Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Caller ID

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Caller ID

Old 21-09-2018, 10:24   #31
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Caller ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I just contacted them and it's been added for free - but I'm still none the wiser as to whether or not it would have been added automatically come October. Was given a 24 hour window for it to activate but I've checked and it was working straight away.
Cheers for that, rung and got free Caller Display added. Seems bizarre you have to ring up and get it, why not just give to everyone ? They haven't exactly advertised this. As predicted, the price rise has more than wiped out the benefit out for most. There's 'free' and VMs interpretation of 'free'
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2018, 11:23   #32
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I think i have just had this added.

How do i enable it as i just phoned from my mobile and no number popped up?

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I just contacted them and it's been added for free - but I'm still none the wiser as to whether or not it would have been added automatically come October. Was given a 24 hour window for it to activate but I've checked and it was working straight away.

How did you check it as i am meant to have it now and dialling from my mobile nothing displays on the phone assuming my house phone isnt too old?
Old 28-09-2018, 11:27   #33
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Mine just worked straight away, I did have to add/tweak a few numbers to my home phone for people I only contacted by mobile but all the numbers on my VM phone were recognised. I also use Call Blocker and had no real problems other than having to register spam calls with my main phone rather than by any extension as I had done in the past.
Old 28-09-2018, 16:22   #34
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I think i have just had this added.

How do i enable it as i just phoned from my mobile and no number popped up?

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

How did you check it as i am meant to have it now and dialling from my mobile nothing displays on the phone assuming my house phone isnt too old?
Mine didn't work till the next day.
Old 28-09-2018, 18:29   #35
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Mine didn't work till the next day.
Does it just work or do I have to change a setting on the phone?

Will dig the manual out over the weekend but the phone is several years old so it may need changing?

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Got it listed on myvm at last.
Old 28-09-2018, 18:41   #36
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Does it just work or do I have to change a setting on the phone?

Will dig the manual out over the weekend but the phone is several years old so it may need changing?

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

It should just work if the handset supports it, I didn't change anything. I think most should support it these days.

You can do fun stuff like give the Mother-in-Law her own ring tone. I've given mine 'Ding Dong the Witch is dead' from the Wizard of Oz
Old 29-09-2018, 10:06   #37
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Still not working on my phone and it has been 24hrs since it was added, my phones an old Philips Dect 215 but it does say it supports caller ID in the manual and i don't really want to go and ask a neighbour if i can try theirs.
Old 29-09-2018, 11:16   #38
StevenNT
cf.addict

Services: 500Mb Hyperoptic, Sky Signature with HD, UHD and Ultimate On Demand
StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them

I called about it for me along with some other odd issues on my landline (no voicemail or outbound caller id), will see what happens in 24 hours on this along with inbound caller id

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Quote:
Where on My VM is it so I can see if mine was done?
StevenNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 11:56   #39
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNT View Post
I called about it for me along with some other odd issues on my landline (no voicemail or outbound caller id), will see what happens in 24 hours on this along with inbound caller id

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Where on My VM is it so I can see if mine was done?
Sign in to MYVM on the first page below where it says My Latest Bill click on view contract then you should have it listed under the Virgin Phone part, assuming you can view your contract online as i couldn't before i rang retentions.

It did take a few hours for my service changes to show up on MYVM though.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Just got the parents to phone me and their name popped up on the phone so it is working from a call from a land line but not from my mobile.

edit

It's now working from my mobile too so it took about 25hrs to start working from when i phoned retentions.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 29-09-2018 at 11:28.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 11:59   #40
StevenNT
cf.addict

StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Sign in to MYVM on the first page below where it says My Latest Bill click on view contract then you should have it listed under the Virgin Phone part, assuming you can view your contract online as i couldn't before i rang retentions.

It did take a few hours for my service changes to show up on MYVM though.
I'll wait a few hours to see if it actually appears for me too, I have an e-Contract so I'm able to view it
Old 29-09-2018, 12:09   #41
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I wonder if everyone who are currently paying a charge for caller ID will get an email telling them of their bill reduction seeing as from the 1st October they can't charge for it?
Old 29-09-2018, 17:04   #42
StevenNT
cf.addict

Quote:
I wonder if everyone who are currently paying a charge for caller ID will get an email telling them of their bill reduction seeing as from the 1st October they can't charge for it?
Not sure, but I called up to help with my dad's VM Phone and Broadband package that's considered legacy now (and paying too much), he was paying for it and when I did the change it was thrown in for free. Not quite what you asked but looks like they are dropping the charges on any package change. But hopefully they will drop it even if you don't call.
Old 29-09-2018, 23:37   #43
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Not sure, but I called up to help with my dad's VM Phone and Broadband package that's considered legacy now (and paying too much), he was paying for it and when I did the change it was thrown in for free. Not quite what you asked but looks like they are dropping the charges on any package change. But hopefully they will drop it even if you don't call.
Ofcom say no one can charge for Caller Display come October, so VM will be on the naughty step if they charge anyone ! Why they aren't rolling this out automatically and letting it generally be known it's now free is strange; can't imagine there is any extra cost involved as the technology is there.
Old 30-09-2018, 16:28   #44
paul0363
cf.member

paul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nice

Quote:
Still not working on my phone and it has been 24hrs since it was added, my phones an old Philips Dect 215 but it does say it supports caller ID in the manual and i don't really want to go and ask a neighbour if i can try theirs.
It depends how old your phone is. Some older phones only supported BT's implementation of caller display. Cable uses a different signalling method but all newer phones should be compatible with both.

Have a look here. This is an old document and some of the links in it don't work but it will give you some info about caller display in the UK.

Last edited by paul0363; 30-09-2018 at 16:38.
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 19:06   #45
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0363 View Post
It depends how old your phone is. Some older phones only supported BT's implementation of caller display. Cable uses a different signalling method but all newer phones should be compatible with both.

Have a look here. This is an old document and some of the links in it don't work but it will give you some info about caller display in the UK.

Luckily it started working 25hrs after it was activated.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Quote:
I'll wait a few hours to see if it actually appears for me too, I have an e-Contract so I'm able to view it

Is it working yet?