Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Integrated Freeview problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Integrated Freeview problems

Old 28-06-2009, 11:43   #1
caveman
Inactive

caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Integrated Freeview problems

I had a set up in my wifes workshop of a 14" CRT and a separate (cheapie) Freeview tuner fed from a loft aerial.
Trying to improve that for her I, bought a 19" LG LCD with built in tuner and gave one of my sons the seperate tuner.
Unfortunately the signal breaks up a lot and she is giving me jip.
I have done a few searches and conclude that the TV splits the signal to feed the RF and Freeview inputs. This appears to weaken the signal on occasions and cause the problem.
Firstly, does this sound reasonable.
The answer is to change the aerial - which is inpractical as I already have VM in 2 rooms. Go back to the seperates solution ie. TV and separate tuner.
Richer Sounds said that I could return the TV but they have no TV's without tuners.
Would you keep the TV and buy another tuner and feed the AV input. Or what would you advise, please.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2009, 11:45   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Integrated Freeview problems

Get a masthead amp with 2 or more feeds this will boost the signal and also prevent loss from more than one downlead. It should help but as always an antenna in the loft is never gonna be fantastic
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 12:18   #3
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Loft aerials and passive splitting are very unlikley to get a good result, particularly with digital. You're possibly loosing 1/3 of your signal through the roof. Putting it outside, even on an outside wall as high as possible may make the difference you need. Also no two manufacturers tuners are the same, some are more sensative than others.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 13:33   #4
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Also no two manufacturers tuners are the same, some are more sensative than others.
I'll second that. I've bought several LCD TVs in recent months and tried them on the exact same roof aerial/splitter amp setup. Some are perfect while others show a much lower signal level and suffer from appalling pixellation.

Even units from the same manufacturer don't seem to be consistant.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote