Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free V6 box

Old 13-02-2018, 10:20   #211
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Oh err missus ! The bit about WiFi, is given as a last resort. It should be the first option to avoid extra wires, PowerPoints etc. Surely if they have VM equipment the customer will of course have a stable WiFi connection ! I think they are just trying to avoid techy phone calls.
I'm with you - they do try to push the need for Powerline adapters - I know my engineer told me I would NEED them to talk between boxes.
The Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2018, 10:34   #212
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Oh err missus ! The bit about WiFi, is given as a last resort. It should be the first option to avoid extra wires, PowerPoints etc. Surely if they have VM equipment the customer will of course have a stable WiFi connection ! I think they are just trying to avoid techy phone calls.
A connection that is competing with all your neighbours WiFi. I don't think so. Started using my "remote" box with 2.4Ghz & it was useless, as despite 60% signal strength my router was competing with at least 10 other users on all the available WiFi channels & streaming was no go. Moves to 5Ghz & it worked for a while. Then it stopped. Used a WiFi scanner only to find a neighbour had started using the same channel. Chose another channel & its working again perfectly despite marginal (35%) signal.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:00   #213
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

What does the Wifi/Ethernet connection actually get used for? Is it just for communicating with other boxes/devices in the home? Or is it all catchup/ondemand services?
The original VM Tivos use the same coax as the broadcast TV, a completely separate connection to home broadband, does the V6 not do the same?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:09   #214
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
What does the Wifi/Ethernet connection actually get used for? Is it just for communicating with other boxes/devices in the home? Or is it all catchup/ondemand services?
The original VM Tivos use the same coax as the broadcast TV, a completely separate connection to home broadband, does the V6 not do the same?
Currently the internet connection is used for guide updates and BBC iPlayer and other apps.
Expect that to change and see the internet used more.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:12   #215
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
No, it also needs a standalone modem
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:57   #216
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Currently the internet connection is used for guide updates and BBC iPlayer and other apps.
Expect that to change and see the internet used more.
So does that mean bb down V6 falls down as well ?
Old 13-02-2018, 12:07   #217
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
So does that mean bb down V6 falls down as well ?
It means some parts of it stop working. But the same is true of the boxes with a built-in modem - if the modem can't connect, you lose the interactive features.
Old 13-02-2018, 13:00   #218
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It means some parts of it stop working. But the same is true of the boxes with a built-in modem - if the modem can't connect, you lose the interactive features.
So that's a yes then . Have had bb fail but TiVo works never had modem not work on TiVo guess that is something to look forward too.
Old 13-02-2018, 13:01   #219
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

..and V6 continues to work EXACTLY THE SAME as TiVo would if it lost its broadband connection.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 13:02   #220
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Installed the V6 for my dad on Sunday. Much quicker than the previous Tivo. I did notice that catch up and on demand were "temporarily unavailable". Does it take time for it to become available or should it be ready straight away? I'll be taking another look this evening, so will see if anything has changed.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 13:05   #221
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Installed the V6 for my dad on Sunday. Much quicker than the previous Tivo. I did notice that catch up and on demand were "temporarily unavailable". Does it take time for it to become available or should it be ready straight away? I'll be taking another look this evening, so will see if anything has changed.
The on demand services will take time to load, Jon. Be patient, they will arrive!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 13:16   #222
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The on demand services will take time to load, Jon. Be patient, they will arrive!
Ok thanks . Will see if they've appeared when I go up later.
Old 13-02-2018, 14:53   #223
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Try giving it a reboot.
Old 13-02-2018, 15:50   #224
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I hear that some routers are not very secure and can be hacked and V M are giving you a more up to date one free, Is this true, ? I have had mine for years,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 16:04   #225
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I hear that some routers are not very secure and can be hacked and V M are giving you a more up to date one free, Is this true, ? I have had mine for years,
You do get a Hub 3 if you have anything older than a SuperHub 2, so SuperHub 1 etc.