Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changing to Sky Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Fibre to adsl house move

Old 01-05-2013, 00:20   #1
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Sky Fibre to adsl house move

Does anyone know why Sky install adsl first and say they will upgrade you to fibre if it becomes available when moving house?

Not sure if this is normal or due to the new property being so fresh its not on royal mails postcode checker. Even so I don't quite get it when the openreach guy installing next door says the fibre cabinet is 200 metres away and that I can get fibre.

Any advice?
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28   #2
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Sky Fibre to adsl house move

Sky being poor with this, happening all over the country, exchange and cab goes live, but Sky not accepting fibre orders. Obviously they have to upgrade their own kit, but surely this is a simple process and can be done even before the exchange goes live for FTTC

See here
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48   #3
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Not sure if that is the same problem here Craig. Just happened to bump into the openreach engineer again and he confirmed the cabinet has been live for a long time and there is no reason at all as to why I couldn't have fibre here. Went as far as saying I would get top speeds as he had done the wiring to here himself just a few years ago.
Old 01-05-2013, 17:59   #4
jalzoo
cf.addict

Services: 300mb Homeworks+ SH3
jalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about themjalzoo has a spectacular aura about them

We had the same thing happen to us with TalkTalk. Phoned them to go onto fibre and they stated i had to go on a basic ADSL package then upgrade the package to fibre. I asked them why and didn't get a clear answer. Our property is about 20 years old and we live right next to the Cabinet. From ADSL to FIBRE took about 3 months terrible really.
jalzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 19:55   #5
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

You have encouraged me to chase this up and try and get a better result. 3 months!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Called up Sky today about this and was very impressed with how they dealt with me.

I was flagged on their system due to rating them much lower in one of their regular customer surveys (due to an email issue and this adsl thing) so as soon as I called their phone system recognised my mobile number, told me I was a priority customer due to recent issues and put me through to an adviser in less than 2 seconds.

After confirming the usual data protection stuff she straight away said she would call me back to save my mobile bill!

They did all the checks and even though I am still not on royal mails postcode checker they are making sure I get installed with fibre from the start. Impressed they went way beyond what they had to do to get this sorted for me and they are calling back tomorrow with the new install date which they expect will be a few days either side of the original date.

Never known a company let alone an isp to take onboard negative customer feedback and do so much to turn it around. Sky have earned some more respect here!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43   #7
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

That's the mark of a decent, well structured business, all companies can make mistakes but it's how you deal with them that makes the difference, and imo worth paying a little extra for.

Nice result Qtx
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 14:00   #8
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

That's good to hear.

I have only had to call sky support once in the many years I have had with them. Like yourself I recieved first class service.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 15:36   #9
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

As with Qtx, the only time I had to call sky was twice when my broadband was installed and I was having line issues, as above, they offered to call me back, and did so straight away, then once the fault was booked with openreach they said they would call to see if there had been any improvement (I didnt think they actually would) but they did, they called back to see how I was getting along, all from UK call centre (Scotland)
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 22:12   #10
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Going by the responses here it seems Sky are fairly consistent with their phone based customer service

The lady called back as promised and has put the fibre order in although its subject to survey on the openreach end. When she said she would monitor the order over the weekend in case anything did go wrong, felt strange actually genuinely believing they would do it lol. Not sure if she was in Scotland or not but it is refreshing speaking to someone english who you can understand and have a laugh with.

Don't think much of the sky forum guys after the handling of the email thing but the telephone support is top notch!
Old 09-05-2013, 22:22   #11
gooner4life
cf.geek

Services: SkyQ 2TB - Multiroom x3, VM 350Mb cable broadband.
gooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpack

Sky are regularly given a rough time because of the News Corp links but they are an establishment the UK should be hugely proud of IMO.

They are pound for pound the biggest and best PayTV provider in the world and fast becoming the biggest and best triple-play provider in the world.

I look forward to the day they buy a Mobile Co and put the Sky stamp of quality on a Mobile Phone operator.
gooner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 11:03   #12
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Engineer just left, finally back on Fibre

His tests showed I could get 105Mbit download and 35Mbit upload on my line.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Will probably upgrade to 80/20 after the modem does its stuff over the next few days.
Old 21-05-2013, 14:53   #13
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Engineer just left, finally back on Fibre

His tests showed I could get 105Mbit download and 35Mbit upload on my line.

Will probably upgrade to 80/20 after the modem does its stuff over the next few days.
That's all good to hear
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 14:14   #14
LogicalReflex
Inactive

LogicalReflex is an unknown quantity at this point

8.88mbps upload!

I have to get me sky fibre... Unfortunately it isn't available by me... Been living here for years aswell.
LogicalReflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 15:06   #15
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalReflex View Post
8.88mbps upload!

I have to get me sky fibre... Unfortunately it isn't available by me... Been living here for years aswell.
Just keep an eye out for any Openreach van's working near your cabinet, it's normally tell tale signs that BT Infinity Fibre broadband is on it's way, once available Sky Fibre arent normally far behind.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote