Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2018, 17:55   #1516
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Discussion (Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
To be fair, the likes of Denmark have been planning for a no deal Brexit, as they will be particularly hard hit as the UK is one of the main markets for their bacon.
One of the reasons why, ultimately, a deal with the EU will be done.

Incidentally, I don't see how a WTO Brexit is going to help the Irish border situation (from the EU's perspective) which is another major reason why the EU will find a way of resolving their red lines.
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2018, 18:28   #1517
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, I don't know what you expect the government to do, given that these assurances have actually been given and well publicised. Maybe the companies employing these individuals could do more to publicise what the government has said, in an effort to make them feel more secure.

I have nothing but contempt for those individuals being nasty to foreign workers, but the government can't do very much about them that they haven't already done.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Presumably, and I see nothing wrong with that.

My parents emigrated to Australia in the 1970s, but my father had to demonstrate first that he had the skills that they needed.

Perfectly reasonable in my book.
Oh, I agree with you and the company I work in has been proactive at sharing information at every level up to and including our CEO and country lead stating that EU employees are wanted and will be supported by the company. I am not sure what more they can do to allay the fears of these employees. I have also seen the governments advice to employers and it looks good. That said, many in my company have doubts despite all that has been done.

As an aside, you mentioned skills shortages. When I run the country, I would annually assess a 10 year skills plan and pay the tuition fees for any university course that addresses those needs. Short of doctors? How about free tuition? Not Brexit related, but a fun idea
Old 28-09-2018, 18:35   #1518
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And, I assume, the same rules would apply to Brits who want to live in any of the EU countries.
This development is looking bad news for the wannabe expats

UK nationals would suffer under skills-based immigration, EU tells Javid

Quote:
The home secretary, Sajid Javid, has been warned by Brussels that the UK’s own nationals will suffer if it introduces a post-Brexit immigration system that discriminates between European citizens according to their skills.
Sort of obvious really ...

Of course when we go abroad to live (and maybe work), we are "expats". When someone from abroad comes here to do the same, they are "foreigners" ...
Old 28-09-2018, 19:08   #1519
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

Of course when we go abroad to live (and maybe work), we are "expats". When someone from abroad comes here to do the same, they are "foreigners" ...
I trust that this comes as no surprise. Does anyone really expect that if we tell the EU we will take people in according to their skills that the EU won't do the same?

I have nothing against that principle, frankly, and I don'r see why anyone would have any issues with it.

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Oh, I agree with you and the company I work in has been proactive at sharing information at every level up to and including our CEO and country lead stating that EU employees are wanted and will be supported by the company. I am not sure what more they can do to allay the fears of these employees. I have also seen the governments advice to employers and it looks good. That said, many in my company have doubts despite all that has been done.

As an aside, you mentioned skills shortages. When I run the country, I would annually assess a 10 year skills plan and pay the tuition fees for any university course that addresses those needs. Short of doctors? How about free tuition? Not Brexit related, but a fun idea
I have nothing to take issues with over your post!
Old 29-09-2018, 11:27   #1520
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

I'm not sure of your point here. Is it a sort of sour note?

Seen from here, our citizens who go to work/live abroad are "expats". Seen from there, our citizens who go to live/work there are seen as "foreigners".

My advice is at your risk.
Old 29-09-2018, 12:42   #1521
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Mr K, I've found you an upside to a no-deal Brexit! It might even persuade you to become a Leave supporter!

Quote:
Food supplier proposes vegetarian dishes in case of no-deal Brexit.
One of Britain’s biggest food suppliers to pubs, prisons and royal palaces has held talks with customers over switching to vegetarian dishes to avoid meat shortages that could be triggered by a no-deal Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit
Old 29-09-2018, 13:02   #1522
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Mr K, I've found you an upside to a no-deal Brexit! It might even persuade you to become a Leave supporter!

Trust the Grauniad to report this drivel. More Project Fear by slant. The UK produces beef, lamb, pork, poultry in more than enough quantity for our consumers. Let alone what we can obtain from the ex-Commonwealth countries.

Regarding fruit, there’s Africa and the USA. For wheat, there’s the UK and Canada; for tomatoes etc, if the stupid EU won’t bend for Holland, we’ll grow them ourselves, obvs.

Old 29-09-2018, 13:03   #1523
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

Another one of those scare stories which is actually quite laughable. Made my day, that one!

The more ridiculous these Project Fear stories get, the less people will believe them. So that's good as far as I am concerned!

Incidentally, if Question Time on BBC1 is anything to go by, there seems to be pretty strong support for the idea of leaving on WTO terms. Project Fear has failed, big time.
Old 29-09-2018, 13:04   #1524
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

That Labour Trot (Ian someone) on QT got a good going over from JRM and the audience. What a lot of Commie reduce us all to nothing poop he came out with.

Old 29-09-2018, 15:26   #1525
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Trust the Grauniad to report this drivel. More Project Fear by slant. The UK produces beef, lamb, pork, poultry in more than enough quantity for our consumers. Let alone what we can obtain from the ex-Commonwealth countries.

Regarding fruit, there’s Africa and the USA. For wheat, there’s the UK and Canada; for tomatoes etc, if the stupid EU won’t bend for Holland, we’ll grow them ourselves, obvs.
Actually, it’s about 80%.

http://www.countryfile.com/article/can-uk-feed-itself
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 29-09-2018, 15:48   #1526
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
80% will do. New Zealand, Australia, Argentina & Canada can compete for the rest.

Old 29-09-2018, 19:23   #1527
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The whole food import/export thing is quite interesting and very much consumer led. According to this report - http://beefandlambmatters.blogspot.c...w-zealand.html we were the second largest importer AND third largest exporter of sheep meat which of course doesn’t make sense until we look at consumer trends. Cuts like legs and chops are popular but other cuts not so much so we are not self sufficient in the cuts we want and sell on what’s left abroad. Remember when the lamb shank used to be a cheap cut of meat until demand here in the uk rose?

Another example is with fish where we export a hell of a lot of fish but also import a lot of cod as this is what the consumer wants.

We could probably be more self sufficient in many foods if we are flexible in what we eat.
Old 29-09-2018, 19:54   #1528
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
80% will do. New Zealand, Australia, Argentina & Canada can compete for the rest.
You are right, but you forgot to mention that really small US market!
Old 29-09-2018, 19:55   #1529
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Water finds its own level and so will foodstuff. That has to be obvious.

Old 29-09-2018, 19:57   #1530
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
The whole food import/export thing is quite interesting and very much consumer led. According to this report - http://beefandlambmatters.blogspot.c...w-zealand.html we were the second largest importer AND third largest exporter of sheep meat which of course doesn’t make sense until we look at consumer trends. Cuts like legs and chops are popular but other cuts not so much so we are not self sufficient in the cuts we want and sell on what’s left abroad. Remember when the lamb shank used to be a cheap cut of meat until demand here in the uk rose?

Another example is with fish where we export a hell of a lot of fish but also import a lot of cod as this is what the consumer wants.

We could probably be more self sufficient in many foods if we are flexible in what we eat.
We will presumably be able to fish more cod for ourselves once freed of the common fisheries policy.

There is far too much emphasis on the negatives of leaving the EUB without balancing these with the positives. We all need to lighten up!
Closed Thread