Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pronouns

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Pronouns

Old 07-09-2022, 10:48   #241
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It effects language and ultimately society.
Were you not aware that language evolves with the times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Language is important, so is the right to say what is implicitly true, even if it upsets some people.
As long as it complies with Laws and decency I support your right to say what you think is the truth.

But as you well know, just because you have an opinion does not mean you have to share it with the world.

In case you've forgotten, I disagree that there are more than 2 genders.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
But if a person wants you to say there is no God, would you comply to please them? Not going to hurt you is it?
Can you give me an example of a scenario where someone would require me to say that?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2022, 10:51   #242
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Can you give me an example of a scenario where someone would require me to say that?
I sure you know exactly the point I'm trying to make. You want me to agree and call someone They/Them because it doesn't hurt to do so. But I don't believe in it. So why should I.

So I put it to you, answer my question. One in which we already know the answer. It's the same.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:53   #243
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I sure you know exactly the point I'm trying to make. You want me to agree and call someone They/Them because it doesn't hurt to do so. But I don't believe in it. So why should I.

So I put it to you, answer my question. One in which we already know the answer. It's the same.
Oh you want me to answer YOUR question when you've been ignoring mine.

Outstanding.

I can't give a hypothetical answer to a question from a scenario that isn't going to happen.

You however could very well be in a situation where someone you know or around you asks you to use their chosen pronoun.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-09-2022, 10:57   #244
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Oh you want me to answer YOUR question when you've been ignoring mine.

Outstanding.

I can't give a hypothetical answer to a question from a scenario that isn't going to happen.

You however could very well be in a situation where someone you know or around you asks you to use their chosen pronoun.
Well there we have it. I've been clear but you don't accept it. That's fine. As for ignoring your questions the answers are all there, you just ignored most of mine.

I have nothing left to add to this topic, everything I've said it pretty clear enough for anyone else. No point in going round in circles. I'm moot.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:01   #245
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Great cop-out

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-09-2022, 11:02   #246
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
Great cop-out
Not at all. I know when it's going nowhere and I'm not falling for your agenda. If you want to carry it on via PM, fine by me. No point in wasting others reading time on here with this.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:10   #247
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

My only agenda was to unsuccessfully get you to answer my questions.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-09-2022, 11:52   #248
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

Well thank the Lord it wouldn’t be taught that way.

If I told you a story about my neighbour but didn’t tell you the sex/gender which pronoun would you use for this person?
Simples. He/she.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:57   #249
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Simples. He/she.
Which is clumsy and grammatically sub-optimal.

The efficient and perfectly acceptable way to refer to someone of unknown sex is, and always has been, “they”. You do your arguments no favours at all with your obsessive resistance to this one very minor thing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:01   #250
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Simples. He/she.
Which one though?

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

The efficient and perfectly acceptable way to refer to someone of unknown sex is, and always has been, “they”. You do your arguments no favours at all with your obsessive resistance to this one very minor thing.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-09-2022, 14:24   #251
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Yes, but it grates because it is ungrammatical.

However, that’s what I do to keep the peace.
Old 07-09-2022, 14:46   #252
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Which one though?:
"He/she".

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 14:49   #253
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Confusing kids with this pronoun tripe is total shite.

English, Maths and creative stuff is what schools should be teaching.

Spot on.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Spoiler: 
I'd be truthful - there is a God.

Prove it.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 14:52   #254
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
"He/she".
Which one would you use given you don’t know my neighbour’s gender?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 07-09-2022, 14:52   #255
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, but it grates because it is ungrammatical.

However, that’s what I do to keep the peace.
It is not ungrammatical. On the contrary it is correct English grammar and has been since time immemorial. It is not an invention of radical gender campaigners.

I refer you to Oxford, which has traced the earliest known use of “they” as a singular pronoun where sex is unknown to the year 1375.

https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-...singular-they/
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote