Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reusing Sky coax cable for Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Reusing Sky coax cable for Virgin

Old 18-04-2018, 22:37   #1
CadWizard
Inactive

CadWizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Reusing Sky coax cable for Virgin

Hi, I have been looking around the forum but couldn't quite see an answer to this one.

I currently have Sky Q installed and the 2 coax cables come from the dish under my Lounge floor and to my box, my question is If I change to a Virgin TiVo box can I use one of the coax cables coming from the Sky dish for the Virgin box? are they the same type of cable? I know I would obviously have to cut the cable the other end and fit a new connector so I could plug it in to the Virgin white box. I just don`t want to pull up the floor if I dont have to.

Hopefully I have explained it but if not let me know

Thank you

Adz
CadWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2018, 22:39   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Reusing Sky coax cable for Virgin

Some one will be able to help shortly.
Old 18-04-2018, 23:32   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Should be able to do IIRC the sky cable is better quality but stand (sit) to be corrected.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 23:55   #4
CadWizard
Inactive

CadWizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Should be able to do IIRC the sky cable is better quality but stand (sit) to be corrected.
Thank you, I hope its ok!
CadWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 00:34   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 23:16   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Its not better quality cable as its only dual shielded whereas VM cable is triple shielded and slightly thicker. RG6 connectors will still work on it, it should still be possible to use it but you will find that no VM install tech will use this cable willingly as its against the current install standards.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 14:53   #7
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Sky use super-thin twinshot stuff (WF65?). Thinner gauge copper.
You won't get normal screw-on F-Connectors to fit, so I don't know what Virgin would do with it - Fine for TV, but internet/modems - not great.

WF100 is the go-to. 'RG6' is a very vague term and can include some truly shocking quality examples from many different manufacturers.

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 20:57   #8
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

The other thing to note is to use solid core coax not air flow/honeycombe...
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 13:22   #9
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

AFAIK VM use webro HD100 for new installations. It's triple shielded. WF100 is double shielded.

Screw on connectors are poor and should never be used by a VM installer...

A recent installation for me used PPC EX compression fittings. I am not sure if the same fittings are used by all VM installers.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 22:12   #10
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallar View Post
AFAIK VM use webro HD100 for new installations. It's triple shielded. WF100 is double shielded.

Screw on connectors are poor and should never be used by a VM installer...
HD100, huh? I'd be surprised if they use that as it's about 2.5 times the price, but good on them if they do. Wonder what their install guidelines are...

Going by VM installs I've seen, steel core/paper shield RG6 is the norm - crap. But I guess 'whatever's on the van is the best for the job'

As for screw-ons, they certainly shouldn't be fitted by professionals. I can understand why customers would use 'em though.

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 21:11   #11
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Just to clarify, VM installers all use the same stock, Amphenol RG6 and RG11 from Times Fiber. Full product set from the web link below, for reference it is the tri shield 77% that is used across the UK for interal RG6 runs.

https://www.timesfiber.com/indoor-dr...-series-6.html

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote