Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free V6 box

Old 13-02-2018, 16:34   #226
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Free V6 box

So just to get it clear in my head...
The original VM Tivo has a built-in modem doing 10Mbps but the V6 shares your Superhub2/3?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2018, 17:08   #227
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Guess you've already tried WiFi? The V6 doesn't necessarily need Powerlines, despite what they tell you.
No haven't tried WiFi, I was told on here to use the powerlines to connect the TIVO box to one of the powerline plugs and then connect the other one to the SuperHub and then I'd be able to stream from the TIVO box to the V6 box. If it doesn't work I will just send them back
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 17:46   #228
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

If required, I thought that Powerline adaptors were free, yet there have been posts about people being charged??

Anyone know the correct situation?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:07   #229
mentalis
cf.geek

Services: | Freeview | VirginTV XL with TiVo | BB L | Phone M |
mentalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If required, I thought that Powerline adaptors were free, yet there have been posts about people being charged??

Anyone know the correct situation?
When I asked for a V6 box I got one delivered with a SH3 and two power line adaptors - at no extra cost.

(p.s. I am also getting an engineer at the weekend to fix the V6 box after it went wrong after a few hours; I'm sure they're not all like that )
mentalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 20:46   #230
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterLyn View Post
No haven't tried WiFi, I was told on here to use the powerlines to connect the TIVO box to one of the powerline plugs and then connect the other one to the SuperHub and then I'd be able to stream from the TIVO box to the V6 box. If it doesn't work I will just send them back
Yes your old TiVo does need to be 'hard networked' either with a Powerline, or ethernet cable to your superhub/router. The V6 however should be able to use wi-fi if you've got a reasonable signal, if not use the powerline for that aswell. Once it works it does work well for streaming between boxes.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 11:27   #231
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalis View Post
When I asked for a V6 box I got one delivered with a SH3 and two power line adaptors - at no extra cost.

(p.s. I am also getting an engineer at the weekend to fix the V6 box after it went wrong after a few hours; I'm sure they're not all like that )
Had to pay for ours

Quote:
Yes your old TiVo does need to be 'hard networked' either with a Powerline, or ethernet cable to your superhub/router. The V6 however should be able to use wi-fi if you've got a reasonable signal, if not use the powerline for that aswell. Once it works it does work well for streaming between boxes.
They are coming today apparently, hoping they send the right ones this time, will see how I get on setting them up. Not very good with technical things and my husband is even worse than me

The V6 box is already connected via WiFi as the engineer said the signal was good.
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 12:20   #232
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
So just to get it clear in my head...
The original VM Tivo has a built-in modem doing 10Mbps but the V6 shares your Superhub2/3?
Correct, the V6 has no built-in DOCSIS modem, so relies on a router for broadband access.

Most people don't need to connect the TiVo to their router, but it's needed for two reasons.

1. For Remote Record feature for TV Anywhere.
2. To communicate with another TiVo or V6 as the built-in modem is classed as a different network.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 12:54   #233
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
Correct, the V6 has no built-in DOCSIS modem, so relies on a router for broadband access.

Most people don't need to connect the TiVo to their router, but it's needed for two reasons.

1. For Remote Record feature for TV Anywhere.
2. To communicate with another TiVo or V6 as the built-in modem is classed as a different network.
No 1 is wrong. You can set recordings without the home network connection on TiVo.
It should read: to use the app as a replacement remote control.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:12   #234
gunner45
cf.member

Bear in mind that users had the facility to remotely set a recording via a Windows PC's web browser but this was withdrawn, leaving the app on iOS and Android devices being the only ones to do this.
Old 14-02-2018, 13:44   #235
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Bear in mind that users had the facility to remotely set a recording via a Windows PC's web browser but this was withdrawn, leaving the app on iOS and Android devices being the only ones to do this.
Yes, but your number 1 is still wrong.
Old 14-02-2018, 14:13   #236
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yes your old TiVo does need to be 'hard networked' either with a Powerline, or ethernet cable to your superhub/router.
My TIVO has no connection to the router.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 14:20   #237
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
My TIVO has no connection to the router.
AlabasterLyn wants to stream from one box to the other. This does need a connection. But in general a Tivo will work happily without.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 14:48   #238
gunner45
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Yes, but your number 1 is still wrong.
I thought it obvious that "remote" in this context was control via the internet rather than the remote control, but in future I'll try and be explicit to help people like you.
Old 14-02-2018, 15:07   #239
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I thought it obvious that "remote" in this context was control via the internet rather than the remote control, but in future I'll try and be explicit to help people like you.
Thanks for being so condescending.
Remote record does not mean do all the things you can do with your physical remote. At best it means set recordings remotely which, of course, doesn’t need the connection.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Quote:
..and you also said this which implied you previous remote record meant the ability to set a recording remotely.
Old 14-02-2018, 15:11   #240
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Thanks for being so condescending.
Remote record does not mean do all the things you can do with your physical remote. At best it means set recordings remotely which, of course, doesn’t need the connection.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

..and you also said this which implied you previous remote record meant the ability to set a recording remotely.
I'm still considering to get a tivo v6 by doing my usual email to CEO business but i'm still confused how it can be downstairs and my superhub upstairs sorry if i sound thick
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote