Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 16:29   #691
td444
Inactive

td444 is on a distinguished roadtd444 is on a distinguished road
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
Depends on what you are doing!

Most users don't want or need to max out their connection all the time. Yes, you can max it out, but in reality who needs to?
Just do it at off peak times , then no-one at NTL will care so much, as it doesnt have a knock on effect with others.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2004, 16:35   #692
|WS-420|
Inactive

|WS-420| is an unknown quantity at this point

been with NTL/Cable and wireless TV for about 25 years (? since it started anyway) and NTL BB since start (late 2000 ?) and this is the most forthcoming, quitest and best upgrade ever..other then the jump to digital.. they probably didn't release press coverage because of premoting "don't get your hopes up" vibes.

Thanks again NTL!
NTL Bashers **** off and get a life, go crawl your sorry ass back to bt if its so bad (GOOD LUCK! lol)
Old 02-08-2004, 16:52   #693
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
Brighton's done

Time to hit Shareaza with my sparkling new 750k
Old 02-08-2004, 16:54   #694
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
well thats my point, if ntl had more work then you announce it when you can deliver, ntl have more customers but in theory they should also have the extra capability to go with it, smaller networks are harder to provide same scale increases. The £3 rise should have been £1 on each tier especially as the bottom tier got a 100% increase, but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package. If I am not mistaken all telewest customers were upgraded within the month they started, so if its true some people are having to wait until november (3 months after today and 6 months after original announcment) should they still have to pay the same as customers on higher speeds.
NTL appear to get slated when they don't tell you in advance what is happening and also if they do tell you in advance. Make up your mind which you prefer.

NTL may have more customers but they exist in what were several smaller franchises, each with their own architecture and methods. They are slowly bringing the different franchises together but that takes time and money.

I didn't see the top tier customers posting last year when the bottom tier had a £3 increase and they didn't to say that this was unfair on bottom tier customers and all tiers should have had a £1 increase.

We will have to wait and see how long the speed upgrade process takes as if memory serves me, NTL have never quoted an actual date for completion or pointed customers to the postcode upgrade checker which appears to be not telling the truth anyway.

Unless NTL start advertising the service quoting the new speeds as being what you will get you can hardly grumble that you aren't getting what you are paying for.

I can't believe all the grumbling and moaning over getting more for your money.
Old 02-08-2004, 16:56   #695
eastwind

750 is enabled now in my (macclesfield) area !!!

Old 02-08-2004, 16:58   #696
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Upgraded here too but have to say I can't remember seeing anything at work to say this had been actioned as from today
Old 02-08-2004, 16:59   #697
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Got home (Fleet, Hants) and checked the CM and it was still on 1Mbps. Rebooted the CM andââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦
Quote:
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:56:43 GMT
1st 128K took 629 ms = 208382 Bytes/sec = approx 1734 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 883 ms = 148439 Bytes/sec = approx 1235 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 700 ms = 187246 Bytes/sec = approx 1558 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 710 ms = 184608 Bytes/sec = approx 1536 kbits/sec
Well done all the people at ntl who are involved in the upgrade!
Old 02-08-2004, 17:01   #698
Hell's Child
Inactive

Hell's Child has a spectacular aura about themHell's Child has a spectacular aura about themHell's Child has a spectacular aura about themHell's Child has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
well thats my point, if ntl had more work then you announce it when you can deliver, ntl have more customers but in theory they should also have the extra capability to go with it, smaller networks are harder to provide same scale increases.
If this would have happened, then we would have had people on here complaining that ntl were crap and telewest were far better.... people asking "where is our speed increase?" as if is their devine right to get an upgrade in the first place. No matter what ntl do people will always be there to shoot them down.
If the majority of areas (i.e 75%) are ready for release by August but the other 25% isn't, do you:-
a) release the 75% or
b) hold the upgrade up untill all areas are avabliable?
c) Dont tell anyone your plans untill all areas are avaliable for upgrade?

