Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it better to watch an HD news channel in the event of an imminent nuclear attack?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it better to watch an HD news channel in the event of an imminent nuclear attack?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:24   #16
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Is it better to watch an HD news channel in the event of an imminent nuclear atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
But by the time it's changed channel and tuned into it, the delay will probably have passed!
Just flick between them using the LastCh button. It's easy to tell which is ahead, especially on the news channels that have a ticker.

I've just checked a few, and in every case the SD channel is ahead (7 seconds ahead in the case of Channel 4). I suspect the MPEG4 encoding processing delay is the biggest factor. ITV HD, which is still MPEG2 in my region, is only very slightly behind the SD version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
And the award for most pointless thread goes to.........
Maybe not entirely pointless. I recall a similar thread many years ago that was started by someone who was into real-time gambling. He liked analogue TV because it had the least delay.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2018, 11:48   #17
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Is it better to watch an HD news channel in the event of an imminent nuclear atta

Agreed, SD channels are ahead of HD channels.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:48   #18
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Off topic in a way but .... If it was possible to get a full 4 minute warning I would love to hear what people would do.

Besides kissing my husband I hope I would have a large cream cake handy that I could consume without worrying about the calories.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:55   #19
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
And the award for most pointless thread goes to.........
I thought that when i saw it last night...... some people just post crap for the sake of posting....

The next thread from him will be, how do you butter your toast or tie your shoe laces! lol
Old 08-05-2018, 13:52   #20
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Personally, I would rather not know and die in ignorant bliss as 4 minutes is not enough time for anything
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 14:16   #21
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Personally, I would rather not know and die in ignorant bliss as 4 minutes is not enough time for anything
Not what our lass says to me lol
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 14:20   #22
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Not what our lass says to me lol

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 14:37   #23
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The only people that will get a 4 minute warning are the party apparatchiks and their rich friends. Rest of us will die in blissful ignorance. (Probably still watching Jeremy Kyle)
Old 08-05-2018, 15:05   #24
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Off topic in a way but .... If it was possible to get a full 4 minute warning I would love to hear what people would do.

Besides kissing my husband I hope I would have a large cream cake handy that I could consume without worrying about the calories.
The selfish part of me would want my hubby and son's with me and the unselfish part of me would want my eldest to be with his one true love his fiancée as I know that is what and whom he would want.
Old 08-05-2018, 15:53   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Just flick between them using the LastCh button. It's easy to tell which is ahead, especially on the news channels that have a ticker.

I've just checked a few, and in every case the SD channel is ahead (7 seconds ahead in the case of Channel 4). I suspect the MPEG4 encoding processing delay is the biggest factor. ITV HD, which is still MPEG2 in my region, is only very slightly behind the SD version.

Maybe not entirely pointless. I recall a similar thread many years ago that was started by someone who was into real-time gambling. He liked analogue TV because it had the least delay.
Cheers for that SP, so my theory has been disproved and the SD channels are the most up to date because of other factors.

Interesting that it could actually be of importance to gamblers.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Me too, the 4 minute warning is totally pointless.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
The selfish part of me would want my hubby and son's with me and the unselfish part of me would want my eldest to be with his one true love his fiancée as I know that is what and whom he would want.

Last edited by Paul M; 09-05-2018 at 15:09. Reason: Cut it out.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 16:11   #26
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I figured encoding would make a difference but wasn't sure how it works out. Although SD has less information, I wondered if it would take longer due to being a higher definition source re-encoded on the fly to lower resolution/bitrate and codec type or something similar.

That would have made the SD slower so obviously not the case but interested to know how the SD/HD channels are actually done and if it all relies on digital hardware or if any old analogue stuff is used.

In the future the answer to which is faster could potentially change according to hardware encoding/decoding and broadcasting specs. 4k could potentially get to someone quicker than SD.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 16:35   #27
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
That would have made the SD slower so obviously not the case but interested to know how the SD/HD channels are actually done and if it all relies on digital hardware or if any old analogue stuff is used.
The answer is "it varies". But I think it's all digital these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
In the future the answer to which is faster could potentially change according to hardware encoding/decoding and broadcasting specs. 4k could potentially get to someone quicker than SD.
Advanced codecs take longer to encode because they work on many video frames in parallel. The allows them to find common patterns across mutiple frames, and so increase the compression. But the more frames they scan, the more they have to buffer, so the delay increases. It's unlikely to ever get quicker, as this would reduce the compression or compromise picture quality.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 16:37   #28
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Interesting that it could actually be of importance to gamblers.
Think I would rather have the extra delay before I find out I had just blown the mortgage payment on the 2:30 at Kempton
Old 08-05-2018, 16:42   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
The answer is "it varies". But I think it's all digital these days.

Advanced codecs take longer to encode because they work on many video frames in parallel. The allows them to find common patterns across mutiple frames, and so increase the compression. But the more frames they scan, the more they have to buffer, so the delay increases. It's unlikely to ever get quicker, as this would reduce the compression or compromise picture quality.
You never know, over the years they've managed to increase compression efficiencies on Freeview to squeeze in more channels into the same amount of capacity.

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
Think I would rather have the extra delay before I find out I had just blown the mortgage payment on the 2:30 at Kempton
Ha ha, wouldn't it be useful if the bookie was using a two minute delayed system and you weren't 🤗
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 17:14   #30
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

On a slightly related note, a couple of milliseconds can make a difference (and a lot of money).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-millions.html
Quote:
Lewis, whose previous books include Liar’s Poker and The Big Short, gets inside the world of high-frequency traders (HFTs) who install ultra-fast fibre-optic data connections between their systems and modern stock exchanges, giving them a minuscule speed advantage over rival traders. This advantage, while just milliseconds (thousandths of a second), allows HFTs to see other buyers’ orders before they are executed.

At the most basic level, they use this time advantage to buy the stock before the first deal has been processed and sell it on to the original purchaser at a slightly higher price, a process known as “front-running”...

...What was previously thought of as fast - before 2007 - just wouldn’t cut it for HFTs. What was fast then was the fastest a human could go. Now there was no man in the loop.

“The response of many of them suggested that their entire commercial existence depended on being faster than the rest of the stock market,” writes Lewis revealing that some of them “would sell their grandmothers for a microsecond [a millionth of a second]”.

No wonder that Spread Networks, the company building the fibre-optic connection, proudly boasted: “Round-trip travel time from Chicago to New Jersey has been cut to 13 milliseconds.”

And HFTs were willing to pay through the nose to use it, with the first 200 to sign up forking out $2.8bn between them.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote