Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows Updates

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows Updates

Old 22-09-2019, 11:28   #1
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Windows Updates

Why do they take so long? And I mean hours. What on earth is it doing ? I've installed whole new operating systems quicker. The latest one, which it insisted I install or the World would collapse, I had to leave overnight. During which time the laptops battery ran out before it completed.

Admittedly it's an ancient laptop. Took an hour for it to undo the failed update. Wouldn't mind having if any of these updates made it quicker, but they just seem to slow it down more.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2019, 11:31   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Windows Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why do they take so long? And I mean hours. What on earth is it doing ? I've installed whole new operating systems quicker. The latest one, which it insisted I install or the World would collapse, I had to leave overnight. During which time the laptops battery ran out before it completed.

Admittedly it's an ancient laptop. Took an hour for it to undo the failed update. Wouldn't mind having if any of these updates made it quicker, but they just seem to slow it down more.
How old is your laptop Mr K?.
Old 22-09-2019, 11:37   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
How old is your laptop Mr K?.
6 years. Don't use it much tbh. Just for using Sky Go and hooking it up to the TV to watch the cricket Takes all its resources....

However I'm sure it has lot more RAM than they used for the computer on the Apollo missions ! Programmers are lazy and inefficient these days...
Old 22-09-2019, 11:42   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
6 years. Don't use it much tbh. Just for using Sky Go and hooking it up to the TV to watch the cricket Takes all its resources....

However I'm sure it has lot more RAM than they used for the computer on the Apollo missions ! Programmers are lazy and inefficient these days...
The trouble is Laptops age quickly as five years could be considered a good innings for it as like most electronic products we buy today they make them not to last sadly.
Old 22-09-2019, 11:46   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The trouble is Laptops age quickly as five years could be considered a good innings for it as like most electronic products we buy today they make them not to last sadly.
Then MS shouldn't insist you install updates on computers that aren't up to it. If it works, why fix it ? A racket to get you to buy new tech ? Surely not...
Old 22-09-2019, 11:49   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Then MS shouldn't insist you install updates on computers that aren't up to it. If it works, why fix it ? A racket to get you to buy new tech ? Surely not...
Of course its a racket as l thought you would have realised that by now as the slogan should be is "Built to use but not to last".
Old 22-09-2019, 11:51   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

When was the last time previously it was updated, and next time leave it plugged into the charger?

My updates usually take 5mins or less, but i do have an SSD.
Old 22-09-2019, 11:52   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If you switch to Linux your laptop will have a new lease of life. Using Linux is not as daunting as it used to be for novice users.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 11:56   #9
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
When was the last time previously it was updated, and next time leave it plugged into the charger?

My updates usually take 5mins or less, but i do have an SSD.
It updates automatically, and it was plugged into the charger, just forgot to turn the plug on However think I'll turn updates off from now, more trouble than they are worth.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If you switch to Linux your laptop will have a new lease of life. Using Linux is not as daunting as it used to be for novice users.
Yes, might give it a go.
Old 22-09-2019, 12:16   #10
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

I have two laptops here, one is 8 years old, the other is ten.

As you can probably guess, neither are of a 'spec' that would allow the latest Windows to run . . or even install.

They are both quite happily purring away, fully functional, with two different linux platforms installed. One has Linux Mint, the other Ubuntu Studio.

I'm not the cleverest bloke in our street but after a few awkward moments - and the extensive help available for linux users (new and old) all over the internet - it didn't take me long to figure out how to make things work. Many of the 'newbie' linux distros are actually designed to look and act very similar to windows . . . but without the hassle windows brings

Grab an old (working) laptop someone is throwing away and start to experiment Mr K . . you may be pleasantly surprised

Last edited by Carth; 22-09-2019 at 12:18. Reason: spelling . . missed the n out of windows . . was thinking it looked better tbh :)
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 12:34   #11
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:

My i5 with 16 gig RAM and SSD also took a long time
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 15:07   #12
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

to be fair, if you knew you were going to leave the laptop on overnight to update (or you walked away from it to go to bed leaving it updating), you should have plugged in the power. In fact, best practice is always to plug in power when running updates.

Other people have said the other things that need saying.
Old 22-09-2019, 16:21   #13
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Having to leave anything on overnight - or even a few hours - to do an 'update' is quite ridiculous IMO

Just what on Earth does the (or any) update consist of, that requires hours and hours to download and install
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 18:17   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It updates automatically, and it was plugged into the charger, just forgot to turn the plug on However think I'll turn updates off from now, more trouble than they are worth.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Yes, might give it a go.
I'm guessing you're still on Windows 7? After January 14th 2020 you won't have to worry about updating it as it won't be supported unless they extend it again.
Old 22-09-2019, 18:46   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I'm guessing you're still on Windows 7? After January 14th 2020 you won't have to worry about updating it as it won't be supported unless they extend it again.
I think you might have guessed wrong. I have an older laptop on Win7 and never known an update take hours.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote