Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RF Modulator with the V6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

RF Modulator with the V6

Old 28-04-2018, 07:21   #16
DeanRandall
Inactive

DeanRandall is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: RF Modulator with the V6

With the old TiVo box, this set up was working on channel 52, so I started there but have also gone up and down the channel list from around 20 to 70. No difference unfortunately.
DeanRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2018, 08:17   #17
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

If it's displaying the EPG, menus etc then it's tuned to the correct channel.

The link to a VM forum article that I gave in post #13 about somebody who had similar problems, and provides a possible solution. Basically getting around the HDCP compatibility issue by removing the HDCP altogether. Whether that splitter still works in that way and hasn't been redesigned to be fully HDMI/HDCP compliant is another matter.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 09:17   #18
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRandall View Post
a black screen but the menus working
Now that actually is HDCP failure. The video gets disabled but the menus still display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
If it's displaying the EPG, menus etc then it's tuned to the correct channel.
No, he said that his main (locally-connected) TV showed menus but no video.

I still have a theory that the modulator may be broken.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 10:16   #19
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Now that actually is HDCP failure. The video gets disabled but the menus still display.

No, he said that his main (locally-connected) TV showed menus but no video.

I still have a theory that the modulator may be broken.
The only device involved with the locally connected Tv is the splitter. As that is showing HDCP problems, then the splitter is the issue. A fault with the modulator won't cause that. As the sound is getting through to the other TVs the modulator is tuned correctly.

Both outputs from the splitter have to be the same. If the HDMI-ScART converter causes conflict for the splitter, then both outputs will be HDCP blocked affecting the TV.

A splitter that removes HDCP might be the solution. I've ordered a couple of the ones in the VM forum article I linked to, so later today I should be able to confirm if they remove the HDCP. At £13 they are worth a punt. I don't have a V6 or the rest of your setup, so I can't check those aspects.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 11:07   #20
DeanRandall
Inactive

So, I spent some time this morning and removed the splitter from the equation, connecting the V6 box directly to the HDMI to Scart adapater, which was then connected to the modulator etc...

Success, managed to get both audio and picture on the other TVs around the house!

Adding the splitter back in and as expected, menus and audio seemed to work but no actual picture.

Connecting the V6 to the splitter, then the splitter to the local TV and nothing else also seems work OK, so I assume its just the fact that there are too many HDMI versions in the complete chain that the signal just does not like.

Learning a bit as I go here, but that seems to suggest that either I need a HDMI splitter that works with 1.3, or a HDMI to Scart solution that works with 1.4?
Old 28-04-2018, 13:32   #21
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

But in post 1 you said "V6 > HDMI Splitter > HDMI to Scart > Scart into TV" worked, which suggests the splitter is fine. Is that not the case?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 17:08   #22
DeanRandall
Inactive

I did indeed say that and while it wasn't something I specifically tested today, a couple of weekends ago that did actually work.

In fairness, I can't remember whether I had the local TV plugged into the other HDMI port on the splitter in that situation. Based on what I've learnt over the past few days, probably not.

This is why I needed to ask for help, as I've gone round in circles trying out all sorts, but nothing was making sense.
Old 29-04-2018, 22:49   #23
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

There are HDMI splitters that strip HDCP out of the equation available on amazon and various other places, the technology only exists to make it a nightmare for legitimate consumers and has utterly no effect on the ability of people to copy content.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 23:23   #24
DeanRandall
Inactive

Indeed Skie. I believe Nomadking was going to be testing a splitter that was reported to do that. I can only but assume the one I've got does not do that, of course, they don't really tell you either way when you are looking at their descriptions when buying.