Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2020, 00:54   #886
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Latest crap in our local paper . . . . some snippets:

Quote:
More than 4000 people are thought to currently have Covid-19 in northern Lincolnshire.

The estimate has been made by the world's largest ongoing Covid study, which has been tracking millions of people's symptoms as the pandemic unfolds.
Quote:
It also claims that there are 574,539 people with symptomatic Covid currently in the UK.
Quote:
It has been put together by health science company ZOE, which has been tracking the pandemic by asking people to enter their symptoms into an app.

So far, more than four million people have contributed globally.

They use the information to predict who has the virus and monitor its spread across different parts of the UK.
Right, the bit in bold . . lets go for 'higher than normal temperature, loss of taste & smell, breathing difficulties', they seem a good three to submit.

Is it a nasty bout of Flu or Covid-19? . . . if you've not been tested, you're guessing and screwing the true figures up
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2020, 08:29   #887
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I take part in this survey, and they contact you with further questions if you report those symptoms.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 13-11-2020, 09:22   #888
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The Government had two choices - release it untested and label it as such or get it tested. Labelling something as tested when it isn't hasn't been has lots of downsides.

---------- Post added 13-11-2020 at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was 12-11-2020 at 23:15 ----------

Need to make sure we don't cut our nose off here to spite our face.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...warns-12130837
I would've thought the boss of a company suppling a crucial component of the vaccine to be more concerned about getting his product into the EU so that the vaccine can be produced rather than joining project fear.
Old 13-11-2020, 09:32   #889
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I would've thought the boss of a company suppling a crucial component of the vaccine to be more concerned about getting his product into the EU so that the vaccine can be produced rather than joining project fear.
I read it as he's saying getting the ingredient shipped out of the UK could become harder after January if/when there are border delays. There is then the similar issue of getting any completed vaccine or supporting supplies shipped back into the UK.

Quote:
"The worry of course, the last thing we need, is a problem with a lack of an agreement, and you've got friction at the borders, and I'm sure the UK government are acutely aware of this," he said.

"We must make sure that the vaccine doesn't have any problems getting into the UK, into the supply chain, or even the practical issues of refrigerant technologies and everything else. They could be products that are needed for the UK that are sourced abroad, so making sure that we are free from friction at the borders is is a crucial step for the vaccine."

Last edited by BenMcr; 13-11-2020 at 09:39.
Old 13-11-2020, 09:46   #890
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I read it as he's saying getting the ingredient shipped out of the UK could become harder after January if/when there are border delays. There is then the similar issue of getting any completed vaccine or supporting supplies shipped back into the UK.
So getting a product into the UK is actually sending it out of? Nowhere is exporting the ingredient mentioned.
Old 13-11-2020, 10:05   #891
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So getting a product into the UK is actually sending it out of? Nowhere is exporting the ingredient mentioned.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...tics-challenge
Quote:
Pfizer site in Puurs, Belgium, makes 40m vaccine doses destined for the UK
https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/b...koen-colpaert/
Quote:
The vaccine, which is still awaiting the green light from health authorities, is however already being produced at the Belgian site of Puurs, and at Pfizer’s Kalamazoo site in the state of Michigan in the US.
Old 13-11-2020, 10:46   #892
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Yeah, sipping the vaccines will be a big pain if it needs an ultra cold chain at -70°C. Normally, you would ship with dry ice to keep the temperatures down but that only lasts so long (the goods my company ship on dry ice, we give 48 hours maximum)

Without invoking the 'B' word, any friction at borders will be a big deal as the clock will be ticking if the trucks are moving or not. You can ship by air but dry ice is classified as dangerous goods due to CO2 being an asphyxiant so IATA limits loads to 200kg per shipment so trucks are without doubt the most effective way to go.

On the subject, if you want to invest some money, might I suggest CO2 suppliers (BOC, Air Products, Air Liquide) They're going to be making some serious money I think
Old 13-11-2020, 11:03   #893
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

So now you have fallen back on getting the vaccine into the country rather than getting one of the ingredients to produce it out of the country.
Old 13-11-2020, 11:18   #894
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Why wouldn't it be possible to fast-track certain items into the country?
It is goods travelling onwards to Ireland that get a bit tricky. How could they be fast-tracked?
Old 13-11-2020, 11:35   #895
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
The Yorkshire Ripper died this morning in hospital aged 74 after refusing any treatment for coronavirus.

The frail serial killer today became the pandemic's latest victim at precisely 1.10am after his lungs finally collapsed.

Strict coronavirus protocols mean he is thought to have spent his last moments alone - with visitors barred from his bedside.

Sutcliffe had spent almost 40 years locked up in Broadmoor and prison for murdering 13 women and attempting to kill seven others between 1975 and 1980.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Old 13-11-2020, 11:43   #896
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
So now you have fallen back on getting the vaccine into the country rather than getting one of the ingredients to produce it out of the country.
I don't understand what you're getting at?

Croda International are making components of the vaccine in the UK. The vaccine itself is being made out of the UK.

So to get a completed vaccine into the UK, you have to first get the components to make it out of the UK.

The point was that any border delays could affect the vaccine twice, depending on what agreements are in place.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Why wouldn't it be possible to fast-track certain items into the country?
It is goods travelling onwards to Ireland that get a bit tricky. How could they be fast-tracked?
It does look like the Government are aiming for a specific agreement to cover the vaccine to ensure that any issues in January are mitigated. I hope that works as well as they're saying it will

https://www.cityam.com/coronavirus-g...cine-delivery/
Old 13-11-2020, 12:08   #897
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

Croda International are making components of the vaccine in the UK. The vaccine itself is being made out of the UK.

So to get a completed vaccine into the UK, you have to first get the components to make it out of the UK.

The point was that any border delays could affect the vaccine twice, depending on what agreements are in place.

It does look like the Government are aiming for a specific agreement to cover the vaccine to ensure that any issues in January are mitigated. I hope that works as well as they're saying it will

Why would we need EU approval? It's being imported, the rules are for us to set, NOT THEM.
Old 13-11-2020, 12:12   #898
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:

Simple, the boss of a company producing a component of the vaccine warning about "possible" delays getting the vaccine into the country.

Why isn't he more bothered about getting the component his company is producing out of the country so the vaccine can be produced?
Old 13-11-2020, 12:32   #899
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Why would we need EU approval? It's being imported, the rules are for us to set, NOT THEM.
Not saying it's approval related, but if you have delays to lorries, drivers and other transport related logistics in the UK, then it reduces the availability on the other side of the border as there is only a finite amount of resource available.

Which is why the government is looking at this

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/heal...ys-b68920.html
Quote:
Coronavirus vaccines could be flown into the UK to avoid any potential disruption that Brexit may cause, the Health Secretary has said.
Old 13-11-2020, 12:37   #900
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Coronavirus vaccines could be flown into the UK to avoid any potential disruption that Brexit may cause, the Health Secretary has said.
This ^ ^
Closed Thread