Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router swap - Any likely problems?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router swap - Any likely problems?

Old 13-03-2005, 17:12   #1
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Router swap - Any likely problems?

Currently I have a Belkin router attached directly to my cable modem running 3 (sometimes 4) computers without any problems.

I'm going to be getting a new laptop in a couple of days and was wanting to swap over the existing router for a wireless one. I've aquired a Linksys wireless AP with switch and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on how easy it will be to swap them.

Is it simply a case of switching them over. Rebooting the cable modem and letting the router do the rest for the wired connections or will I need to change anything in the settings of the computers wired up the modem?

Any help/idea/experiences gratefully received.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2005, 17:17   #2
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone
Re: Router swap - Any likely problems?

I THINK if the Linksys is an AP (Access Point) rather than a router, you'l need to keep the existing router and simply plug the AP into it. Not 100% sure though.
Old 13-03-2005, 17:18   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

It's a combined router and AP.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 17:18   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Probably depends on how you have your current router set up. If IPs and the like are all setup by the router, then simply turning everythign off, plugging in the new one, and turning all back on should sort out your LAN.

However, you will probably have to register your new router with the ntl network, or clone a mac address that the ntl modem. STB is aware of.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 17:22   #5
JohnHorb

In that case, should be a straight swap. The router needs to be set to get it's external IP froom the CM, and to serve the connected computers via DHCP, but that's normally the default anyway. AFAIK, if you are on a SACM rather than STB, there's no need to mess around cloning MAC addresses. Don't forget to set up security (WEP, limiting access to defined MAC addresses etc.) If you're not familiar with all that, I'm sure someone will be along with a link shortly.
Old 13-03-2005, 22:06   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I had no problems swapping from a wired router (Linksys BEFSR41) to a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) with my ntl SACM connection. Just needed a modem reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
Don't forget to set up security (WEP, limiting access to defined MAC addresses etc.) If you're not familiar with all that, I'm sure someone will be along with a link shortly.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 22:08   #7
JohnHorb