Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:02   #1456
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Actually, Arthur, you will be eligible to claim all of the tax back on your pension.

State Pension will be £148 per week (x 52) = £7696 per year, plus your pension of £720 per year, is less than the £10,600 annual tax allowance.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2015, 12:12   #1457
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
ahh its all clear now
your not on your own worrying what your going to live on in retirement ,you go from a good wage down to a pittance of an income and the cost of every day living is so expensive .
I believe Arthur has never been on a good wage going by earlier posts.

Obviously if on a 'good wage' going down to a pittance of an income shouldn't be a problem as ideally you'd have saved some of that good wage to ensure your income isn't a pittance.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 15:14   #1458
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As I said, we are talking about one sixtieth of annual planned expenditure. Further, I think it vanishingly unlikely that they will achieve that cut by axing any one thing. More likely it will be some here, some there.

They aren't going to allow the opposition to turn the election into a referendum on one very small part of their planned programme for the next five years. Those details will not be forthcoming, no matter how many times they are asked.
I agree, they won't be divulging this information until after the General Election and then only if they win.

I think that for the majority of the electorate, the bigger picture means little to them. Political ideology takes second place to the important things that affect people personally.

New local councillors soon find that the electorate are far more concerned about their bins not being emptied than some declaration of support for a far away country fighting an oppressive regime.

This is why I think it's unwise of them to now start chipping away at "middle class" benefits as the middle classes are now suffering too and they are a very important part of the population vote wise:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2309902.html

I'm please to see this as it was a concern of mine:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2309902.html
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 15:26   #1459
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Those with heads not in contact with colons nursing severe persecution complexes consider the Tories to be, if anything, pandering to retirees as they tend to vote Tory and vote in large numbers.

Current and soon to be pensioners are likely to have it about as good as it'll get. My generation will have to work for longer to pay for retirement and are likely to have far less state support.

Sadly these things have to be paid for, and paid for, for the most part, by those who are of working age.
Things which simply prove that statements like "my vote makes no difference / they're all the same / they're all as bad as each other" are also uttered by people with chronic cranial blockage of the lower colon.

The policies of at least one of this country's major political parties are being shaped by the views of those who have a vote and plan to use it. That's called democracy. The solution, for the social meedja generation who are on the receiving end of this, is to stop listening to idiots like Russell Brand, and start using their right to vote.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:41   #1460
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The policies of at least one of this country's major political parties are being shaped by the views of those who have a vote and plan to use it. That's called democracy. The solution, for the social meedja generation who are on the receiving end of this, is to stop listening to idiots like Russell Brand, and start using their right to vote.
I agree with Chris. Pay per view event.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:15   #1461
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Lie down in a darkened room for an hour ... it'll pass.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 18:19   #1462
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Well, if Cameron stopped overseas aid. Which he is so proud of. Can you imagine how many GPs, Drs, Nurses, Teachers he could supply for this country.

I read the other day, that if he gets back in, he plans to DOUBLE aid, to countries that need it.

Most of this aid will go onto the black market, and useless projects that this country wont benefit from.

Pensioners in this country, are treated so poorly. That is a disgrace
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 18:22   #1463
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Pensioners as a rule Arthur have never had it so good.
Old 07-04-2015, 18:28   #1464
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I believe Arthur has never been on a good wage going by earlier posts.

Obviously if on a 'good wage' going down to a pittance of an income shouldn't be a problem as ideally you'd have saved some of that good wage to ensure your income isn't a pittance.
i have 3 company pension plans and a state pension to look forward to but it still wont compare to what i get now .
Old 07-04-2015, 18:34   #1465
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i have 3 company pension plans and a state pension to look forward to but it still wont compare to what i get now .
Shhhh... people will think you're on benefits! lol

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 18:35   #1466
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Lets put it this way. I take home approx. 1200 Per month, l measly pension of 60 quid. When l retire l will have one works pension of about 40 quid per month - compared to now. I might as well find another job after 65.

It just doesn't work out. And l would rather starve then go to a food bank
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 18:36   #1467
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

This kind of thing really gets my goat.

She says she can't work because she has sleep apnoea (which I believe as you can't fake it and not to put too fine a point on it, people of her size are very susceptible to the condition) which makes her fall asleep during the day. NEWSFLASH - I have had sleep apnoea since my early 20s yet still work. I just deal with it and with 4 kids to contribute towards I don't have the luxury of getting benefits. Apnoea means without my treatment I stop breathing 58 times an hour on average whilst asleep. I hate to comment on someone's weight as there could be any number of reasons behind it but she needs to get off her fat arse and either get a job or think up a better excuse as to why she doesn't have one.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-stone-5472136

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 18:49   #1468
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

She says she can't work because she has sleep apnoea (which I believe as you can't fake it and not to put too fine a point on it, people of her size are very susceptible to the condition) which makes her fall asleep during the day. NEWSFLASH - I have had sleep apnoea since my early 20s yet still work. I just deal with it and with 4 kids to contribute towards I don't have the luxury of getting benefits. Apnoea means without my treatment I stop breathing 58 times an hour on average whilst asleep. I hate to comment on someone's weight as there could be any number of reasons behind it but she needs to get off her fat arse and either get a job or think up a better excuse as to why she doesn't have one.

i bet she votes labour
Old 07-04-2015, 18:50   #1469
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

She has simply made the decision not to work and sit around getting fatter, the only consolation is that she is shortening the burden on the taxpayer. Whilst having sleep apnoea can be very dangerous there are many people suffering who lead a fairly normal life. I have had a few work colleagues suffering, one was telling me only last week that he is a sufferer and needs to wear a mask. Apart from carrying a bit of extra weight and admitting that it contributes to the problem his life is fairly normal and it doesn't mean he is confined to the settee watching Jeremy Kyle.
Old 07-04-2015, 19:28   #1470
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=papa smurf;35770038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
You not allowed to work anymore if you get the state pension or something?[COLOR="Silver"]

i had no idea you could work and claim your pension and it seems get some benefits
Up to press, the State Retirement Pension is not means tested. It is not affected by capital or any other money coming in (including wages) apart from income tax (as it is a taxable benefit).

People may be getting confused because, many years ago, for the first five years after their official retirement age, if a pensioner earned above a given amount money was taken away from their pension until such a point that the pension was completely extinguished.

The most convenient figures that I have to hand are for 1977:

The first £40 of wages was disregarded, then 5p for every 10p earned was taken from the pension until earnings reached £44. After £44, 10p for every 10p of earnings was subtracted from pension entitlement.

The Government of the day abolished these rules as it was deemed unfair to partially means test something that people had paid into during their working life and to encourage more people to work longer in order to help the economy. IIRC, this measure was also something to do with anti age discrimination law.

There is also a scheme that the last Government introduced whereas a pensioner can defer taking their State Retirement Pension in return for receiving more pension when they do decide to take it.

Anybody thinking of doing this should bear in mind that the current Government has made this option less attractive for men born after 6/4/51 and women born after 6/4/53.

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-p...at-you-may-get

There are different rules for the means tested top up scheme called Pension Credit.

The Winter Fuel Allowance is based mainly on age alone* and isn't means tested or taxable either. The age at which one becomes eligible for it varies as the increased retirement ages are phased in.

* From this winter, pensioners who live abroad in countries considered to be 'warm' are now excluded from receiving any more Winter Fuel Payments.

This has proved controversial as some say that they don't need it, so shouldn't get it. Others argue that if they have paid into the system whilst working in the UK, they should receive it in line with pensioners who choose to take their retirement in the UK.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote