Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2004, 14:40   #1201
dr wadd

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

So much for the post-code checker.

Just phoned up technical support who confirmed that as I had found the service in my area should have been upgraded to 1.5Mb, as it had been at the beginning of August for a couple of weeks. They reset to modem on the system and now it is back to 1.5Mb, I hope this isn`t going to keep happening.

Advertisement
Old 22-08-2004, 17:00   #1202
MatTman
Inactive

MatTman is an unknown quantity at this point

where is the POSTCODE checker?????
Old 22-08-2004, 17:07   #1203
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatTman
where is the POSTCODE checker?????
Here you go

http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/e...de/checker.php

Grr, just had to get on to tech support again, they managed to get the speed back up to 1.5Mb, but they set the wrong config so I didn`t get the XBox service.

Old 22-08-2004, 23:51   #1204
tnbain
Inactive

tnbain is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in scotland,and my area is pa34rs the checker says i received my upgrade but i havent yet and ntl give no information on the upgrades or anything.Does anyone know if some areas maybe just cant get it or if ntl are wrong or what cos i read some of the older posts that say the english areas had similar problems to this,Im on 600k pc modem!....cheers.
Old 22-08-2004, 23:54   #1205
RazorD
Inactive

RazorD is an unknown quantity at this point

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:49:17 UTC
1st 128K took 1078 ms = 121588 Bytes/sec = approx 1012 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1078 ms = 121588 Bytes/sec = approx 1012 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1078 ms = 121588 Bytes/sec = approx 1012 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1063 ms = 123304 Bytes/sec = approx 1026 kbits/sec

I guess that means im still on 1mb?
Old 22-08-2004, 23:59   #1206
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Yup.......
Old 23-08-2004, 00:05   #1207
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbain
I live in scotland,and my area is pa34rs the checker says i received my upgrade but i havent yet and ntl give no information on the upgrades or anything.Does anyone know if some areas maybe just cant get it or if ntl are wrong or what cos i read some of the older posts that say the english areas had similar problems to this,Im on 600k pc modem!....cheers.
The postcode checker seems to have the accuracy of Michael Fish predicting hurricanes

Old 23-08-2004, 10:18   #1208
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Any NTL bods out there know when NG18, NG19 and NG20 are going to be upgraded?

Old 24-08-2004, 02:18   #1209
squiggs1982
Inactive

squiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the roughsquiggs1982 is a jewel in the rough

Eek! PA4 (Renfrew - Scotland) area not due for upgrade until November! I'll have moved by then! :-( Anybody know how much of Peterborough is NTL enabled? Here was me thinking it was just a matter of flipping a switch
Old 24-08-2004, 02:39   #1210
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

they could in theory upgrade you but it seems ntl are been conservative and wont upgrade area's until they are sure there is spare capacity after the upgrade. Good news is that the postcode checker seems inaccurate so far so you might well not be waiting until november.
Old 24-08-2004, 09:33   #1211
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Anyone have any idea when us poor STB users will get the 1.5mb upgrade??? my area was done in August according to the postcode checker, and the whole of Manchester seems to have been done! Getting a little annoyed now at paying for a slower service compared to most other people in my area! Surley they can at least switch on the upgrade for areas that have been done? and when is this bl00dy cut off date where those who haven't had thier STB's swapped drop down to the 750k service until they arrange for it to be done?
Old 24-08-2004, 13:16   #1212
nmcog
Inactive

nmcog is an unknown quantity at this point

It says done for my postcode too (Blackburn) but I'm still on 1Mbit. It said October in the letter I got.
Old 24-08-2004, 13:29   #1213
Kneebs
Inactive

Kneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Kneebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheNW
Anyone have any idea when us poor STB users will get the 1.5mb upgrade??? my area was done in August according to the postcode checker, and the whole of Manchester seems to have been done! Getting a little annoyed now at paying for a slower service compared to most other people in my area! Surley they can at least switch on the upgrade for areas that have been done? and when is this bl00dy cut off date where those who haven't had thier STB's swapped drop down to the 750k service until they arrange for it to be done?
Well, I had a bit of computer bother last night, and after sorting that out, just after 1 o'clock, the STB just rebooted itself. Ooooh, I thought...checked but still on 1meg. After checking the event log on the STB, it showed an 'abnormal reboot' timed at 00:00 on 00/00/0000, right after a message about no signal !! Bugger
Old 24-08-2004, 13:40   #1214
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcog
It says done for my postcode too (Blackburn) but I'm still on 1Mbit. It said October in the letter I got.
Are you going via STB or Cable Modem? If you are going via STB, you will have to wait until NTL have replaced all the Pace STBs that are on the 1 Mbit service.

Like me..
Old 24-08-2004, 19:12   #1215
Dessimat0r
Inactive

Dessimat0r is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill C came to have a look at my cable today, and he did find a problem - apparently, the cable was too thin from the area box to the cable box, so it going to be re-pulled Wednesday or Thursday.

He also swapped the box over to a different one, but I'm still getting packet loss when using P2P apps. Hopefully it will all be fixed after the re-pull
Closed Thread