Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 08-10-2018, 15:39   #766
OLD BOY
Experience is everything

Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: What have you fixed lately?

I don't fix things, I just break them occasionally. Those are jobs for the tradesmen, to whom I am absolutely indebted.

Mind you, they are all the richer for having me on their patch!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2018, 21:24   #767
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, Phone, 100Meg Broadband
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

My motorbike

Fitted new clutch and brake levers, battery box , rear mudguard, speedo cable and complete rear braking system.

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 18:59   #768
OLD BOY
Experience is everything

Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoSymz View Post
My motorbike

Fitted new clutch and brake levers, battery box , rear mudguard, speedo cable and complete rear braking system.
The wife hasn't seen much of you lately, then? I hope you washed the bath after you!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 20:06   #769
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I replaced the OSB3 shelving in a garden cupboard, It all got wet after a roof leak and distorted to heck. The new roof will be sealed with fibreglass this time....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 22:45   #770
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Bluetooth/Sync on my wife’s Fiesta
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 10:50   #771
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 70M SHUB thingy in modem mode XL TV VboxHD Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars

Dehumidifier: Came from my mum's place. Fan stopped working. Tried some oil but it was still too stiff to run properly.

Took out the motor and dismantled it: Loads of black crap inside and the armature had far too much end-float and was fouling the casing.

I guess whatever was used to control that had broken up and got ground down.

Thorough clean of bearings and armature in white spirit, added sufficient plain steel washers at each end to set the end-float to about a mm or so. Lubricated with graphited grease. Works a treat now.
Old 22-10-2018, 07:32   #772
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Water leaking out of fridge onto floor, so turned off the electrics, pushed a plastic straw up and down drainage channel and poured very hot water down, did the trick.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 22:55   #773
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronze
nashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronzenashville is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Water leaking out of fridge onto floor, so turned off the electrics, pushed a plastic straw up and down drainage channel and poured very hot water down, did the trick.
Thanks for the tip my fridge was doing the same thing, I really do not like this drawer kind as my last one was shelfs ,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 09:58   #774
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has reached the bronze age
Dude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze age
A good fridge tip

Congrats everyone!!!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 19:46   #775
richard s
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoSymz View Post
My motorbike

What bike have you got CycoSymz.
Old 27-10-2018, 14:28   #776
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 70M SHUB thingy in modem mode XL TV VboxHD Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars

Bedside digital alarm clock: Hour set button not working.

Dismantled the unit. The "click domes" that back the buttons are secured in place with sellotape like stuff, peeled it off with the domes. Cleaned the PCB with some Brasso and applied contact cleaner. Re-assembled with fresh tape.

Works fine now ready for tonight's hour change.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:25   #777
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Kitchen cupboard doors: 3 of them wont stay open but don't shut properly. It's a spring-loaded thingy in the hinge housed in a small plastic moulding which splits and gets misplaced over time. Simplest fix is to take the faulty hinge off, disassemble it by removing a "U" shaped pin and remove the offending parts, then re-assembling them.

Doors now operate properly, just not as positive as they should be but still OK.

Saves buying new hinges at the extortionate price they are.
Old 11-11-2018, 13:58   #778
Hom3r
Proud Ex EU Citizen.

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6 Tivo, 2x1TB Tivo, , SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 8, 2TB & 3 TB WD NAS, Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy To
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Hve you tried Youtube to try and get them purfect?
Old 16-11-2018, 13:29   #779
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has reached the bronze age
Dude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze ageDude111 has reached the bronze age
I last fixed the 8 track I just got (Barry Manilow II)

Thankfully she opened w/o a problem...... Most cartridges do not!!

The tape came apart where it was spliced together (Looked like it wasnt done well) -- I took some masking tape and taped the two pieces together. (The foil was still there so I just left it in place (The foil is good))

I put the masking tape on the backside of the tape leaving the foil so it can be sensed....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 11:03   #780
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

My favourite pair of jeans. (Low rise, skinny) Worn through in the crotch area so I used some heat bonded mending tape. Good as new.

I'll need some new ones but it's so difficult to get ones I like the fit of on me. These are size 12.