Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem: Using Freeview after Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problem: Using Freeview after Virgin Media

Old 15-08-2009, 20:40   #1
Damien3350
Inactive

Damien3350 is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem: Using Freeview after Virgin Media

Hello,

I am having a problem with getting Freeview and I was hoping someone would know how to solve it. I've tried searching for a solution online, but so far no luck. It doesn't help that I know next to nothing about TV services in general!

I recently moved into a new flat and the previous owners were using a Virgin Media V-Box which they have left. The V-Box is connected to the aerial by a white F-type cable (probably an RG-6 cable from what my online searching has told me). I have Freeview integrated into my TV, which takes a regular Belling-Lee connector for the antenna in. I assumed that I could get the Freeview working on the TV by cutting the coax cable at the end and replacing the F-type connector with a Belling-Lee connector, so I did this. When I then plugged the cable into the back of the TV and scanned for channels, all of the terrestrial channels came up fine (I even managed to get E4 as a terrestrial channel somehow), but when I scan for Freeview channels I get a message saying that no channels could be found.

Was I mistaken in thinking that it was as simple as replacing the connector?
Does anyone know how I can fix the problem and get the Freeview working?
Damien3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2009, 20:42   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Problem: Using Freeview after Virgin Media

There is no freeview feed (DVB-T) via the VM cable. The only way you can get freeview is with an antenna (or freesat via a dish)

PS...welcome to the forum
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 20:48   #3
Damien3350
Inactive

Thanks!

So what is the VM cable attached to?
Old 15-08-2009, 20:51   #4
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien3350 View Post
Thanks!

So what is the VM cable attached to?
UBR?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 20:57   #5
Damien3350
Inactive

Thanks for the help guys - I think I know how to solve the problem now. Not too bright of me in the first place.
Old 15-08-2009, 21:47   #6
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

If you are using a Virgin Media connection then you need to be paying a subscription to get channels.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 21:51   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien3350 View Post
Thanks for the help guys - I think I know how to solve the problem now. Not too bright of me in the first place.
Sounds like her tried to wire the freeview box, into the VM coax?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote