Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2019, 21:44   #2341
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Is that true for MEPs then?

Certainly MPs have to declare other income and donations although I am sure there will be outrage on here if the law dares make such a request of Mr Farage.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8918946.html
Quote:
Nigel Farage is facing an investigation by European parliament authorities over claims that he failed to declare nearly half a million pounds in gifts from an insurance tycoon under investigation by the National Crime Agency.

It was claimed this week that the Brexit Party leader has been given as much as £450,000 in kind by Arron Banks, including a chauffeur-driven car, rent and bills on a £4.4m Chelsea home, and lavish trips to the United States to meet with right-wing politicians.

But none of the gifts, detailed in invoices seen by Channel 4 News, were declared on Mr Farage’s register of interests with the European parliament, which is designed to prevent MEPs from keeping their conflicts of interests secret.

In a letter seen by The Independent, one of the European parliament’s quaestors – MEPs responsible for the body’s financial and administrative matters – calls on the parliament’s presidency to “investigate these apparent contraventions as a matter of urgency”.

“As you will be aware, the code of conduct for members of the European parliament with respect to financial interests and conflicts of interest, in particular Article 6(1) of the implementing measures, makes it clear that members shall disclose their attendance at events organised by third parties where the reimbursement of their travel, accommodation or subsistence expenses, or the direct payments of such expenses, is covered by a third party,” Catherine Bearder, the quaestor who is also a Liberal Democrat MEP, said in the letter to Antonio Tajani, president of the European parliament.

“I can see no reference to any of the reported travel or accommodation subsidies related to Mr Farage’s US tour on any of his declarations of financial interests on the parliament’s website.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2019, 00:31   #2342
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Well found. Hopefully his supporters will stop their moaning and encourage him to come clean
Old 20-05-2019, 01:36   #2343
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’m curious whether Remainers on this thread genuinely believe any of this will dent the Brexit Party’s performance on Thursday. Whether or not there is substance to any of the allegations made against Farage, the manner and timing of them looks very much like an attempted character assassination.
Old 20-05-2019, 01:52   #2344
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Of course it won’t - Nigel can do no wrong.

There is substance - Nigel denied it, then Arron Banks said "yes, I did".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48315552
Quote:
When campaigning in Dudley, West Midlands, Mr Farage was asked if he had received £450,000 from Mr Banks and said "unfortunately not", adding that if he had, "it would be lovely".

But in a statement, Mr Banks said Mr Farage "would not have had a clue how much things would have cost".

The Leave.EU founder said he had "willingly helped Farage and was honoured to do so", adding: "This was all designed to help Nigel get out of politics."

"I considered it an honour to help and would do it happily again," Mr Banks said.
Reporting things that actually happened and Nigel denied actually happened ≠ character assassination.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 20-05-2019, 06:31   #2345
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’m curious whether Remainers on this thread genuinely believe any of this will dent the Brexit Party’s performance on Thursday.
Not in a month of Sunday's.

---------- Post added at 05:27 ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 ----------

Quote:
Whether or not there is substance to any of the allegations made against Farage,
l suspect there is as politics as we know is rather a dirty business and usually there is no smoke without fire.

---------- Post added at 05:31 ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 ----------

Quote:
the manner and timing of them looks very much like an attempted character assassination.
Welcome to the world of dirty British politics as were you not in politics Chris like Hugh? so you should know how it works.
Old 20-05-2019, 07:54   #2346
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yeah I don’t think it makes any difference. I doubt there is really anything that could come out by Farage that would.
Old 20-05-2019, 08:30   #2347
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I didn't say it was against the law. I said it would be against Parliamentary rules, I think it's a law, if he did this as an MP. I literally do not know if the same applies for the EU. You would hope so.

As for criticism I think I'll continue and ignore your demand to 'shut up' since I want to hold politicians to a higher standard than not breaking the law. Although in case I have not been particularly animated about Farage's funding other than to point out that it's a valid question for the media to ask.
Similar rules apply for the EU parliament although they are somewhat poor at applying them.

