Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL and Telewest webspace upload information

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

Losing emails

Old 29-05-2004, 20:44   #1
davesnapeuk
Inactive

davesnapeuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Losing emails

I am getting really hacked off now with NTL email.
I went onto webmail last night - noticed a few messages and though' I'll read those tomorrow'.

Guess what? Tomorrow comes and they've all disappeared!!

How many more email have I lost that I don't know about???
Spoken to NTL and they tell me that no one has lost any emails. I really wish I'd have taken a screen shot cos they don't believe what the punters are telling them!

This is getting beyond a joke now.

I'm having to chase IBM at the moment because the download link never arrived after an online purchase. Probably another email that just disappeared.
I think I'm just about to find out how hard/easy it is to move from NTL to someone else....
davesnapeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2004, 21:23   #2
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Re: Losing emails

Firstly welcome to the site.
How have you checked for your mail (the 2nd time) AFAIK if you view them online it marks them as read and therefore they will only be available online. Therefore if you are trying to get them via Outlook etc. then it will not retrieve them.

Might be wrong though!
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 21:31   #3
maverick
Inactive

maverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnapeuk
I am getting really hacked off now with NTL email.
I went onto webmail last night - noticed a few messages and though' I'll read those tomorrow'.

Guess what? Tomorrow comes and they've all disappeared!!

How many more email have I lost that I don't know about???
Spoken to NTL and they tell me that no one has lost any emails. I really wish I'd have taken a screen shot cos they don't believe what the punters are telling them!

This is getting beyond a joke now.

I'm having to chase IBM at the moment because the download link never arrived after an online purchase. Probably another email that just disappeared.
I think I'm just about to find out how hard/easy it is to move from NTL to someone else....

I am not saying this is your problem but

There was a mail server problem this morning, a back up mail server has been brought online so historic e.mails stored on the original server will not show untill it is up and running again.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 21:47   #4
Peter_Stanley
Inactive

Services: NTL 1Mb, NTL 250 modem & Linksys router, Sky & BT
Peter_Stanley is an unknown quantity at this point

This does appear to be connected with the mail server problems this morning as Maverick suggests. I had a number of emails that were sent to me this morning, but didn't appear in my mailbox until later this afternoon.

Reading emails using webmail shouldn't affect whether they are downloaded by an email client in my experience.
Peter_Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 22:22   #5
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light

a MSS went down this morning. all historical mails will reappear when this server is brought back online. it was still offline at 4pm when i left work.

hece no-one has lost any mails.
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 23:17   #6
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

does this explain why I am still getting messages that are 10 days or more old?

I have complained twice and heard bugger all from them.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2004, 09:05   #7
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop101
does this explain why I am still getting messages that are 10 days or more old?

I have complained twice and heard bugger all from them.
not sure what that is.

does anyone else have this problem?
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2004, 20:45   #8
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

There we go, just got another one dated 17/05/04 15:56 from this forum about a post in the toothpaste thread by Bex.
FFS get the bloody thing fixed before I really get annoyed.
Old 30-05-2004, 20:50   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
There we go, just got another one dated 17/05/04 15:56 from this forum about a post in the toothpaste thread by Bex.
FFS get the bloody thing fixed before I really get annoyed.
I have had a couple of e-mails from May 17th arrive in my Virgin account yesterday - mail sometimes get delayed - there is not much point in getting worked up about it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2004, 00:23   #10
Graham

I've just spoken on the phone to a friend who I e-mailed a couple of weeks ago but she was sure she'd never received it.

I'm wondering if more mails have gone astray
Old 31-05-2004, 10:28   #11
swoop101
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem
I have had a couple of e-mails from May 17th arrive in my Virgin account yesterday - mail sometimes get delayed - there is not much point in getting worked up about it.
some of us actually get some important messages from people, so sometimes it is worth getting annoyed about.
Old 31-05-2004, 18:47   #12
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I've a few occasions where people are saying NTL are bouncing back my e-mails - just unable to deliver messages. Yet the e-mail address is fine.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2004, 18:50   #13
Graham

Quote:
some of us actually get some important messages from people, so sometimes it is worth getting annoyed about.
Indeed, some of us us e-mails as a major part of their business...!
Old 31-05-2004, 18:58   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
Indeed, some of us us e-mails as a major part of their business...!
Anyone that uses e-mail for business should never rely on the free e-mail provided by an ISP, especially NTL's.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2004, 22:22   #15
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

I've just looked at my ntl email online and there were 18 spams waiting for me since the 26th, yet nothing has appeared when I've used my email client.

I don't know if this is related, but using both OE and Thunderbird, it downloaded one message and then froze, saying that the server had timed out. All my other emails are okay.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote