Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Old 15-01-2007, 21:48   #1
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice
Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

I live in Swansea, South Wales, and usually with ntl my newsgroup access and a few websites run at full speed (1200 kilobytes p/s) on my 10meg connection.

However.

Last night, Sunday 14th, my speed dropped to almost exactly 5meg speed (580 kilbytes p/s) and stayed there all night. Now me being the trusting soul that I am put it down to a small fault somewhere and ignored it and when I got home from work tonight, low and behold my speed had returned to the full 10meg speed.

However.

By 7:30 this evening my speed had once again dropped to 5meg. At this point I thought wtf and decided to call India. At which point I was told to try the usual bumpf like rebooting, downloading from Microsoft etc which came to the conclusion that I was indeed getting 5 meg

Now, here comes the interesting point. The guy I was talking to told me that somewhere around 7:30 ish my modem had picked up a 5 meg config file. He then removed and re added my modem back into SABS and then advised of the old chesnut to wait 2 hours. At this point I was about to start shouting but then thought to check my speed. And what would you guess, once again I am getting 10 meg.

Now wtf is going on here?

For the last 2 nights at least ntl have been sending a 5 meg config file to my modem at around the 7 o'clock mark. I did ask the question as to whether traffic shaping was going on but was told no.

I didn't check my modem config file this evening untill it was to late and by then the modem had been re added, but I will be checking again if the same thing happens tomorrow and update but has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Cheers all
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2007, 21:51   #2
alanc34
Inactive

alanc34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

How do you check your config file on your modem?
alanc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 21:55   #3
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...tml#ntlhmdiags
Old 15-01-2007, 21:55   #4
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrk View Post
I live in Swansea, South Wales, and usually with ntl my newsgroup access and a few websites run at full speed (1200 kilo bytes p/s) on my 10meg connection.

However.

Last night, Sunday 14th, my speed dropped to almost exactly 5meg speed (580 kilo bytes p/s) and stayed there all night. Now me being the trusting soul that I am put it down to a small fault somewhere and ignored it and when I got home from work tonight, low and behold my speed had returned to the full 10meg speed.

However.

By 7:30 this evening my speed had once again dropped to 5meg. At this point I thought wtf and decided to call India. At which point I was told to try the usual bumpf like rebooting, downloading from Microsoft etc which came to the conclusion that I was indeed getting 5 meg

Now, here comes the interesting point. The guy I was talking to told me that somewhere around 7:30 ish my modem had picked up a 5 meg config file. He then removed and re added my modem back into SABS and then advised of the old chesnut to wait 2 hours. At this point I was about to start shouting but then thought to check my speed. And what would you guess, once again I am getting 10 meg.

Now wtf is going on here?

For the last 2 nights at least ntl have been sending a 5 meg config file to my modem at around the 7 o'clock mark. I did ask the question as to whether traffic shaping was going on but was told no.

I didn't check my modem config file this evening untill it was to late and by then the modem had been re added, but I will be checking again if the same thing happens tomorrow and update but has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Cheers all
NTL as far as i know cannot send a config to a modem each night and change it each morning. I checked my logs and the logs of my friends modem and it has never changed.

I will try to download of giganews now and post a screen shot.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:05   #5
morrk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
NTL as far as i know cannot send a config to a modem each night and change it each morning. I checked my logs and the logs of my friends modem and it has never changed.

I will try to download of giganews now and post a screen shot.
Until recently I worked as a senior in bb support in Swansea. Something very fishy is going on here I promise you. The agent I spoke to confirmed my modem had a 5 meg QOS and as soon as he dropped it out and back in it was fine. Are you in the Swansea area?

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Then again, just noticed you are in Chesire on STB. That cannot be changed so easly as you would need to provision each time.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Just had it confirmed by my mate that still works in NTL that this is indeed correct. NTl are dropping 10 meg to 5 in the evenings in Swansea as a trial
Old 15-01-2007, 22:06   #6
Bill C

Quote:
Until recently I worked as a senior in bb support in Swansea. Something very fishy is going on here I promise you. The agent I spoke to confirmed my modem had a 5 meg QOS and as soon as he dropped it out and back in it was fine. Are you in the Swansea area?

Then again, just noticed you are in Cheshire on STB. That cannot be changed so easily as you would need to provision each time.
No i am on a sacm.

I spent 3 years as a Engineer on Broadband in the North West covering training, Faults and new product testing.

Take a look at this. NTL are traffic shaping however i have not seen any kit or heard anything that would allow them to change you to 5 meg. Also there are no config files for 5 meg that i have seen. Constant speed on that download was 9.33 meg.

I know what kit they are using for the traffic shaping.
I know where its located.
I walked past it yesterday in my local site.

Its not been changed in any way since it was installed that i know of. To make a point here. I have no problems with p2p being shaped between 6.00pm and midnight. My newsgroup access is not being traffic shaped and i am sure others can back me up with that.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:10   #7
morrk
Inactive

Quote:

Then again, just noticed you are in Chesire on STB. That cannot be changed so easly as you would need to provision each time.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Just had it confirmed by my mate that still works in NTL that this is indeed correct. NTl are dropping 10 meg to 5 in the evenings in Swansea as a trial
Old 15-01-2007, 22:16   #8
Bill C

Quote:

I will check that tomorrow with a person involved with the traffic shaping.

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Quote:
Until recently I worked as a senior in bb support in Swansea.
Then you should know me ?
Old 15-01-2007, 22:18   #9
morrk
Inactive

Just ask anyone that works for NTL to read Nexus. Apparently it's all over it

I hate living in Swansea :P

Well appart from when the 20 meg trial was happening. And the Gower of course
Old 15-01-2007, 22:19   #10
Bill C

Quote:
Just ask anyone that works for NTL to read Nexus. Apparently it's all over it

I hate living in Swansea :P

Well appart from when the 20 meg trial was happening. And the Gower of course
If its on nexus i will log in now and look at it.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:29   #11
morrk
Inactive

I used to speak to engineers all the time until I was molested and put onto faults for almost a year

I used to like adding modems on for a fiver no questions asked hehe

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

I agree with your previous post btw. Yes p2p most definately cap it all but my usenet has always been spot on, but the last 2 days when my speed has dropped there has been no fluctuation whatsoever. 580 odd constant. Thats what got my spidey senses tingling.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:30   #12
Bill C

Cannot log in so will leave it till tomorrow. However if its true then i will not be able to confirm it any way as if and i say if its true then it will be classed as company confidential and at that point i will unsubscribe from this thread.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:34   #13
morrk
Inactive

I wouldn't worry too much anyways mate, its only Swansea apparently and I'm sure enough people will notice eventually if it is true eh
Old 15-01-2007, 22:49   #14
Bill C

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much anyways mate, its only Swansea apparently and I'm sure enough people will notice eventually if it is true eh
Indeed if this is true it will not stay a secret for long that you can be sure of.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:52   #15
zing_deleted

Quote:
I used to speak to engineers all the time until I was molested and put onto faults for almost a year

I used to like adding modems on for a fiver no questions asked hehe

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

I agree with your previous post btw. Yes p2p most definately cap it all but my usenet has always been spot on, but the last 2 days when my speed has dropped there has been no fluctuation whatsoever. 580 odd constant. Thats what got my spidey senses tingling.

sign up to giganews new secure package and you can use a different port used mainly for normal http traffic