Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Email Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

[Merged] NTL Email Issues
View Poll Results: NTL email - Any better ?
No - There has been no change 46 34.85%
No - Its got worse 63 47.73%
Yes - Its much better 17 12.88%
Pass - I dont use NTL email 6 4.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2004, 15:57   #466
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
Re: [Merged] NTL Email Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador
I've just received an email from 17th May, ie 16 days late. Can anyone beat this?
OOOHHH snap!!! I am glad it is happening to others as well as me.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2004, 18:44   #467
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

If you read back you will find a number of e-mails turning up from the 17th - obviously something happened on that date and they are slowly appearing.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 19:13   #468
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

But does that explain the 12,13,14,15,16,18 and 19th as well???
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:59   #469
Toreador
Inactive

Toreador is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem
If you read back you will find a number of e-mails turning up from the 17th - obviously something happened on that date and they are slowly appearing.
Yes, mine was from 17th. Presumably whatever happened was something unusual - perhaps that was the day there weren't any email problems?
Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:08   #470
Jason1
Inactive

Services: SkyHD+ & Multi room 12MB SkyBroadband, Sky Talk
Jason1 is on a distinguished roadJason1 is on a distinguished road

good old ntl kind enough to deliver my emails dated may 17th 2004
and this one from last year
Stephan Jimenez" <Ste?????enez@hotmail.com>
Date: 2003/08/27 Wed AM 09:05:55 GMT
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 18:55   #471
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

We have received the following update from NTL sources ;

Quote:
We have a major programme underway to upgrade our email service, and we are investing in state-of-the-art equipment and software.

Unfortunately during this period of moving across to this new platform, our mail service has not been was dependable as our customers would expect, and we have had major problems a group of customers [460,000 users, 270,000 active] on one particular email server on Thursday 27th May at 1000hrs.

The backup database used was stopped on May 18th at 01:01.
The mssr was put in place May 27th at 09:57.

We immediately switched to a back-up server so customers who access their mailbox regularly and download their email onto Outlook should not have noticed any problems.

However customers who only access and download mail occasionally will not have been able to access mail that was sent to ntl's server before that time, or saved in your Webmail folders - inbox, drafts, outbox or personal folders. We have since taken steps to restore the majority of that mail and the system is now up and running again.

Unfortunately we could not retrieve mail saved sent, received or saved in your ntl mailbox between Tuesday 18th May at 0100hrs and Thursday 27th May at 1000hrs, and you could be affected in the follow way:

Regular users via Outlook (every day):
You may notice that a few mails reappeared or were duplicated in your mailbox. This is because we took a back-up copy at a particular point on 18th May when those mails were in your mailbox. If you deleted these particular mails they may reappear, or if you saved them they may be duplicated.

Occasional users, those who had not checked for a number of days, those who accessed between 18th May and 27th May
We took a back up copy on 18th May and have restored your mail from that. We have not been able to restore any mail received from the time you last accessed & downloaded your mail to when our system was up and running again on Sunday. We have also not been able to retrieve any mail saved in your Webmail folders between 18th May and 27th May.

You may also notice that a few mails reappeared or were duplicated in your mailbox. This is because we took a back-up copy at a particular point on 20 May when those mails were in your mailbox. If you deleted these particular mails they may reappear, or if you saved them they may be duplicated.

Irregular users who did not access mail between 18th May and 27th May:
We have not been able to retrieve any mail delivered to mailboxes between 18th May and 27th May.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you and can assure that we are doing all we can to make sure this doesn't happen again. We would also encourage customers who were expecting important emails around the time of the server problems to check with the sender.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 19:43   #472
byron_hinson
Inactive

Services: 50 MB Broadband and Phone
byron_hinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to byron_hinson
Mail down again?

I'm getting the following error through my ntl account:

"Task 'pop.ntlworld.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR no such message.'"

Was working fine, but then died, tried mailing the account too and nothing comes through.
byron_hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 19:44   #473
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Mail down again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron_hinson
I'm getting the following error through my ntl account:

"Task 'pop.ntlworld.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR no such message.'"

Was working fine, but then died, tried mailing the account too and nothing comes through.
pm me the username for the account and i will have a look at it for you

MB
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 19:53   #474
byron_hinson
Inactive

Services: 50 MB Broadband and Phone
byron_hinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to byron_hinson

Fixed thanks - what caused it!
byron_hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 21:45   #475
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Any ideas what this means "
Task 'N - NTLMAIL - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR no such message.'"

I get this on one of my NTL accounts all the others collect fine and I can read the mail from this account fine using webmail. It is the primary account associated with my NTL account. Was OK earlier this evening then it suddenly started doing this..!!!

Doh - Guess who didn't check the previous posts!!!
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 21:51   #476
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
Any ideas what this means "
Task 'N - NTLMAIL - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR no such message.'"

I get this on one of my NTL accounts all the others collect fine and I can read the mail from this account fine using webmail. It is the primary account associated with my NTL account. Was OK earlier this evening then it suddenly started doing this..!!!

Doh - Guess who didn't check the previous posts!!!
byron_hinson had the same problem....

you need to telnet into the account, then list messages. Then use the top command to view each message, when you have done this it will say ERR mail does not exist (something along those lines). Then do list again and it should show the list minus the one you have just tried to view. Then repeat the process for all messages there. Send and receiving in OE will then be fine.

If you are not confident doing this pm me the username of the mailbox you are having problems with and i will sort it for you

MB
Old 03-06-2004, 22:11   #477
denial
Inactive

denial is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath

you need to telnet into the account, then list messages. Then use the top command to view each message, when you have done this it will say ERR mail does not exist (something along those lines). Then do list again and it should show the list minus the one you have just tried to view. Then repeat the process for all messages there. Send and receiving in OE will then be fine.

MB
I am getting the same error in Outlook but when trying to telnet into the account get the following message

Quote:
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond
denial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 22:12   #478
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial
I am getting the same error in Outlook but when trying to telnet into the account get the following message
pm me the username to the account before 10pm and i will have a look for you

MB
Old 03-06-2004, 23:09   #479
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Irregular users who did not access mail between 18th May and 27th May:
We have not been able to retrieve any mail delivered to mailboxes between 18th May and 27th May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
This is more along the lines of the sort of service you encounter in (underfunded) HE. Lost emails and having to telnet into a server to fix errors...
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:18   #480
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Some ntl internet customers may be unable to check their email at present due to a technical fault. This will affect customers using an email client such as outlook express or the webmail facililty at ntlworld.com. Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

The duration on the Server Status Page says 'Ongoing'!!

No ***** Sherlock-it's been 'ongoing' for over a year now.....
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote