Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2019, 20:52   #1636
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
One peccadillo does not make him a liar.
The body language in the interview to me suggests otherwise. But as he's a friend of yours I accept that you know him better so let's agree to disagree on this.
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2019, 21:42   #1637
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You once again go well OTT on Redwood.

He was elected in 1987 - are you certain he wanted to push a skewed ideology? He wants a sovereign UK - hardly a skewed ideology. eign that rubbish in, please.

Criticising anyone who want to risk the country's future who is driven by a faith-based ideology is not OTT, it is self preservation.

Show me the evidential, fact-based consensus that a No Deal brexit does not risk my children's future and we can have a debate. Until then, he is an idiot betraying his constituency, party and country.

Our elected representatives should make decisions based on reasoned, objective fact-based conclusions and not what they fantasise to be their free market, low tax, capitalist utopia.
Old 16-04-2019, 22:40   #1638
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Criticising anyone who want to risk the country's future who is driven by a faith-based ideology is not OTT, it is self preservation.

Show me the evidential, fact-based consensus that a No Deal brexit does not risk my children's future and we can have a debate. Until then, he is an idiot betraying his constituency, party and country.

Our elected representatives should make decisions based on reasoned, objective fact-based conclusions and not what they fantasise to be their free market, low tax, capitalist utopia.
There are a number of problems with this.

First of all, you’re asking him to prove a negative. The assertion is that No Deal Brexit is damaging and it is for those who believe it to make their case.

Second, if you think politics is merely a matter of drawing conclusions based on facts then you’ve been missing the point, and to be honest I’m curious how you would attempt explain the existence of at least three major parties, with three enormously different policy platforms, in the same Commons chamber.

Moral and ideological considerations are always at play in policy formation, as well they should be. There are no facts that exist in isolation and weighing them, and assigning importance to them, is a task for moral beings, not statistical machines.
Old 16-04-2019, 22:53   #1639
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Show me factually that staying in will not be to the detriment of my children’s future. You can’t because .....you can’t.
Old 17-04-2019, 06:53   #1640
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not his job, he is not part of the Government. His duties as an MP are clear and distinct ..
He stood for election with a mandate to leave the EU. So in your opinion, it's ok to disregard that manifesto ciommitment? Of couse not, that would be the politics of deception.

So of course it was his job.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:16   #1641
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
He stood for election with a mandate to leave the EU. So in your opinion, it's ok to disregard that manifesto ciommitment? Of couse not, that would be the politics of deception.

He voted against the right for EU citizens to remain. By your rules, this makes him part of the politics of deception.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 17-04-2019 at 07:24.
Old 17-04-2019, 08:45   #1642
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There are a number of problems with this.

First of all, you’re asking him to prove a negative. The assertion is that No Deal Brexit is damaging and it is for those who believe it to make their case.

Second, if you think politics is merely a matter of drawing conclusions based on facts then you’ve been missing the point, and to be honest I’m curious how you would attempt explain the existence of at least three major parties, with three enormously different policy platforms, in the same Commons chamber.

Moral and ideological considerations are always at play in policy formation, as well they should be. There are no facts that exist in isolation and weighing them, and assigning importance to them, is a task for moral beings, not statistical machines.
You are missing the point here. I am not making an arbitrary definition of the machinery of politics and how decisions are made, strategy formed, etc.

The point is this, and it has always been the point: we are not betting on the 3:30 at Kempton. We are deciding the future of the country and the generations that will inherit it. Some may think that some arm waving conclusions that "we will be fine" suffices. I, and many others, do not.

If you want to jump into the void show, beyond reasonable doubt, why it is not a risk. If you can't, then you have all your work ahead of you. You quite rightly assert that this process is a task for "moral beings" ...

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

Quote:

Can you show me where this manifesto promises to leave with No Deal? Here you go:

2017 Conservative Party Manifesto

TL;DR

Quote:
The best possible deal for Britain as we leave the European Union delivered by a smooth, orderly Brexit.
Old 17-04-2019, 09:10   #1643
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Can you show me where this manifesto promises to leave with No Deal? Here you go:

2017 Conservative Party Manifesto

TL;DR
In the opinion of most leavers, it is perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal.

As to an earlier post, you cannot actually prove to sceptics such as your good self that a no-deal Brexit would lead to prosperity for this country because remainers just cannot envisage the many opportunities that are out there for businessmen to take advantage of. The EU is just one part of the world with whom we can do business. We will continue to trade with the EU and it makes sense for both sides to do so. But following Brexit we will have many additional opportunities that we can grasp. We are the fifth biggest economy in the world and as such we are in an excellent position to forge new trading arrangements.

You are failing to factor into your calculations the concern that the EU will drag us down with it if we do not break free of its apron strings now. I really do not understand this view remainers have that the EU is such a good place to be. It is expensive to belong to and its advantages are too few. The problems it faces in the future, particularly with the smaller countries of the EU and their lack of ability to withstand the next global downturn and the increasing weight of legislation and bureaucracy on businesses may be something you are prepared to ignore due to the benefit you get from the holiday freedoms you enjoy, but it is too high a price to pay in my book.

What private organisation would you trust that couldn't even get its financial books agreed by the auditors? The EU is as inefficient as it is debilitating and the sooner we leave, the better.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:52   #1644
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
In the opinion of most leavers, it is perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal.
Do you have a source for this?
Old 17-04-2019, 11:05   #1645
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Do you have a source for this?
This may assist you.

https://brexitcentral.com/managed-no...ariffs-quotas/

I know a lot of Brexiteers (as well as remainers, I might add) and all of them take the view that the 'disruption' that has been publicised is all part of project fear and that accommodations could be made in the early days to prevent mutual inconvenience. A few of them think there may be some disruption in the early days, but they only say that because they have been influenced by the scaremongering on the remainer side of the argument.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:11   #1646
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Show me factually that staying in will not be to the detriment of my children’s future. You can’t because .....you can’t.
I don't know how old your children are but I assume they are literally children..

Freedom of movement allows anyone, with a few exceptions, including the young to live and work in another country, broadening their horizons, learning new skills and increasing their employability. Want some funding? How about the Erasmus+ program?
Old 17-04-2019, 13:00   #1647
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

BREAKING: The Brexit Party sky rockets and trounces Labour in latest voting intentions in You Gov poll:

European Parliament voting intention:

BREX: 27%
LAB: 22%
CON: 15%
GRN: 10%
LDEM: 9%
UKIP: 7%
CHUK: 6%

via @YouGov, 15 - 16 Apr
Old 17-04-2019, 13:21   #1648
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This may assist you.

https://brexitcentral.com/managed-no...ariffs-quotas/

I know a lot of Brexiteers (as well as remainers, I might add) and all of them take the view that the 'disruption' that has been publicised is all part of project fear and that accommodations could be made in the early days to prevent mutual inconvenience. A few of them think there may be some disruption in the early days, but they only say that because they have been influenced by the scaremongering on the remainer side of the argument.
Alas, it doesn't assist your argument. You said "In the opinion of most leavers, it is perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal."
There is nothing in that article to support your statement.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
BREAKING: The Brexit Party sky rockets and trounces Labour in latest voting intentions in You Gov poll:

via @YouGov, 15 - 16 Apr
As I've said before, it's a great name for a party, a clear offer to voters and he should never, ever be under estimated. A Sky News article makes the same point in more depth.
https://news.sky.com/story/labour-an...-real-11695821
Old 17-04-2019, 13:40   #1649
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If you want to jump into the void show, beyond reasonable doubt, why it is not a risk.
Wow, if we lived by that we’d accomplish nothing.

Everyday in life is a risk.

People have looked at Brexit and believe it is worth the risk.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I don't know how old your children are but I assume they are literally children..

Freedom of movement allows anyone, with a few exceptions, including the young to live and work in another country, broadening their horizons, learning new skills and increasing their employability. Want some funding? How about the Erasmus+ program?
That didn’t answer the question, but it’s OK because I know you can’t answer the question, because you’re not a fortune teller.
Old 17-04-2019, 14:02   #1650
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

via @YouGov, 15 - 16 Apr
As I expected! But this poll will be rubbished by those pesky remainders who deny the vote of the referendum.

If we have to fight the European elections, the current parties in Parliament will regret it.
Closed Thread