Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 13-09-2016, 21:15   #496
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
I am the source quoted as I made a post on another forum regarding this, they admitted to me on the telephone they are having widespread speed issues (tivo responsiveness) they even state the same on there own help pages I did not realise it was a secret. For avoidence of doubt it was someone who works in the Ceo office not the Ceo.

They did not say everyone has speed issues but they know a lot of people are. Myself included and they said they are working on a fix with Tivo as far as I know this is all common knowledge! They have said they are doing something about it so I will take them at there word.

I have no hatred for Virgin I am a long term customer of theirs
So you spoke to 1 person and they said something that more than likely was just their thoughts and opinion. Doesn't mean its officially recognised as a full widespread issue.

My TiVo isn't speedy by any means but neither do I find it unresponsive and too slow. Although I am getting Sky Q next week as had enough of the price rises and also wanted a box that was faster.
Old 13-09-2016, 21:36   #497
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

Yes I spoke to one person who works in the Ceo office who said the speed issue is not confined to one area weather or not that was just their opinion or not I dont know but as a representative of Virgin Media I should imagine they have to be very careful about what they say. In no way have I said or Virgins representative that everyone is having the issue but a some are some are not (luck of the draw I guess) The person also said Tivo were looking at a software fix for the issues since the update so surely that is admitting in some cases there is a problem and it was not just the staff members opinion.

As for you getting Sky Q I am jealous as I do find the price increases getting beyond the joke and My Tivos I speak for myself no one elses machines are to slow since the update.

However my only alternative options are BT/ Talk talk so Im stuck otherwise I would be off to Sky with you.

Last edited by dodgem22; 13-09-2016 at 21:43.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 21:48   #498
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes I spoke to one person who works in the Ceo office who said the speed issue is not confined to one area weather or not that was just their opinion or not I dont know but as a representative of Virgin Media I should imagine they have to be very careful about what they say. In no way have I said or Virgins representative that everyone is having the issue but a some are some are not (luck of the draw I guess) The person also said Tivo were looking at a software fix for the issues since the update so surely that is admitting in some cases there is a problem and it was not just the staff members opinion.

As for you getting Sky Q I am jealous as I do find the price increases getting beyond the joke and My Tivos I speak for myself no one elses machines are to slow since the update.

However my only alternative options are BT/ Talk talk so Im stuck otherwise I would be off to Sky with you.

Until we know what functionality the new Tivo brings, it is premature to say that Sky Q is better; it may be, but we simply don't know that at this stage.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 21:55   #499
dodgem22
cf.addict

dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

My boxes are very slow samsung 1 tb and samsung 500 gig maybe as has been suggested it is down to over utilisation and not the boxes themselves I dont know. However before the update they were no where near as slow as they are now.

My shows hangs for about 20 seconds when loading and unloading. I do not bother with the apps as my tv is much much faster at loading them but the tv is quad core.

I have spoken in depth to the Ceo office who have said it is a wide spread problem that they are aware off and are working on a fix with the Tivo software people.

Sky is not an option for me and I dont think I am brave enough to ever return to B.T.

The cynic in me says Virgin said lets brick our current boxes so people upgrade (at cost) to our new faster v6 turbo charged box v6 in tuners and v6 in power

The above is what I posted on the other website.

Thats true Passing bat I will hopefully be getting a V6 depending on its cost off course as it may be to expensive I dont know. The one thing they did say ((maybe just the staff members opinion and not official) was the V6 is much faster than the current Tivo they were tight lipped about anything else to do with the box saying they dont have the pricing information yet. Weather or not it will be install only cost or extra monthly cost or both they would not disclose.

So if it truly is faster and at a reasonable price I am in.

Last edited by dodgem22; 13-09-2016 at 21:59. Reason: to make clear I was showing quote
Old 13-09-2016, 23:19   #500
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

While not instant 20 seconds really isn't that long to wait.

Remember the hardware in the VM TiVo is now over 5 years old. So its never going to be ultra fast.

I personally don't think that a few seconds access time really counts as a wide spread nationwide issue.
Old 14-09-2016, 00:11   #501
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Liberty Global confirms that it will base its next Horizon box on the V6.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...n-horizon-box/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 03:37   #502
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Remember the hardware in the VM TiVo is now over 5 years old. So its never going to be ultra fast.

I personally don't think that a few seconds access time really counts as a wide spread nationwide issue.
Fundamentally, the Sky+HD hardware is 6 years old too (first DRX890's came out in 2010 - there are older models but this is essentially the model still used today) but it hasn't slowed down to the extent that TIVO boxes have in a similar time frame.

The TIVO box app idea seemed great at the time (and it was much faster at the time!) but a more integrated system like Sky use would probably have been better in the long term. Most people I know say the TIVO on-demand apps are painfully slow to load and then often don't work anyway.

Last edited by bubblegun; 14-09-2016 at 03:42.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 06:10   #503
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

That is the way l see it as well.
Old 14-09-2016, 07:24   #504
dodgem22
cf.addict

Quote:

The point is before the update it was faster. Surely the point of updating the software is to improve things not make them worse.

20 seconds or so might not seem a long time to you but to me it is. (20 seconds is an estimate I havent actually timed it but its slow) Friends have commented on it and said the same and they would not consider Virgin for tv for this reason. They have Sky. Now apps thats another matter as I have said before I do not bother with the Tivo for apps as talking minutes to load not seconds but I have much faster means for apps in my Tvs hardware

The hardware may be five years old but as bills continue to rise I would expect performance to advance not go backwards as bubblegun said sky+ hardware is 6 years old to but hasnt slowed down the box just cannot cope with what Virgin want it to do perhaps if they just concentrated on it being a PVr , provided a dynamic epg and did away with the apps it would be faster but I appreciate some customers may have no other way of getting the apps.

Last edited by dodgem22; 14-09-2016 at 07:33.
Old 14-09-2016, 07:37   #505
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
The point is before the update it was faster. Surely the point of updating the software is to improve things not make them worse.

20 seconds or so might not seem a long time to you but to me it is. (20 seconds is an estimate I havent actually timed it but its slow) Friends have commented on it and said the same and they would not consider Virgin for tv for this reason. They have Sky. Now apps thats another matter as I have said before I do not bother with the Tivo for apps as talking minutes to load not seconds but I have much faster means for apps in my Tvs hardware

The hardware may be five years old but as bills continue to rise I would expect performance to advance not go backwards as bubblegun said sky+ hardware is 6 years old to but hasnt slowed down the box just cannot cope with what Virgin want it to do perhaps if they just concentrated on it being a PVr , provided a dynamic epg and did away with the apps it would be faster but I appreciate some customers may have no other way of getting the apps.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 07:55   #506
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Sky+ HD software isn't nearly as complex as TiVo in terms of what it tries to do and while performance for some appears sluggish, mine has not got any worse since the update.

I never use on Demand and have suggestions turned off and never use the apps either, and it seems ok to me. However as they try to add new features and what not to TiVo then as the hardware can't seem to handle it, it will get slower. Thats probably why all those apps Cindy Rose mentioned never appeared.

Iuse another stb for my Netflix and On Demand as its so much faster.
Old 14-09-2016, 08:44   #507
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky+ HD software isn't nearly as complex as TiVo in terms of what it tries to do
Precisely

Quote:
I never use on Demand and have suggestions turned off and never use the apps either, and it seems ok to me. However as they try to add new features and what not to TiVo then as the hardware can't seem to handle it, it will get slower. Thats probably why all those apps Cindy Rose mentioned never appeared. .
Summed up well

Quote:
I use another stb for my Netflix and On Demand as its so much faster.

I do the same, and what I've been suggesting people do for ages.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 09:27   #508
dodgem22
cf.addict

I do the same to I use my Tvs hardware for netflix and catch up. I dont use suggestions.

I agree the Sky + software is not as complex and that is the core of the problem you would not expect an old computer to run windows 10 but Virgin are trying to get their old Tivo to run software it really is not designed to cope with thats why I feel it would be better in hindsight if they had just focused on it being a 3 tuner PVR as you say Stephen if all the apps Cindy Rose mentioned had come the boxes would imo grind to a halt.

I accept that for some people the Tivo speed may be acceptable but for me and my family and friends we all feel it is sluggish and worse so since the update. Other forums to are awash with people of the same opinion, albeit a few who disagree to.

Last edited by dodgem22; 14-09-2016 at 09:33.
Old 14-09-2016, 09:45   #509
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I think if VM had just offered the standard TiVo software then the boxes hardware could have coped fine, however VM have had the TiVo UI and background stuff so heavily modified and customised that perhaps that was their problem.
Old 14-09-2016, 12:39   #510
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I do the same to I use my Tvs hardware for netflix and catch up. I dont use suggestions.

I agree the Sky + software is not as complex and that is the core of the problem you would not expect an old computer to run windows 10 but Virgin are trying to get their old Tivo to run software it really is not designed to cope with thats why I feel it would be better in hindsight if they had just focused on it being a 3 tuner PVR as you say Stephen if all the apps Cindy Rose mentioned had come the boxes would imo grind to a halt.

I accept that for some people the Tivo speed may be acceptable but for me and my family and friends we all feel it is sluggish and worse so since the update. Other forums to are awash with people of the same opinion, albeit a few who disagree to.
I don't entirely buy the argument that the hardware can't now support the software it's being asked to run unless we consider that the software (or the platform it's been developed upon) is a bag of spanners.

The Roku LT isn't exactly cutting edge but that's what all my Now TV boxes are base on and I have no issue with them displaying lists and loading on demand apps (e.g. iPlayer).

To my mind the instability of the box and noticable lag started with the "Plum" update when they moved to using Haxe. Whether it is because this release allowed more apps to be deployed and they dodgy apps and their libraries are eating into resources or whether it's just since the Plum update the software isn't so reliable I don't know but I don't think asking a computer to display a list of recordings is asking too much, irrespective of the age of the technology. it used to work fine why not now?

Then we have the delay when pressing "Play". Are were really claiming that has now become too much for the hardware. Other than the addition of some apps what has really been done that needs such a boost in hardware?

I lost my confidence in the team working on the VM Tivo software quite a while ago and even with a new box that'll just give them more resources to chew up. I really do love the TiVo features (specifically the auto clash resolution....which Sky Q doesn't seem to have as I asked them) but they're going to be out of the game soon, they don't update their software enough and are being left behind.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote