Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2016, 18:08   #2041
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Germany warns hard Brexit will damage UK car industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
. Things change.
The Bank of England is still independent. Nothing has changed.
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2016, 18:28   #2042
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Not at all. I remember well that 19 years ago a Labour Prime Minister disassociated himself from changing interest rates to alleviate the Labour Government from potential negativity. That was Labour. That was 19 years ago. Things change.
No they haven't,you are completely wrong ,the Prime Minister is not allowed to influence the BofE at all ,it is independent from government

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You need to move on from 24 June and focus on what the country as a whole wants. The British Governments should be taking the views of everyone in the country and the majority want her to focus on a great trade deal and not immigration.
I've been looking at at that poll and it strikes me that the result isn't as clear cut as the media is making out .

The questions where asked in pairs not as a whole ,for example i could ask

"should the government prioritise reducing immigration or prioritise getting a good trade deal when negotiating Brexit"

that question would give the result you and the media are reporting,however the question wasn't a single question it was a 2 part question ,one part dealing with immigration and the other part dealing with trade and then asking to choose which one best suits your view

Quote:
For each of the following pairs of statements, which comes closest to your own opinion?

The government should prioritise reducing immigration when negotiating the UK’s exit from the EU 39%

The government should prioritise getting favourable trade deals with EU countries when negotiating the UK’s exit from the EU 49%
I don't think it's the same as asking "which would you prefer"

Old 16-10-2016, 19:33   #2043
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
No they haven't,you are completely wrong ,the Prime Minister is not allowed to influence the BofE at all ,it is independent from government.
Indeed. With all the resources available on the internet, it's sad that people do not check the fundamentals before posting.

Quote:
I've been looking at that poll and it strikes me that the result isn't as clear cut as the media is making out .

The questions where asked in pairs not as a whole, for example, I could ask

"should the government prioritise reducing immigration or prioritise getting a good trade deal when negotiating Brexit?"

that question would give the result you and the media are reporting,however the question wasn't a single question it was a 2 part question ,one part dealing with immigration and the other part dealing with trade and then asking to choose which one best suits your view

I don't think it's the same as asking "which would you prefer"
An interesting and well-argued point. I'm not a pollster so I can't say but I would be interested to hear from someone who is.
Old 16-10-2016, 19:52   #2044
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Indeed. With all the resources available on the internet, it's sad that people do not check the fundamentals before posting.

An interesting and well-argued point. I'm not a pollster so I can't say but I would be interested to hear from someone who is.
Maybe the question is designed like that to give a more accurate result ,i don't know but yes it would be interesting to find out why it was put like that after all polling companies invest vast amounts of money looking at how to ask questions so as not to influence the answer

Old 16-10-2016, 20:12   #2045
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So let me get this right. The automotive industry will /may relocate to Eastern Europe due to lower production costs and this will affect Brexit because...

Brexit or no Brexit it will still happen.
Old 16-10-2016, 20:37   #2046
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

UK looks at paying billions into EU budget after Brexit

Quote:
Britain would continue to pay billions of pounds into the EU budget after Brexit to maintain cherished single-market access for the City of London and other sectors under plans being discussed by Theresa May’s cabinet...

But in a move likely to upset many Conservative Eurosceptics, Mrs May has not ruled out making future payments to the EU to secure privileged access to the single market. Finance is among the sectors most likely to benefit in any deal that recognised the “equivalence” of regulatory regimes.
https://www.ft.com/content/a8ec5e90-...c-bdf38d484582
Old 16-10-2016, 20:59   #2047
martyh

Re: UK looks at paying billions into EU budget after Brexit

Quote:
Is that even possible ? what would the rest of the EU members say to the UK buying back privelidge

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So let me get this right. The automotive industry will /may relocate to Eastern Europe due to lower production costs and this will affect Brexit because...

Brexit or no Brexit it will still happen.
Didn't Ford do it a few years back with the Transit production and to be honest Nissan have been threatening to cut production OR cast doubt on future investment for some years now,long before brexit

Old 16-10-2016, 21:14   #2048
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Re: UK looks at paying billions into EU budget after Brexit

Quote:
Is that even possible ? what would the rest of the EU members say to the UK buying back privilege?
We just don't know. I think Norway and Switzerland do something similar. They get a worse deal than member states do as they have to implement equivalent legislation, fund the EU but, have freedom of movement but don't get a chance to influence legislation.
I could see such a deal being attractive to net budget contributors like Germany and France as this would go some way to making up EU contributions when the UK leaves. We may even end up contributing more than we do at the moment.

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Quote:
Didn't Ford do it a few years back with the Transit production and to be honest Nissan have been threatening to cut production OR cast doubt on future investment for some years now,long before brexit
Ford has ended all vehicle production in the UK, it just manufactures engines and does design and engineering work here.
The issue with downsizing by a Japanese manufacturer is that they are relatively new operations whereas Ford's factories were a lot older. Ford Dagenham opened in 1931, Southampton in 1939.
Old 16-10-2016, 21:30   #2049
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
The Bank of England is still independent. Nothing has changed.
I said things change not things have changed. And I was referring to the current incumbent, whom I think is appointed by the Government, not the status of the bank. Geddit?
Old 16-10-2016, 21:47   #2050
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I said things change not things have changed. And I was referring to the current incumbent, whom I think is appointed by the Government, not the status of the bank. Geddit?
So why did you state that "he feels the Prime Minister can't tell him what to do." knowing that the Bank of England is still independent and the PM can't tell Carney what to do?

Last edited by 1andrew1; 16-10-2016 at 21:59.
Old 16-10-2016, 21:53   #2051
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
So why did you state that "he feels the Prime Minister can't tell him what to do." knowing that the Bank of England is still independent and the PM can't tell Carney what to do?
Dear Lord, don't be tiresome there's a good boy. Do you think that the Government might tell him to go?
Old 16-10-2016, 22:00   #2052
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Dear Lord, don't be tiresome there's a good boy. Do you think that the Government might tell him to go?
They can and probably will.

However a lot of the possible replacements aren't going to take a job which is notionally independent but subject to government interference. If Carney goes because he won't play ball then others will be reluctant too.

Last edited by Damien; 16-10-2016 at 22:03.
Old 16-10-2016, 22:03   #2053
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It was a simple question I asked, it's regrettable that you found it too tiring to answer it.
Old 16-10-2016, 22:19   #2054
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
It was a simple question I asked, it's regrettable that you found it too tiring to answer it.
Tbh a simple extrapolation would have provided your answer for you and you ninja edited your post.
Old 16-10-2016, 22:23   #2055
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Tbh a simple extrapolation would have provided your answer for you and you ninja edited your post.
I just don't know why you won't give me a straight answer to a straight question and be done with me.
Closed Thread