Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM EPG

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM EPG

Old 30-03-2018, 18:34   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: VM EPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Beneath the Surface this weekend (31st Mar) are episodes 5 & 6. They were scheduled for last weekend but got cancelled last minute. Only 4 episodes have so far been broadcast.

Episodes 7 & 8 will be on 7th April.

As already said - the NEW flag is nothing to do with the recording logic. If you TiVo has already record that episode then the recording logic is it is NOT NEW.
I had a problem with two programmes after Stephen Hawking died. Because the EPG isn't dynamic, TiVo thought that it had recorded them after they were replaced with a two hour tribute programme.

They were actually shown the week after, so I manually set them to record as, presumably, the TiVo would think that they were duplicates.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I have 2 V6 boxes - I set a recording for Scarlets v La Rochelle rugby match on my downstairs box.

Just before 5.25 I thought I would start watching it, but the recording (due to start at 4.45) was not happening - still in future recordings list.

My upstairs box was recording it as expected.

I deleted the recording (which interestingly said it was recording, despite not doing so) and reset it - then it started recording ok.

Anyone got any thoughts?
I've twice come across a programme that should be recording and displayed in 'Recordings.

I assumed that it had failed and tried to set them to record manually from the EPG, but the EPG said that they were already being recorded!?

I corrected this by stopping the recording and immediately starting it again; both 'halves' of the recording were then displayed in 'Recordings'.

It seems that recordings are occasionally not being displayed; what would happen if the programme was allowed to record in full I don't know.

I was once looking for a recording that I definitely knew I had and couldn't find it. Thinking I had imagined it, it then reappeared later in the list a few days later when I had to do a reboot. I suspect that this is what would happen to these recordings too.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2018, 19:04   #17
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Beneath the Surface this weekend (31st Mar) are episodes 5 & 6. They were scheduled for last weekend but got cancelled last minute. Only 4 episodes have so far been broadcast.

As already said - the NEW flag is nothing to do with the recording logic. If you TiVo has already record that episode then the recording logic is it is NOT NEW.
That would be if the series link setting was "New and reruns" rather than "New only". There is a time limit on how long ago a programme had already been recorded before it is put back on the recording list. When there is a large number of series with a programme, Eg 15 with NCIS, you have to use "New only" or it would pick up series 1, 2, 3 etc.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 23:32   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

You can set it to start recording from a specific series though to get round this AFAIK.
Old 31-03-2018, 10:20   #19
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
[B]Beneath the Surface this weekend (31st Mar) are episodes 5 & 6. They were scheduled for last weekend but got cancelled last minute. Only 4 episodes have so far been broadcast.

Thanks for clearing that up. I like to binge-watch series so I hadn't tried to view my recordings until I can watch them back to back. I wonder what the V6 recorded and labeled as the two episodes of Beneath the Surface? What added to my confusion was that my TV listings magazine had this Saturday's episodes down as the final ones. I guess magazine listings are even less dynamic than the EPG.

Looking at my planned programmes this morning I now see that the final episodes will be shown next week.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 15:43   #20
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I like to binge-watch series so I hadn't tried to view my recordings until I can watch them back to back. I wonder what the V6 recorded and labeled as the two episodes of Beneath the Surface? What added to my confusion was that my TV listings magazine had this Saturday's episodes down as the final ones. I guess magazine listings are even less dynamic than the EPG.

Looking at my planned programmes this morning I now see that the final episodes will be shown next week.
This just got a little weirder. I had a quick look at these supposedly cancelled recordings interested to see what had been shown in their place only to find that episodes from Beneath the Surface appear to have been recorded after all. Now the EPG shows these episodes set to record this Saturday and they are now labelled 'new' when they were not before. It's all very odd.
Old 31-03-2018, 17:00   #21
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
This just got a little weirder. I had a quick look at these supposedly cancelled recordings interested to see what had been shown in their place only to find that episodes from Beneath the Surface appear to have been recorded after all. Now the EPG shows these episodes set to record this Saturday and they are now labelled 'new' when they were not before. It's all very odd.
Were they actually recorded or did your box extract these episodes from on demand?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 21:01   #22
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Beneath The Surface got replaced by a subtitled film last week, which is now on iPlayer.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 23:00   #23
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Well, I learned something tonight. I missed the BBC News at 10.10pm tonight because (most unlike me) I forgot to record the news!

I went to the BBC i-Player but the news was not available to view. However when I went to the EPG and did the old 'backwards' thing, I OK'd the news and it took me to the player, where it WAS available!

Good old Virgin, I didn't know it could do that!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09   #24
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Were they actually recorded or did your box extract these episodes from on demand?
I only had the briefest of looks and saw a subtitled programmed had been recorded. I took this to be the episode of Beneath the Surface.

Quote:
Beneath The Surface got replaced by a subtitled film last week, which is now on iPlayer.
This must have been what I saw and mistook for my scheduled recording. Mystery solved.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:14   #25
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, I learned something tonight. I missed the BBC News at 10.10pm tonight because (most unlike me) I forgot to record the news!

I went to the BBC i-Player but the news was not available to view. However when I went to the EPG and did the old 'backwards' thing, I OK'd the news and it took me to the player, where it WAS available!

Good old Virgin, I didn't know it could do that!
I think they become available after a certain period of time, possibly this was reached whilst you were messing around. I had similar experience the other day.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10   #26
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I think they become available after a certain period of time, possibly this was reached whilst you were messing around. I had similar experience the other day.
No, it wasn't that. With the i-Player, unless you can stream the programme at the time of broadcasting, you have to wait about six hours before it becomes available on demand.

Just to be sure, after I saw the news, I came out of the i-Player then went back in via Apps and Games, and again it was showing 'Not available'. So it seems that the VM EPG is the way in if insufficient time has elapsed since your broadcast for this to show on the main app.
Old 01-04-2018, 23:20   #27
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Done this a few times, you'd think that they would both become available at once.

The BBC once said that as a rough guide it takes about the length of the programme involved after the end of the linear showing for it to reach the iPlayer. If it isn't on by this time, it will take a while longer as there is a problem or extra work to be done on the material.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59   #28
heavyside
cf.geek

I've found that if you go into iPlayer while the programme is still running and click on 'channels' and select the one you were viewing there is the option to watch the entire show from the beginning.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:10   #29
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I've found that if you go into iPlayer while the programme is still running and click on 'channels' and select the one you were viewing there is the option to watch the entire show from the beginning.
That's right; its the live feed which you can see from the beginning. Unfortunately, when the next show starts, you can no longer view that previous one, which is why I couldn't view the news on the app.
Old 09-05-2018, 20:13   #30
Saul's Grandad
Lurkalot

Services: Virgin TV, Phone, mobile & BB. Netflix and Amazon.
Saul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really nice

Going away for more than two weeks - don't turn off your router! You won't get any planned recordings on your V6 in the third week and beyond.

I don't know if anyone has posted about this previously (I did a quick search but couldn't see anything) but we recently found out the hard way not to unplug our router when going on holiday (like we've always done previously) as the V6, unlike the ordinary Tivo, loses all programme guide info after two weeks because of lack of contact with the network.
Fortunately we managed to catch up with most of the shows that didn't record through on demand, repeats and catch up services after we re-connected to the network on our return.
Saul's Grandad is offline   Reply With Quote