Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ping times to Hub3 are abysmal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upload woes.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:45   #1
InfiniteBiscuit
cf.member

Services: Full house TV (two V6 boxes), VIVID 200, Talk Weekends.
InfiniteBiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point
Upload woes.

Hello all.

My upload is only 18Mbps on a 350Mbps package.
I have the SuperHub 3.0 in modem mode, and a Linksys router doing all the grunt work for Wi-Fi etc.

Upstream Max Traffic Rate shows: 38500089
But something is just off.

Technical support said they'd push a config file to my router, and reboot it - and to expect an update within 24 hours. But nothing has happened.

Any advice?
InfiniteBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2020, 11:08   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Upload woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBiscuit View Post
Technical support said they'd push a config file to my router, and reboot it - and to expect an update within 24 hours.
The usual twoddle

50% is too much of a coincidence. Have you been able to achieve full speed before? I only ask because Linksys haven't made any new routers for a while now and if your router is a few years old I am wondering if 18mbits is its max.

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 17:07   #3
InfiniteBiscuit
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The usual twoddle

50% is too much of a coincidence. Have you been able to achieve full speed before? I only ask because Linksys haven't made any new routers for a while now and if your router is a few years old I am wondering if 18mbits is its max.

My 350 package pre-dates the upstream increase whenever they did that.
So I've never had above 18Mbps, which is what leads me to believe it's very much a Virgin issue.

I'll scale back the network this evening, and put the SuperHub back into router mode, to see what's achieveable.
Whilst my Linksys router is a couple of years old, I wouldn't expect an upload bottleneck on it - but you never know. I'll get that checked out.

I'll report back once it all goes tits up.
Old 12-09-2020, 17:48   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Dont faff around with your network. Just disconnect your pc from the switch or linksys router it is connected to and directly connect it to the shub (and disconnect the linksys from the shub. You'll need to reboot the shub and when it comes back up your pc will be the only device connected to the shub and i am fairly confident that if you run your speed test you'll get full speed. After that you can then play around with your router and switches by process of elimination to see which one is the culprit.
Old 12-09-2020, 18:43   #5
InfiniteBiscuit
cf.member

Just isolated to the SuperHub & PC.
37Mbps upload.
Connected the Linksys back up. Back to 18Mbps.
We have our culprit.

Time to go router shopping. Ugh.

Cheers for your help.
Old 12-09-2020, 21:12   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Time to go router shopping. Ugh.
Fret not. It may appear to be an inconvenience now but it is a blessing in disguise. I always had Linksys routers up and till a few years ago and I was forced to make the jump when I upgraded because my router maxed out at 200 and something megabits. I switched to Asus because Linksys were no longer a thing and I was very very pleased. I bought the ac68u and amazingly it has held its price for 4 years which speaks volumes about how good it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6...s%2C158&sr=8-3

Alternatively you can look at the 86u for a few pounds more but before you splash the cash I would take a look at all the devices on your lan and their wireless capabilities and ask yourself if you would truly benefit from increased wifi speed (bearing in mind you are capped at 350mbits on the wan side anyway)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC8...XVATBB2VY&th=1

Whatever you decide, I can't emphasise enough how good Asus routers are and should be your choice going forward. When you have got a network as your described with switches, many wired devices as well as all sorts of wireless devices (phones, laptops, tablets etc) you want a router that is happy to handle all of that and do it without breaking a sweat. I have got all that plus networked Sky boxes, tv's and two NAS' and my Asus router has never ever had a single problem with it. I defo wouldn't trust the shub with all of that. It has just fainted listening to me talk about it
Old 13-09-2020, 14:15   #7
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

I purchased the ASUS RT-AC88U. The reason being it had 8 network ports which suited my needs. The stock firmware is easy to use and has lots of features. Wireless is pretty good and a lot better than the SH3.
My only reservation is the turning on of the A.I protection by Trend Micro. It’s collecting lots of data and sending it to the Trend Micro servers. It doesn’t say what information it’s collecting.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 17:39   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
I purchased the ASUS RT-AC88U. The reason being it had 8 network ports which suited my needs.
Good call, another minor price increase over the previous model mentioned but well worth it. Not only have you got another step up in wifi performance but the 8 port switch is worth it in itself. If was buying a new router now i would be seriously looking at the ac88u. I'll check out the wan to lan throughputs later for comparison.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019MKO4..._zXJxFbPF2MFRG
Old 14-09-2020, 07:38   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Good call, another minor price increase over the previous model mentioned but well worth it. Not only have you got another step up in wifi performance but the 8 port switch is worth it in itself. If was buying a new router now i would be seriously looking at the ac88u. I'll check out the wan to lan throughputs later for comparison.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019MKO4..._zXJxFbPF2MFRG
Your router choice depends on your future plans. I dumped my RT-AC88U for something with a faster WAN-LAN throughput, because I had upgraded to VM's 1Gb service. The AC88U pegged me back to 700Mb. The WiFi is really good and it did a good job as a media server, so if you don't plan to go above the 350Mb or 500Mb product it would be perfect.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 20:38   #10
InfiniteBiscuit
cf.member

Thanks for the router suggestions all.

Strangely enough, my Xbox is the only device that's seemingly getting 37Mbps upload through the Linksys router. I'm wondering if I've buggered my own network with device prioritisation rules. I'm going to mess about with it.

UPDATE: Changed my device prioritistion settings, and I have my full upload available now!
What a donut.

Last edited by InfiniteBiscuit; 14-09-2020 at 21:00.
Old 14-09-2020, 21:04   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
What a donut.
you said it