Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 14:52   #676
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe
Has anyone with the 600k service on a STB been updated yet?
Yep, you have to reboot the STB though
Old 02-08-2004, 14:54   #677
byron_hinson
Inactive

Services: 50 MB Broadband and Phone
byron_hinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to byron_hinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janusian
Postcode checker is working again now

http://www.ntl.com/home/internet/upgrade/checker.asp

Unfortunately Fleet not due to be done until October
Yeah but that tells me my area won't be done til November, yet it's already upgraded.
Old 02-08-2004, 14:54   #678
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMav
I'll reboot tonight when I get home if it comes through I will apologise for calling them asswipes for listing my upgrade as novemeber and call them asswipes for failing to code their postcode checker properly
The mentality of some just has to be seen to be believed.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 02-08-2004, 14:59   #679
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
Lets face it they only have to send a config file down the line to your modem.
What bliss it must be to be so ignorant.

scastle is spot on - we've spent a hell of a lot of time and money getting ready for this, including introducing an entirely new UBR part with higher bandwidth, getting that through testing and deployment where necessary, providing more caching, testing the new speeds against EVERY SINGLE modem type out there, tweaking deployment plans, briefing call centres, swapping out STBs, getting everyone ready for the test and then the live deployment.

This is NOT just sending a new config file down. A lot of people who've spent the last two months mainly awake in the small hours will probably not appreciate being called asswipes.
Old 02-08-2004, 15:00   #680
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
The mentality of some just has to be seen to be believed.
mine was upgraded last week - although promised 'late summer' - it's early/mid summer. impressive stuff. I know if these people are asswipes then I will be wiping my ass with mighty fine high quality ass wipe material.

better than double velvet indeed.
Old 02-08-2004, 15:03   #681
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
What bliss it must be to be so ignorant.

scastle is spot on - we've spent a hell of a lot of time and money getting ready for this, including introducing an entirely new UBR part with higher bandwidth, getting that through testing and deployment where necessary, providing more caching, testing the new speeds against EVERY SINGLE modem type out there, tweaking deployment plans, briefing call centres, swapping out STBs, getting everyone ready for the test and then the live deployment.

This is NOT just sending a new config file down. A lot of people who've spent the last two months mainly awake in the small hours will probably not appreciate being called asswipes.

well id like to give a standing avation to all those involved in the uk wide upgrades, some of us do know that its not as easy as a config file....yes NTL have not capitalised on this yet, but atleast all the planning, the techs at the UBR's and all those connected with this networkwide upgrade seem to have coped excellently, well done all
Old 02-08-2004, 15:17   #682
TheShadow
Inactive

Services: NTL Digital / NTL 3Mbit
TheShadow is an unknown quantity at this point

It says my area is to be upgraded in August, but this is only for SACM users, right?

Are NTL going to upgrade different areas as soon as all STB users in said areas have the new box? Or are they going to do it nationwide?

Sorry for all the questioning, hehe.

Good job to the NTL folks though. This is much harder work than most people realise.
Old 02-08-2004, 15:52   #683
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

guys you cant blame customers for been upset there was no planning ahead from ntl, they announced the upgrades at the same time as telewest and have been made to look like idiots as it has taken them much longer to deliver, I appreciate all those hard working techs out there in making this happen but this has been badly planned from the top, I also refuse to believe ntl have done this for nothing, what you think the £3 a month rise was for on the top tier.
Old 02-08-2004, 15:52   #684
th'engineer
Inactive

Services: up to 30 MEG CF version of Peter Kay
th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to th'engineer
Talking Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Just out of interest has anybody calculated how long you have to be connected and download to exceed the cap per day.
Old 02-08-2004, 15:56   #685
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
guys you cant blame customers for been upset there was no planning ahead from ntl, they announced the upgrades at the same time as telewest and have been made to look like idiots as it has taken them much longer to deliver, I appreciate all those hard working techs out there in making this happen but this has been badly planned from the top, I also refuse to believe ntl have done this for nothing, what you think the £3 a month rise was for on the top tier.
Telewest didn't have half as much work to do as ntl....

So, what do you think ntl did it for then? Aside from the £3 rise (which didn't affect the 150 & 600k users)......
Old 02-08-2004, 15:58   #686
2||Para
Inactive

Services: 20MB BB,Sky TV
2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice

Just walked in from work and gave modem a boot speed test 1502kb.

A pat on the back to the over-worked NTL engineers that got it sorted on schedule.

THANKS
Old 02-08-2004, 16:01   #687
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

if I am right 1.8 hours
Old 02-08-2004, 16:01   #688
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by th'engineer
Just out of interest has anybody calculated how long you have to be connected and download to exceed the cap per day.
Depends on what you are doing!

Most users don't want or need to max out their connection all the time. Yes, you can max it out, but in reality who needs to?
Old 02-08-2004, 16:06   #689
paul211
Inactive

Services: bb 3meg tv
paul211 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello so whens swindon gonna be updated plz if any one knows

sorry if this as been asked before
Old 02-08-2004, 16:07   #690
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

well thats my point, if ntl had more work then you announce it when you can deliver, ntl have more customers but in theory they should also have the extra capability to go with it, smaller networks are harder to provide same scale increases. The £3 rise should have been £1 on each tier especially as the bottom tier got a 100% increase, but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package. If I am not mistaken all telewest customers were upgraded within the month they started, so if its true some people are having to wait until november (3 months after today and 6 months after original announcment) should they still have to pay the same as customers on higher speeds.
Closed Thread