Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wifi dropout

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

wifi dropout

Old 24-11-2018, 17:49   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: wifi dropout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
mon General likes Linksys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Do you still like Linksys or is Asus the way to go these days.
I used to be a Linksys fanboy but I haven't been for a while now, they went downhill years ago when Cisco dropped the brand and I think it was bought by Buffalo or DLink. I bought two new routers, something like the EA2500 and EA6300 back in 2014 ish and the gui and settings did my head and the whole thing looked like it was designed for dummies under the guise of "smart settings". When I needed to buy my next router which was February last year I switched to Asus and was very pleased. That is why I was able to provide the information that I did in the post that I linked to above. Unless something goes disastrously wrong I'll be sticking with Asus going forward. From your point of view it would be highly beneficial because the better Asus routers use mesh wifi.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2018, 17:57   #17
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I used to be a Linksys fanboy but I haven't been for a while now, they went downhill years ago when Cisco dropped the brand and I think it was bought by Buffalo or DLink. I bought two new routers, something like the EA2500 and EA6300 back in 2014 ish and the gui and settings did my head and the whole thing looked like it was designed for dummies under the guise of "smart settings". When I needed to buy my next router which was February last year I switched to Asus and was very pleased. That is why I was able to provide the information that I did in the post that I linked to above. Unless something goes disastrously wrong I'll be sticking with Asus going forward. From your point of view it would be highly beneficial because the better Asus routers use mesh wifi.
I've just dumped my BT Infinity circuit which has released a 2nd ASUS RT-AC68U Mesh router. Now to give that a go (shortly).

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 20:46   #18
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Thanks all for the thoughts
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 23:42   #19
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have never used a VM hub in anything other than modem mode and I have always plugged it into a self bought router,

The latest being a Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tri-band router.

I get regularly get over 200meg over wifi.
Old 25-11-2018, 18:58   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I have never used a VM hub in anything other than modem mode and I have always plugged it into a self bought router
me too. Back when I first got bb from VM back in 2000 the only tier in existence was 512k and VM only supplied you with a modem (Terayon TJ210) and not a router. I had the Linksys WRT54G back then and moved onwards from there.

I stayed modem only for as long as I could until they forced a shub1 on me for 120mbits and I put it in modem mode right from the get go and never even tried router mode just to see what it was like.

I know there is a balance of keeping it simple, not over complicating things and trying to reduce tech support calls but I honestly believe people who can competently setup their own router should have their own router. I think it would cure a lot of unnecessary problems.
Old 25-11-2018, 19:22   #21
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

But if the Hub3 works perfectly well then i cant see a reason to spend money on a router, i get full coverage in my house and over 200mbit via wifi.

I guess if i used a VPN then a separate router is the way to go though.
Old 25-11-2018, 19:52   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
But if the Hub3 works perfectly well
It doesnt though. I know it does for some people and that is great but there are still plenty of others for whom.it has been a nightmare. Cpe shouldnt be so hit and miss.
Old 25-11-2018, 20:08   #23
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You'll get a Hub 3 which is now a respectable device.
Seriously?? ... one of the reasons I left VM was because of the appalling SHUB 3 performance , and it was only in modem mode ... dropping out all the time etc, etc!
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 20:40   #24
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
Seriously?? ... one of the reasons I left VM was because of the appalling SHUB 3 performance , and it was only in modem mode ... dropping out all the time etc, etc!
Dropping out when in modem mode is usually due to problems in the circuit.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 21:52   #25
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It doesnt though. I know it does for some people and that is great but there are still plenty of others for whom.it has been a nightmare. Cpe shouldnt be so hit and miss.
I actually never had a problem with the SH1, SH2, SH2ac and Hub3 where i live. lol

If i had a larger house with thicker walls i would probably need a separate router but most ISP provided routers have lesser wifi range than standalone.
Old 27-11-2018, 21:01   #26
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
me too. Back when I first got bb from VM back in 2000 the only tier in existence was 512k and VM only supplied you with a modem (Terayon TJ210) and not a router. I had the Linksys WRT54G back then and moved onwards from there.

I stayed modem only for as long as I could until they forced a shub1 on me for 120mbits and I put it in modem mode right from the get go and never even tried router mode just to see what it was like.

I know there is a balance of keeping it simple, not over complicating things and trying to reduce tech support calls but I honestly believe people who can competently setup their own router should have their own router. I think it would cure a lot of unnecessary problems.

I bought the TJ210 from VM to save on the monthly fee with was added later.