Choose option a, and you hack of 25% of your customers are hacked off because they cannot get the speed some other people are getting for 2-3 months.
Choose option b, and you have 75% of your customers hacked off because they could get the upgrade but haven't got it because of the upgrades required to bring all areas upto standard.
Choose option c, and hack EVERYONE off, because they see telewest upgrading their customers FOC.
Which do you do, go with hacking off the majority, or minority.
Yeah it's sh1te but that's the choice, and I agree with the choice that was made.

Quote:
The £3 rise should have been £1 on each tier especially as the bottom tier got a 100% increase, but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package. If I am not mistaken all telewest customers were upgraded within the month they started, so if its true some people are having to wait until november (3 months after today and 6 months after original announcment) should they still have to pay the same as customers on higher speeds.
So, a free upgrade.... for lower tier customers... if some people don't get it as early as others ntl should give them a discount? so ntl pay people be on the lower speeds.... after offering a free upgrade that has cost a few mill? I can't see your logic? I am on 600k and would not personally begrudge paying the same amount as someone on 750k for 2-3 months because by ubr wasn't upograded, provided that I knew it wouldn't be permanant. We know that all areas should be completed by Nov 2nd, and therefore it wouldn't bother me. If people that much that they aren't getting there FREE upgrades as quick as someone else, why not go join BT on a 512k connection at £26.00 a month?
Personally, I don't think that the 1mb should have gone up in price but I certainly dont think the 300 or the 750k service should see a price increase.
Disagree with me if you wish but it seems some people would still find a reason to complain about ntl, even if they gave all their services away for free.

Quote:
but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package.
How do you know this??? Have you information from somewhere confirming this or is it just speculation? If it is speculation, you cannot state it is from the top tier customers.... especially when the majority (i.e 92%) of ntl's broadband customers are on 150K (300K) or 600k (750k)

*******edit... I need to learn to proof read before hitting that *post* button
Old 02-08-2004, 17:04   #699
2||Para
Inactive

Services: 20MB BB,Sky TV
2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice

I Can See why some people would be upset at having to wait longer than other's,it's only natural to want what nextdoor's kid has.

Perhaps if more people did complain about the service they are provided with,we would have a customer 1st attitude like the USA,rather than the Shhh dont complain attitude we have in this country.
Old 02-08-2004, 17:10   #700
beardsley
Inactive

beardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by th'engineer
Just out of interest has anybody calculated how long you have to be connected and download to exceed the cap per day.
On 1.5 Mbit/s you could hit the cap in 1 hour 31 minutes if you really tried.
Old 02-08-2004, 17:12   #701
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardsley
On 1.5 Mbit/s you could hit the cap in 1 hour 31 minutes if you really tried.

Old 02-08-2004, 17:13   #702
Hell's Child
Inactive

Hell's Child has a spectacular aura about themHell's Child has a spectacular aura about themHell's Child has a spectacular aura about themHell's Child has a spectacular aura about them

BTW, I forgot to add.... Yes I work for ntl, and i'd like to pass my sincere thanks to everyone who has helped with the upgrade.
Old 02-08-2004, 17:14   #703
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

well i turned my modem off for 5 mins when back on i can d/l at 165kb/sec

pretty good - now alli gotta do is downgrade if the 750 lads are getting 85-90 thast plenty fast and a lot cheaper
Old 02-08-2004, 17:17   #704
eoin.miskell
cf.member

Services: 2 V360 boxes, 350MB BB
eoin.miskell is on a distinguished roadeoin.miskell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to eoin.miskell

I just turned my modem for 10 sec and turned it back on and it now has 1.5Mbit/s (St. Albans, Hertfordshire)
Old 02-08-2004, 17:20   #705
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Upgraded here too but have to say I can't remember seeing anything at work to say this had been actioned as from today
I got an email about it last week Debs.