Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I have a router....firewall needed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I have a router....firewall needed?

Old 08-03-2005, 21:10   #1
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste
I have a router....firewall needed?

Hello there,

Now that I have a router for my internet connection am I correct in thinking that I can now just uninstall my firewall?
Old 08-03-2005, 21:13   #2
McGraw
Inactive

McGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about them
Re: I have a router....firewall needed?

No, you still need one.
McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 21:15   #3
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

If you have a (decent) firewall installed it will also warn you about outbound connections. Personally I'd keep a firewall installed for this reason.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 23:15   #4
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

If you have a NAT router then it will block all incoming ports unless you set it to forward any.
I have a NAT router and haven't used a firewall for years, never had any probs.

The only issues you will have is with malicious software installed on your internal network but if you're careful and use a secure browser (hint: not IE) then you should be safe.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 23:16   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

It really depends on your router, some have better firewalls than others. And you probably need to be aware of any upgrades to the router's firmware, to ensure that any little bugs that might be found are patched.

The true belt and braces approach is to have hardware firewall in your router, and software firewalls on your PC(s). I tend just to rely on my router, which is only a basic Linksys Wireless thing.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 23:19   #6
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I have hardware and software firewalls..........but then I also have 5 different anti spyware progs as well
Old 08-03-2005, 23:21   #7
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice... I run software firewalls at app level only, Hardware firewall on the Pix and software filtering via ISA server/proxy...
+ the good old antivirus (etrust) and spybot, spywareblaster, adaware, spywareguard and regwatch.

The internet can be a very dangerous place now a days !
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 23:23   #8
iron25
Inactive

iron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful one

No you don't need one as long as your router is using nat, however, most people will tell you to install a software firewall as well because it will give you added security so that you can identify anything coming in and going out.

I have a windows 2000 box sitting behind a router without a firewall running and it is on for around 18 hours a day and it has yet to be compromised.

Some useful info from the web:

Security: Basic NAT is not a real firewall?
Basic NAT devices are not real firewalls, but they are usually considered †˜good enoughââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ for most home networks. By not forwarding requests or probes that originate from the internet to your LAN, a NAT device blocks most mischief. A simple NAT device can not keep hackers from running DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks on you, but individuals rarely get attacked like that. It will keep out people looking for file shares, rogue mail servers and web servers, and most port based exploits. Most also protect against SMURF and WinNuke atatcks. With a NAT device and a good anti-virus program, you should be safe from the most common kinds of internet attacks.

Stateful packet inspection (SPI)
Some NAT routers have an advanced form of firewall built in that does 'stateful packet inspection'. This allows the NAT devices to filter out specific kinds of data on your router like SYN flood attacks, IP Spoofing, Teardrop attacks and others. SPI is a general term that can describe a router that filters more kinds of attacks than basic NAT by closely examining packet data structures. Of course, each manufacturer will implement different kinds of SPI so not all SPI routers are equal. Routers with SPI can often log attacks.
iron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 23:28   #9
gary_580

ive had a router running about 6 months now and in that time my software firewall hasnt detected anything coming in.
Old 08-03-2005, 23:33   #10
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
ive had a router running about 6 months now and in that time my software firewall hasnt detected anything coming in.
Since I got my router, well over a year and a half ago, I've not had one report from the software. The incoming log on the router has a lot of entries though

Suppose it depends on how paranoid you are.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:53   #11
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

If your that worried, by a hardware firewall, something like a Juniper Netscreen 50 should do you
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:09   #12
Electrolyte01

Since testing my routers firewall and it passes with flying colours, I've had no need to install a software firewall. And I havn't had any problems either.
Old 10-03-2005, 21:43   #13
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

In the usual router + firewall scenario, the router provides a level of defence against external attacks that is better than "Windows firewall".

The software firewall's main task (and Windows firewall is USELESS for this) is then to marshall the connetctions you may or may not wish to be made - application permission
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 22:14   #14
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
If your that worried, by a hardware firewall, something like a Juniper Netscreen 50 should do you
Wow what a bargain.

http://www.inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/JUNFIR07
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 23:06   #15
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolking
Multiple DMZ...
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote