Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles

Old 29-04-2019, 11:56   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles

In amongst the new V.VIP pack and broadband speed level news today is this.

Quote:
Pick ‘n’ Mix TV packs

With Personal Picks, customers can pick and mix their TV options to create a personalised TV line-up and control the price they pay for the telly they love every month.

Available with Virgin Media’s great value Player bundle, customers can add up to four Entertainment Picks: Entertainment & Drama, Entertainment & Documentaries, Entertainment & Lifestyle and Entertainment & Sport Lite.

Each Pick includes Sky One, Sky Witness, Gold HD and Comedy Central HD as well as a great selection of channels relating to each of the four genres, plus must-see box sets.

Customers can add one Pick to their bundle for £10 per month with each subsequent Pick costing £7 per month. Picks can be changed every month.

A dedicated Kids Pick is also available on Player and Full House packages and will keep Virgin Media’s youngest viewers entertained for just £5 per month. This includes 11 channels, such as Disney XD, Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network, as well as many episodes available via catch-up and box sets.

Customers can also add a range of premium TV packs to their bundle such as Sky Sports, Sky Cinema HD and BT Sport, as well as subscribe to Netflix, Hayu and Starzplay.

On top of this, Full House and V.VIP customers can experience blockbuster entertainment in stunning 4K Ultra High Definition with the Virgin TV Ultra HD channel.

All customers can enjoy their favourite shows included in their bundle on the move with the Virgin TV Go app which can be accessed across multiple devices such as mobiles, tablets and laptops. Customers can watch live TV, catch up and on-demand box sets and Full House and V.VIP customers can also download a host of shows to watch offline.

Lutz Schüler concluded:

“Our new Personal Picks mean viewers can tune into the shows they love, picking and mixing the best channels around with the freedom and flexibility to change them every month.

“Whether it’s binge-worthy dramas like The Walking Dead, unearthing the planet’s secrets with a dazzling documentary or making sure they’re keeping up with Kardashians, Virgin Media customers can build a top telly line-up and stay in control of the price they pay for their package.”
Source: https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...bundle-line-up
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2019, 12:20   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles

I did a VM survey about this a few months ago. All the "packs" had bizarre names, but seemed to be weighted towards including certain channels, most of which I would never watch. So less about choice, more about charging more for mainstream channels. If I could ACTUALLY choose what channels I wanted, and pay less, I'd only choose about 6 channels that were not "free to air" on freeview.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 12:46   #3
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
In amongst the new V.VIP pack and broadband speed level news today is this.

Source: https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...bundle-line-up
Are they going to mail existing long term customers with these offers, or is it new customers only again
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 13:22   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Are they going to mail existing long term customers with these offers, or is it new customers only again
"New and existing customers..."
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 14:01   #5
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

Looks like they're taking the kids channels out of Full House, and putting them exclusively behind the extra £5 a month charge:

Quote:
A dedicated Kids Pick is also available on Player and Full House packages and will keep Virgin Media’s youngest viewers entertained for just £5 per month. This includes 11 channels, such as Disney XD, Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network, as well as many episodes available via catch-up and box sets.
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bun...tvlistings-top
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 14:15   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewEastaugh View Post
Looks like they're taking the kids channels out of Full House, and putting them exclusively behind the extra £5 a month charge:

Good, hope they have to use up their pocket money on it
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 14:34   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Nice spot. I did read that, but clearly my coffee hadn't kicked in and I didn't see that interpretation of it.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

The table on that link now has the tiers being sold to the public as Player, Player + Drama (though you can change the +bundle part), Full House and V.VIP.
Old 29-04-2019, 14:54   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

If this is the case, this is just what Now TV did.

This new pick 'n' mix system might work out for some people, but by the time you've paid an extra £10/£17, you might as well get Full House anyway.

The non discounted price of the Player Pack is £54 per month. Adding one pack makes it £64 and two makes it £71. The non discounted Full House is £78 (£60.94 with my discounts). As you can see, if I went for the Player Pack and one bundle, it would cost me £3.06 more for a lot less channels!

If I only wanted the basic service plus the childrens channels, I would save the princely sum of £1.94 per month, again, for a lot less channels.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 29-04-2019 at 15:05.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 14:59   #9
Unknownguy
Inactive

Unknownguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I'm guessing that's for new customers only?
Unknownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 14:59   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I just looked closer at this. If you sort that table by Kids channels only the FTA ones will be in all packs. Only V.VIP will have the Pay TV ones.

If I assume packs such as Mix and Fun are now legacy packs but will remain with current Kids TV selection but are not available to new customers.

The table is not showing the Pay TV Kids channels under Full House, so either VM is automatically going to add the Add On to existing customers (which they can remove) or they are going to have two versions of the Full House tier, the old one, which will remain but no longer be sold to new customers and the new Full House.

I suspect the latter.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 29-04-2019 at 15:18. Reason: Typo sorted
Old 29-04-2019, 15:00   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

It's only right, really. If you don't have children in your family, why should you be made to pay for the children's channels?

This is clearly an intelligent review of bundles, taking account of the growing attraction of skinny bundles and the anticipated cord cutting that is likely to take place here as it has in the States. Expect any new UHD channels that come along to be available only to Full House and V VIP customers.

Assuming that Sky Atlantic will make its way to VM shortly, I expect that channel too to be made available to top tier customers only.

No savings for me, it seems.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:03   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If this is the case, this is just what Now TV did.

This might work out for some people, but by the time you've paid an extra £10/£7, you might as well get Full House anyway.
The Pay TV kids TV channels aren't in the new Full House if the table is to be believed, so getting Full House in the future won't get you any extra Kids channels than Player. The earlier highlighted line from the Press Release suggests this too.
Old 29-04-2019, 15:06   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
The Pay TV kids TV channels aren't in the new Full House if the table is to be believed, so getting Full House in the future won't get you any extra Kids channels than Player. The earlier highlighted line from the Press Release suggests this too.
Whilst this won't affect me, this looks like a further devaluation of Full House then. There was a leak some time ago that said that VM were thinking of an add on kids pack, but I didn't think that they would be removed from Full House!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:15   #14
Unknownguy
Inactive

Unknownguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I just looked closer at this. If you sort that table by Kids channels only the FTA ones will be in all packs. Only V.VIP will have the Pay TV ones.

If I assume packs such as Mix and Fun are now legacy packs but will remain with current Kids TV selection but are not available to new customers.

The table is not showing the Pay TV Kids channels under Full House, so either VM is automatically going to add the Add On to existing customers (which they can remove) or they are going to have two versions os the Full House tier, the old one, which will remain but no longer be sold to new customers and the new Full House.

I suspect the latter.
Thanks for explaining it. That's what I trying to get at. I assume those under contract will keep the kids channels until end of existing contract as you suggested

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Quote:
Whilst this won't affect me, this looks like a further devaluation of Full House then. There was a leak some time ago that said that VM were thinking of an add on kids pack, but I didn't think that they would be removed from Full House!
I would imagine this leaves room for more haggling when renewing a contract! Customers won't pay the same or more for less viewing!
Unknownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:16   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Whilst this won't affect me, this looks like a further devaluation of Full House then.
As I said (somewhere) above, there will likely be two Full House packs, the old one at the old price with the Pay TV Kids channels and the new one at a new lower price that you can add the pack to if you want it.

The old Full House pack will be kept for existing FH customers, but withdrawn from sale to new customers.

You could be right though, there may not be enough to distinguish the tier as an ongoing product, especially if HD swaps continue. It might be worthwhile someone going through the new Full House channel table and looking for any other changes. I'm on a lower tier so am not that familiar with FH and above tier's content.