Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ethernet connection is not working

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ethernet connection is not working

Old 07-03-2005, 17:57   #1
jerenus
Inactive

Services: 20MB From NTL
jerenus is an unknown quantity at this point
ethernet connection is not working

i am using usb connection
before i use the ethernet connection, with windows xp home edition( this came with the computer i don't have a cd of this operating system) , but internet was worked
when i install the windows xp proffessional (becuase i like to use it)
it delete the home edition and reinstall with proffesional
when i connect to the internet using etherent, it didn't work, so i tried to repaired the local area connection , but thats not worked too. it says "the following steps of the operation failed: renewing the ip address. please contact your network administrator or ISP"
i tried to renew the ip using cmd.exe it says "an error occured while renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your dhcp server."

please help me out of this problem
thanks
jerenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2005, 18:07   #2
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: ethernet connection is not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerenus
i am using usb connection
before i use the ethernet connection, with windows xp home edition( this came with the computer i don't have a cd of this operating system) , but internet was worked
when i install the windows xp proffessional (becuase i like to use it)
it delete the home edition and reinstall with proffesional
when i connect to the internet using etherent, it didn't work, so i tried to repaired the local area connection , but thats not worked too. it says "the following steps of the operation failed: renewing the ip address. please contact your network administrator or ISP"
i tried to renew the ip using cmd.exe it says "an error occured while renewing interface local area connection : unable to contact your dhcp server."

please help me out of this problem
thanks
I had the exact same error message when my ethernet to usb adaptor went belly up yesterday. I uninstalled the driver (in your case uninstall the ethernet card driver I suppose) and re-install it.....worth a try.
Old 07-03-2005, 18:07   #3
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

have you tried unplugging the power to the cable modem for about 30 sec's
sometimes they have a problem swoping from usb to enet
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 18:09   #4
jerenus
Inactive

i have tried those two ways that you guys said it didn't work
when i tried to reinstall & install the network card , after i did it it tried to make home networking but it says it couldn't complete!!!
thanks
any other idea?
Old 07-03-2005, 18:17   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerenus
i have tried those two ways that you guys said it didn't work
when i tried to reinstall & install the network card , after i did it it tried to make home networking but it says it couldn't complete!!!
thanks
any other idea?
Maby you just need a new cable?
This is the problem that I had a year ago that forced me back to usb
Old 07-03-2005, 18:20   #6
jerenus
Inactive

i also think the same thing , becuse when i tried the samething on another computer, it says same error message,
i think i have to buy another cable
Old 07-03-2005, 20:24   #7
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Me three.... the cable that came with the modem only lasted about 1 year - luckily I had a spare one kicking around, but it threw me for a while why it suddenly didn't work.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 20:30   #8
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

What ip address do you have .... run IPCONFIG from a cmd prompt
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 21:11   #9
jerenus
Inactive

i already tried that one