Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2018, 12:07   #2506
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit discussion

I've been on 'the continent' for over a week and spoke to few locals and watched a few news programmes. Not once has 'Brexit' been mentioned, it seems to be a total irrelevance. The only ones obsessed are sunburnt irate British, whining from behind their tabloids on sunloungers they haven't moved from ! Just thought it interesting that we seem to overestimate own importance.
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2018, 12:38   #2507
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I've been on 'the continent' for over a week and spoke to few locals and watched a few news programmes. Not once has 'Brexit' been mentioned, it seems to be a total irrelevance. The only ones obsessed are sunburnt irate British, whining from behind their tabloids on sunloungers they haven't moved from ! Just thought it interesting that we seem to overestimate own importance.
why bother coming back if you love it so much
Old 25-03-2018, 13:51   #2508
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
why bother coming back if you love it so much
Obviously because he lives here , his family lives here and he works here..
Old 25-03-2018, 15:09   #2509
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Maybe because it's affects our our country more than theirs? so it will be a political sore point for most that live here?

Just saying
Old 25-03-2018, 15:52   #2510
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Obviously because he lives here , his family lives here and he works here..
poor excuse .
Old 25-03-2018, 17:30   #2511
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
poor excuse .
Not a excuse but a fact even though it might not be to your liking..
Old 25-03-2018, 17:53   #2512
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I didn't say the UK was ineffective, I said the EU was! Interesting how you have twisted this, however.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Really? Why do you think that all co-operation with security issues would end with our departing the EU?

Curious way of thinking...!
Apologies, poor wording on my part, I was asking how the EU was ineffective, not the UK. I think we are agreed that the UK intelligence systems are pretty good and membership of the ‘five eyes’ agreement certainly helps us and our allies. But to say the EU is ineffective is not backed up by the number of arrests, the number of convictions and the conviction rate as shown the Europol report I linked to.
Old 25-03-2018, 18:42   #2513
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Apologies, poor wording on my part, I was asking how the EU was ineffective, not the UK. I think we are agreed that the UK intelligence systems are pretty good and membership of the ‘five eyes’ agreement certainly helps us and our allies. But to say the EU is ineffective is not backed up by the number of arrests, the number of convictions and the conviction rate as shown the Europol report I linked to.
Old Boy has failed to support his moaning with any facts as the evidence contradicts his assertions.
Old 26-03-2018, 08:51   #2514
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Old Boy has failed to support his moaning with any facts as the evidence contradicts his assertions.
I had in mind the failure of the European countries to track suspected or known terrorists as they moved from country to country. I don't know what 'facts' you are alluding to. Europe relies heavily on our intelligence and expertise in this field.
Old 26-03-2018, 10:47   #2515
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

I don't think anyone is disagreeing here that the UK is a leader in intelligence gathering and analysis. The UK has also led initiatives on intelligence sharing across the EU. However, to say that other intelligence agencies in Europe are ineffective doesn't seem to be supported by any evidence that I can find.

Again, the Europol document I linked to shows the levels of arrests and successful convictions by country across the EU. I would like to know what percentage are due to UK intelligence gathering
Old 26-03-2018, 11:44   #2516
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not a excuse but a fact even though it might not be to your liking..
I think what your trying to say is the EU is a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to stay in it
Old 26-03-2018, 12:00   #2517
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I don't think anyone is disagreeing here that the UK is a leader in intelligence gathering and analysis. The UK has also led initiatives on intelligence sharing across the EU. However, to say that other intelligence agencies in Europe are ineffective doesn't seem to be supported by any evidence that I can find.

Again, the Europol document I linked to shows the levels of arrests and successful convictions by country across the EU. I would like to know what percentage are due to UK intelligence gathering
It's the ones they miss you want to worry about
Old 26-03-2018, 12:19   #2518
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think what your trying to say is the EU is a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to stay in it
I shouldn't laugh but
Old 26-03-2018, 12:27   #2519
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's the ones they miss you want to worry about
Very true, but we are heading in the right direction at least. The numbers of arrests are going up (1002 in 2016 vs. 776 in 2014) while the number of attacks is going down (226 in 2014 vs. 142 in 2016. Only 47% of planned attacks were successful which is an OKish result. The other 53% were failed or foiled.

I had a look at some the data in that Europol report to see if we can get any 'bang for the buck' information. I looked at the number of arrests and divided that number by the number of attacks.

Ireland and Austria stood out with plenty of arrests and and attacks. In countries were there were attacks, these are the number of arrests per attack;

UK - 2 (not reported)
France - 20 (Not reported)
Belgium - 16 (92%)
Spain - 12 (85%)
Netherlands - 45 (93%)
Germany - 7 (not reported)
Italy - 2 (55%)
Greece - 3 (Not reported)

The figures in brackets are the conviction rates. Well done the Netherlands!
Old 26-03-2018, 17:52   #2520
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
l am perfectly happy here in dear old Blighty and as for visiting abroad well lets just say it would cost more then a arm and a leg..