Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:21   #5236
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

But it's already been explained that advertisers want to target the RICH people who can afford to pay for the no advert service and have little interest in us POOR people who will have to sit through the adverts but can't afford the goodies.
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2019, 12:32   #5237
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Comcast, Liberty Global don’t operate on a global scale? Where have you been coming up with this?
I didn't say they didn't. However, until relatively recently, BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, and Sky have concentrated on UK domestic services. Of course, Sky have been expanding into the continent over recent years and BBC has its own channel in the US and provides a limited service to different parts of the world.

Virgin Media, although part of Liberty Global, has served only the UK and Ireland.

All of the content distributors are going to have to expand massively to catch up with global streaming service activity. That's what Comcast, with its takeover of Sky, is all about.

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
But it's already been explained that advertisers want to target the RICH people who can afford to pay for the no advert service and have little interest in us POOR people who will have to sit through the adverts but can't afford the goodies.
That may be what the advertisers want. That doesn't mean that streaming services have to pander to their needs. As I said before, the SVOD services will lose subscribers if they carry intrusive advertising.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:44   #5238
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I didn't say they didn't. However, until relatively recently, BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, and Sky have concentrated on UK domestic services. Of course, Sky have been expanding into the continent over recent years and BBC has its own channel in the US and provides a limited service to different parts of the world.

Virgin Media, although part of Liberty Global, has served only the UK and Ireland.

All of the content distributors are going to have to expand massively to catch up with global streaming service activity. That's what Comcast, with its takeover of Sky, is all about.

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

That may be what the advertisers want. That doesn't mean that streaming services have to pander to their needs. As I said before, the SVOD services will lose subscribers if they carry intrusive advertising.
So the current actors in the pay-tv market do operate on a global level, thanks for clarifying this key point. They can (and do) benefit from economies of scale.

In your opinion SVOD services will lose subscribers, but that’s yet to be proven and where would they go for this high quality interesting content that you tell us is only available on SVOD?

I see you’ve inserted the word “intrusive” into your argument that was not present before indicating that you now agree advertising is inevitable to some degree?
Old 05-05-2019, 13:46   #5239
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
So the current actors in the pay-tv market do operate on a global level, thanks for clarifying this key point. They can (and do) benefit from economies of scale.

In your opinion SVOD services will lose subscribers, but that’s yet to be proven and where would they go for this high quality interesting content that you tell us is only available on SVOD?

I see you’ve inserted the word “intrusive” into your argument that was not present before indicating that you now agree advertising is inevitable to some degree?
You have a knack for reading into my posts stuff that isn't there. No, I don't think the advertising on streaming services is inevitable. I do, however, think it is likely that most of them will offer a free or reduced cost alternative with ads. That seems to be the sensible way to go.

I stand by what I said about our main players traditionally having a more national rather than international outlook, but of course that has now started to change with the overwhelming competition they are facing from the global players.
Old 05-05-2019, 14:01   #5240
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
You have a knack for reading into my posts stuff that isn't there. No, I don't think the advertising on streaming services is inevitable. I do, however, think it is likely that most of them will offer a free or reduced cost alternative with ads. That seems to be the sensible way to go.

I stand by what I said about our main players traditionally having a more national rather than international outlook, but of course that has now started to change with the overwhelming competition they are facing from the global players.
You’re watching the same events but coming to a radically different understanding. It’s not outside pressures consolidating the market - indeed what’s the point in Comcast paying a fortune to buy Sky if it’s a dying market anyway? It’s the huge potential, as a hugely profitable market leader, that Sky will continue to have for years to come. Something none of the streamers appear to have a clear plan for.
Old 05-05-2019, 14:08   #5241
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You’re watching the same events but coming to a radically different understanding. It’s not outside pressures consolidating the market - indeed what’s the point in Comcast paying a fortune to buy Sky if it’s a dying market anyway? It’s the huge potential, as a hugely profitable market leader, that Sky will continue to have for years to come. Something none of the streamers appear to have a clear plan for.
You are looking from the wrong end of the telescope. Comcast has absorbed Sky as part of its global plan.

The dying market is the traditional pay tv channels, which will be phased out in favour of SVOD.
Old 05-05-2019, 14:11   #5242
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You are looking from the wrong end of the telescope. Comcast has absorbed Sky as part of its global plan.

The dying market is the traditional pay tv channels, which will be phased out in favour of SVOD.
So you keep telling us despite being unable to evidence it. Seems like a waste for Comcast to buy companies that rely on outdated technology as opposed to start from scratch themselves?

Last edited by jfman; 05-05-2019 at 14:15.
Old 05-05-2019, 15:10   #5243
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

I've tried all my pay to view sports channels, they are all still working🤔, any idea when the end date is cos I need to plan for the future as you see it😱
Old 05-05-2019, 18:36   #5244
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:

[/COLOR]A new streaming service has launched in the UK - History Play. We are starting to see the various genres that have not been covered by the SVOD services to date come to pass now.

The new service will cost £3.99 per month.

https://tbivision.com/2019/05/03/his...azon-channels/

History Play adds an incredible line up of ground-breaking stories across different areas of history, to the wide selection of entertainment we offer customers through Prime Video Channels in the UK, Germany and Austria,” said Julian Monaghan, European MD of Channels at Amazon Prime Video.
I only realised recently the FilmRise fleet of apps are available on Amazon, free but ad-funded. Not sure how long they've been available?

I've installed the Sci-Fi, History and Documentary ones.

I haven't had a chance to really test them out yet but when i tried one the ad seemed to keep looping, i exited the app after the 5th time!

I'll give it a better try some other time.
Old 05-05-2019, 19:51   #5245
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So you keep telling us despite being unable to evidence it. Seems like a waste for Comcast to buy companies that rely on outdated technology as opposed to start from scratch themselves?
Well, you certainly can't evidence your dismal view of the future either! You argue for the sake of it. If I posted that I thought all streaming services would contain commercials, you would have argued against it, despite your expressed view on the subject.

Sky is not looked upon as outdated at all, and in fact Comcast is looking to take advantage of Sky's Now TV site. It's the old channels that will die off, not Sky.
Old 05-05-2019, 19:53   #5246
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well, you certainly can't evidence your dismal view of the future either! You argue for the sake of it. If I posted that I thought all streaming services would contain commercials, you would have argued against it, despite your expressed view on the subject.

Sky is not looked upon as outdated at all, and in fact Comcast is looking to take advantage of Sky's Now TV site. It's the old channels that will die off, not Sky.
Bollocks as they are some of the most popular channels on pay TV.
Old 05-05-2019, 19:57   #5247
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I've tried all my pay to view sports channels, they are all still working��, any idea when the end date is cos I need to plan for the future as you see it��
Yes, and they will still be working for a few years yet!

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I only realised recently the FilmRise fleet of apps are available on Amazon, free but ad-funded. Not sure how long they've been available?

I've installed the Sci-Fi, History and Documentary ones.

I haven't had a chance to really test them out yet but when i tried one the ad seemed to keep looping, i exited the app after the 5th time!

I'll give it a better try some other time.
Were you watching the History stream? They say history often repeats itself

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Bollocks as they are some of the most popular channels on pay TV.
It's the programmes people are paying to see. The programmes will still be there, just accessed in a different way.
Old 05-05-2019, 20:47   #5248
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

I’m predicting an exciting future. More diverse ways of accessing content? What’s not to like about that?

The only person predicting doom and gloom here is your end of old outdated linear television, that just so happens to be the most profitable and most popular delivery method at the minute - and will be for years to come. It costs major content owners and distributors pennies to maintain a linear presence by comparison to the content itself.

I didn't say all streaming services will carry adverts but those that seek to profit maximise (like all rational capitalists) will - and in doing so be able to charge less and gain more subscribers.

Pay-tv services could remove ads now but don’t. Streaming doesn’t change the economic reality - big businesses will pay a lot of money (and a lot more than the you and your boycott ever could) to get access. Streaming services will allow more effective targeted advertising than linear ever could.

You continue to fail to answer the simple question why basic economics (e.g. advertising pressures, costs of sports rights) doesn’t apply to streamers. It’s just television over a different delivery method.

Last edited by jfman; 05-05-2019 at 20:56.
Old 05-05-2019, 21:05   #5249
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I’m predicting an exciting future. More diverse ways of accessing content? What’s not to like about that?

The only person predicting doom and gloom here is your end of old outdated linear television, that just so happens to be the most profitable and most popular delivery method at the minute - and will be for years to come. It costs major content owners and distributors pennies to maintain a linear presence by comparison to the content itself.

I didn't say all streaming services will carry adverts but those that seek to profit maximise (like all rational capitalists) will - and in doing so be able to charge less and gain more subscribers.

Pay-tv services could remove ads now but don’t. Streaming doesn’t change the economic reality - big businesses will pay a lot of money (and a lot more than the you and your boycott ever could) to get access. Streaming services will allow excerpt more effective targeted advertising ever could.

You continue to fail to answer the simple question why basic economics (e.g. advertising pressures, costs of sports rights) doesn’t apply to streamers. It’s just television over a different delivery method.
A simple look at the absence of advertising on Netflix, Amazon and StarzPlay is the obvious evidence of existing operating models. Can't believe you missed that!

Once again, I have to remind you that I have not said that a low cost/no cost option with ads won't happen. In fact, I think this would be a sensible approach. You have also ignored the very reason why the streamers have been so popular. Watch what you want, when you want, with no interruptions. Therefore, the need is to preserve that principle, and offer an 'ads included' alternative for those who can't or won't pay. They would not wish to lose paying subscribers by pissing them off with the inclusion of unwanted adverts.

I guess you must just like watching TV commercials and being told when you can watch the programmes you want to see. Some people like to be controlled, I understand that.

I accept that you do not believe that existing pay tv channels will fail to survive the long term. The BBC has already acknowledged that the situation is changing rapidly and that they need to plan for traditional TV channels disappearing after the next TV licensing review. You can take the view that they know nothing at all about it if you want, but I will continue to disagree with that view.

As for sports, I have said many times now that this is a totally different proposition. Huge subscriber costs can be reduced with advertising, and I dare say that will have to be considered in this area.
Old 05-05-2019, 21:18   #5250
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
A simple look at the absence of advertising on Netflix, Amazon and StarzPlay is the obvious evidence of existing operating models. Can't believe you missed that!

Once again, I have to remind you that I have not said that a low cost/no cost option with ads won't happen. In fact, I think this would be a sensible approach. You have also ignored the very reason why the streamers have been so popular. Watch what you want, when you want, with no interruptions. Therefore, the need is to preserve that principle, and offer an 'ads included' alternative for those who can't or won't pay. They would not wish to lose paying subscribers by pissing them off with the inclusion of unwanted adverts.

I guess you must just like watching TV commercials and being told when you can watch the programmes you want to see. Some people like to be controlled, I understand that.

I accept that you do not believe that existing pay tv channels will survive the long term. The BBC has already acknowledged that the situation is changing rapidly and that they need to plan for traditional TV channels disappearing after the next TV licensing review. You can take the view that they know nothing at all about it if you want, but I will continue to disagree with that view.

As for sports, I have said many times now that this is a totally different proposition. Huge subscriber costs can be reduced with advertising, and I dare say that will have to be considered in this area.
A quick look at Netflix debts suggests the operating model might not be working, or at least in future they might look at new revenue opportunities. Targeted advertising being obvious.

I actually don’t like watching ads, or working to a schedule, I don’t know what I’ve said that indicates that I do? Unlike you I’m not pushing my vision of the future relentlessly on an Internet forum with sources that are dubious online marketing companies.

I’m dealing in reality based in economics, not on supposition or speculation. People watch linear television, people pay for linear television and it’s cheap for the incumbents to maintain alongside streaming (Sky Go, Virgin TV Go, Now TV, Xbox/PS4 apps).

The BBC haven’t said there wont be linear channels - you keep portraying a speculative possibility as fact with no basis whatsoever. Of course, the BBC would rationally portray the worst option to get authority to extend its land grab into streaming. That’s not unexpected.
Closed Thread