Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 01:17   #1081
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Are you a red tape loving anti-business Corbynista? Then a no-deal Brexit is just up your street!

https://www.ft.com/content/30c58758-...0-3b065ef5fc55
We still crash out of the EU and have those alleged extra costs at the end of the "deal"/WA.

Just one item of Corbyn's proposed spending amounts to £250bn. That's a declared specific amount, not one estimated in any way.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2019, 08:31   #1082
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
If you’re serious, I agree.

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

I think I see where you are coming from now. Just to avoid confusion I was specifically talking about you. Not the issue. It’s you I have no idea about. I’m worried for you.
No need.

You said you had no idea what I was on about when I'm explaining that the legislation isn't in conflict. Both serve different functions. By your own admission you either fail to understand, or see the relevance of, the point being made. A point which contradicts the "understanding" of others on the forum.

If you don't have anything constructive to add I'm happy to leave the point here.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:35   #1083
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
No need.

You said you had no idea what I was on about when I'm explaining that the legislation isn't in conflict. Both serve different functions. By your own admission you either fail to understand, or see the relevance of, the point being made. A point which contradicts the "understanding" of others on the forum.

If you don't have anything constructive to add I'm happy to leave the point here.
I’m sorry, but now when I read your posts all get is visual static/ white noise.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:42   #1084
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’m sorry, but now when I read your posts all get is visual static/ white noise.
Again your inability to comprehend isn't my problem. I once again invite you to be constructive to the discussion.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:47   #1085
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Right! Everyone needs to calm down and discuss/debate any NEW developments in a civilised manner not rehash old arguments over and over again.Finish taking potshots at each other.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:03   #1086
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Just leave at the end of the month. No Election. Let Boris Johnson and the Tories get what they want and deal with the consequences if it's not as good as they say.

Nothing stopping us getting a closer UK-EU deal later on, after the election does happen.
I understand your frustration but your proposition is worrying to say the least. You think the Hard Brexit folks should have their toys to play with and possibly trash the country because you are frustrated? No consideration for the majority who do not want this outcome or the impact on those who literally cannot afford No Deal?

This is exactly the thinking that Cummings, Farage, et al are relying on: "Make It Stop, I Don't Care Anymore" ..
Old 08-10-2019, 10:40   #1087
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I understand your frustration but your proposition is worrying to say the least. You think the Hard Brexit folks should have their toys to play with and possibly trash the country because you are frustrated? No consideration for the majority who do not want this outcome or the impact on those who literally cannot afford No Deal?

This is exactly the thinking that Cummings, Farage, et al are relying on: "Make It Stop, I Don't Care Anymore" ..
It's a clear strategy to heighten public frustration. I think much of the "easiest negotiation in history" myths haven't helped. Whether we extend or leave we are still in for years of negotiations with the EU (and others). Probably decades. It's far from a quick win. Even Rees-Mogg conceded this it could take fifty years. Presumably his hedge fund sees quicker returns.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:16   #1088
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It's a clear strategy to heighten public frustration. I think much of the "easiest negotiation in history" myths haven't helped. Whether we extend or leave we are still in for years of negotiations with the EU (and others). Probably decades. It's far from a quick win. Even Rees-Mogg conceded this it could take fifty years. Presumably his hedge fund sees quicker returns.
In regards to the years of negotiations, the ones with the EU will be interesting. The overnight report from a "contact in Number 10" detailed on the spectator.co.uk website is illuminating:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...-negotiations/

Quote:
Earlier today, I sent a message to a contact in Number 10 asking them how the Brexit talks were going. They sent a long reply which I think gives a pretty clear sense of where they think things are.

So, in the interest of trying to let people understand where Number 10 reckon the negotiations are, here is their response
The response is long with the usual "blame the Irish" stratagem but this part is fascinating and will surely, if true, wind up "our friends and partners" on the continent:

Quote:
We will make clear privately and publicly that countries which oppose delay will go the front of the queue for future cooperation — cooperation on things both within and outside EU competences. Those who support delay will go to the bottom of the queue. [This source also made clear that defence and security cooperation will inevitably be affected if the EU tries to keep Britain in against the will of its government] Supporting delay will be seen by this government as hostile interference in domestic politics, and over half of the public will agree with us.
This has Cumming's thinking written all over it .. so must be true
Old 08-10-2019, 11:47   #1089
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Above article (blog) written by James Forsyth.

James Forsyth is Political Editor of the Spectator. He is also a columnist in The Sun.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:57   #1090
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

James Forsyth is Political Editor of the Spectator. He is also a columnist in The Sun.

That pretty much says everything.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59   #1091
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:

And your point is what?
Old 08-10-2019, 12:04   #1092
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
In regards to the years of negotiations, the ones with the EU will be interesting. The overnight report from a "contact in Number 10" detailed on the spectator.co.uk website is illuminating:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...-negotiations/

The response is long with the usual "blame the Irish" stratagem but this part is fascinating and will surely, if true, wind up "our friends and partners" on the continent:

This has Cumming's thinking written all over it .. so must be true
The backstop and it's deliberate permanency IS the fault of the Irish, and against EU law in article 50. It wasn't on the EUs radar until the Irish brought it up.

The Guardian

Quote:
The Irish goal was to get the border into a legally binding withdrawal agreement – Dublin’s point of maximum leverage – rather than future trade relations, when Dublin would struggle to be heard.
After Leo Varadkar succeeded Kenny in June 2017 the Irish pressed their advantage. The new taoiseach wanted a “win”, said one Fine Gael party colleague, and squeezing the Brits proved popular.
According to EU law, it can only be there as part of future trade relations, even if the UK agreed to it.
Have the terms "transitional", "limited in time", and "future" been magically redefined?

The EU and the Remain crowd have thrown out all sense of logic, reason, legality, and democracy. All perfectly ok because it's the UK(especially) on the receiving end. Would any other country be expected to put up with this? If any other country had(before the UK) wanted to leave the EU, would they be subjected to all this? Or would all sense of logic, reason, legality, and democracy have mysteriously remained intact? Would Scotland and Wales be treated like this, if they voted for independence?

Last edited by nomadking; 08-10-2019 at 12:09.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:16   #1093
jfman
Architect of Ideas

In answer to your final question, probably, yes.

Literally the island of Ireland voted for independence and we partitioned it.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:26   #1094
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That pretty much says everything.

James Forsyth is a good reporter and clearly has good sources, not sure what the problem is?
Old 08-10-2019, 12:36   #1095
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

No-one's trying to 'trash the country' apart from the Corbynistas. A Brexit without a withdrawal agreement is not the disaster you and other remainers are trying to convince people it will be.

The majority want to leave the EU, and this is a majority decision. If the EU won't co-operate, we leave without a deal. It's time all remainers accepted that. Enough of the nonsense, let's just get on with it. After it happens, people will start to wonder what all the fuss was about.

The planes will not fall from the sky. You will still be able to holiday in Europe. The food and medicines will be available as usual. Etc.
Closed Thread