The benefits "in kind" include being flown to the US, claims of "Party" benefit cannot wash, as Farage left UKIP and still personally benefitted from the house & car. Whilst more recently has been vehemently claiming no Brexit Party Ltd funding from Banks.
Old 20-05-2019, 09:52   #2348
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...CMP=GTUK_email

Quote:
The Electoral Commission is under mounting pressure to launch an investigation into the funding of Nigel Farage’s Brexit party because of concerns that its donation structure could allow foreign interference in British democracy.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:00   #2349
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

It's probably going to the end of the £500 limit. It's not illegal to receive foreign donations of under £500, you would have to question why foreign donations of any sort are allowed.

It would be against the law if one person is using the £500 undeclared limit to make multiple donations undetected. Quite substantially so. However the only real way to make that easy to enforce would be to get rid of the £500 limit and have all political donations be domestic and trackable. Maybe even link it to the electoral register so every single donation has to be from someone entitled to vote in the election or a company who is registered in the U.K for tax purposes.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:32   #2350
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Keep up with the pathetic one sided smears.

I laugh at those here who don’t bother to ask questions about Remain party donations, all this, whose funding who, bullshit, won’t stop me casting my vote for Brexit Party and I suspect it won’t for others who are determined to do so.

In other news. Brexit Party surges into second place in Scotland according to The Scotsman.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:41   #2351
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Well as I said for the major parties their donations are declared routinely. The exception being Change UK and there are also questions about the Led by Donkeys' campaign. There were a lot of questions about the former when they started, they even incorporated themselves in such a way to obscure their donations at first.

The thing is I am perfectly fine with people demanding to know where their funding comes from. It's important to know. Why would I defend them just because they support Remain? I am happy with supporting Remain just as you are with supporting Leave. I don't feel compelling to suit up to defend the political parties or politicians themselves. I don't trust Change UK, the Liberals and certainly not Labour.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:54   #2352
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Keep up with the pathetic one sided smears.

I laugh at those here who don’t bother to ask questions about Remain party donations, all this, whose funding who, bullshit, won’t stop me casting my vote for Brexit Party and I suspect it won’t for others who are determined to do so.

In other news. Brexit Party surges into second place in Scotland according to The Scotsman.
I expect all manor of crap to be thrown at Farage on the run up to the elections,then after a win it will be the usual calls of an illegal vote based on lies from the usual bunch of losers,personally i don't care i'm voting Brexit party on Thursday.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Just had flyers through the letter box from
ukip
the greens
The English democrats [never heard of them]but they wan't English this English that and English the other.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:54   #2353
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I expect all manor of crap to be thrown at Farage on the run up to the elections,then after a win it will be the usual calls of an illegal vote based on lies from the usual bunch of losers,personally i don't care i'm voting Brexit party on Thursday.
Don't forget the Russians!
Old 20-05-2019, 11:08   #2354
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Banks support "in kind" to Farage should be declared, it wasn't.

As an MEP Farage will not be involved in Brexit negotiations, so the one pledge they seem to have cannot be implemented by them. No wonder he hasn't bothered with a manifesto.
Oh here is that “Manifesto” term being used again, um, pray tell, why a Manifesto is so important, in today’s political climate, given none of two main parties stuck to theirs, meanwhile, Libdems, are also hypocrites, given they pledged not to increase tuition fees but then did, once they got a slice of power in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Don't forget the Russians!
Yes, it’s laughable isn’t it. It’s glass houses stuff this. You got people here ridiculously ridiculing Farage, yet, looking at the poll, 5 members on here support Corbyn, who defended Russians during the Novichok Salisbury poisonings, rubbed shoulders with the IRA, has given vomit inducing support for Maduro, in Venezuela. Has associated himself with Hezbollah.

We’re suppose to be concerned with one man whose got money from one Eurosceptic to another and not be with another man who’s a terrorist sympathiser and defended Russia, seriously?
Old 20-05-2019, 11:10   #2355
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

[Admin Edited].Apart from Farage, who are the candidates, what are their backgrounds, does anyone care? People don't vote on policies any longer, they just vote to on a whim, who to 'stick it to'. The practical consequences on them are irrelevant. That's tomorrow's problem, live for today and instant gratification ....

[Admin Insert: Insult removed-If you insult again, you will be given a forum holiday.]
Closed Thread