't give you a cable modem UNLESS you have a problem via STB with your 1 meg service (like i did and now have a cable modem),will NTL send out cable modems to these people or will they be forced to pay the same as those on 1.5 meg if no-one is any wiser and don't mention it,do you see my point?
Old 26-04-2004, 12:57   #59
macstevejb
Inactive

macstevejb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Boy
AFAIK stb's are a bit flakey when you get up to 1 meg, so if you want the top speed go for a sacm.
well if that's the case I can see a whole host of subscribers wanting SACM's for the increaded BB speeds in addition to their STB's which they will retain for digi tv use only.
Old 26-04-2004, 12:59   #60
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremmel
The new speeds are being rolled out across the ntl cable network to existing and new customers. Customers will receive communication in advance of the speed increase.
Indeed...it is 'coming soon'
Closed Thread