Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New VM carriage dispute regarding up to 30 channels.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New VM carriage dispute regarding up to 30 channels.

Old 30-08-2019, 08:38   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
New VM carriage dispute regarding up to 30 channels.

https://www.seenit.co.uk/viacom-warn...-virgin-media/

Last edited by Paul M; 31-08-2019 at 19:54. Reason: Updated Link
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2019, 08:46   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: New VM carriage dispute regarding up to 30 channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I counted 20 channels in that list. The others must be +1 and separate HD channels.

It doesn't bother me personally as I no longer watch any of these channels any more. I think there might be rather less outrage about this than there was about the UKTV channels.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:51   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well no links on this yet but if it is true then perhaps Viacom are sabre rattling.
Old 30-08-2019, 08:58   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well no links on this yet but if it is true then perhaps Viacom are sabre rattling.
I wondered that, but it is a bit last minute to do this. Frankly, apart from the children's channels, I can't see these channels being missed by many. The programmes on 5Select, 5Spike, 5USA and 5STAR are not exactly good quality except those programmes that have been on before and remain in standard definition.
Old 30-08-2019, 09:00   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I wondered that, but it is a bit last minute to do this. Frankly, apart from the children's channels, I can't see these channels being missed by many. The programmes on 5Select, 5Spike, 5USA and 5STAR are not exactly good quality except those programmes that have been on before and remain in standard definition.
Well come sometime today we might get some media coverage on this story so then one is likely to know more then.
Old 30-08-2019, 09:09   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well come sometime today we might get some media coverage on this story so then one is likely to know more then.
They are certainly keeping this away from the media at this stage - no reports anywhere yet that I can find. The Viacom announcement on their own website seems to be geared towards those who have already got wind of the story.
Old 30-08-2019, 09:11   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They are certainly keeping this away from the media at this stage - no reports anywhere yet that I can find. The Viacom announcement on their own website seems to be geared towards those who have already got wind of the story.
You are right there is nothing anywhere thus so far..
Old 30-08-2019, 09:22   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I don't think Viacom have the same leverage as UKTV did, the UK public (in my opinion) aren't really attached to their brands the same way. Most of the Viacom channels that appeal to the widest demographic are Free-To-Air and are mostly repeats. And they can't withdraw Channel 5 (certainly the SD one) as they are obligated due to its PSB status.

I was stacking newer Suits as they'd stopped their daily rerun from the start after S3 ended. But I was thinking of getting a Netflix sub for a couple of months (binge and cancel), so I could just watch it via that.

If I decide to watch anything I'll just hook up my Freeview recorder to the Main Transmitter aeriel, rather then the Relay (different rooms are serviced differently if you were wondering), or watch live on the main TV's DTT tuner. Or just use My5 on my Roku.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:22   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It's was always going to happen you don't believe only Sky are the ones to barter on price do you ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:24   #10
denphone
Still alive and fighting

The last deal Virgin and Viacom signed was in 2016.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016...sign-new-deal/
Old 30-08-2019, 10:18   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

If this happens, just load the My5 app on to the Tivo or your Smart TV - this will give you access to some/most of the channels.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 10:37   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
If this happens, just load the My5 app on to the Tivo or your Smart TV - this will give you access to some/most of the channels.
The My5 app might be removed from TiVo though, if it forms part of the carriage contract.
Old 30-08-2019, 10:39   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Here is the first link that has just come through although it seems they lifted it from the Viacom site.

https://www.seenit.co.uk/viacom-warn...-virgin-media/

Quote:
The broadcaster has warned viewers that “30 of your favourite TV channels will no longer be available to you as a cable TV subscriber from midnight on 31st August when our current deal with Virgin Media comes to an end.”
Old 30-08-2019, 10:48   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The last deal Virgin and Viacom signed was in 2016.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016...sign-new-deal/
Don't companies talk such BS. 2016 "Our customers will continue to enjoy the best TV"...corporate waffle continues..

Less that three years later, they don't think the channels are worth it!

If the agreement was made in October 2016, It was an unusual contract length to end tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I don't think Viacom have the same leverage as UKTV did, the UK public (in my opinion) aren't really attached to their brands the same way. Most of the Viacom channels that appeal to the widest demographic are Free-To-Air and are mostly repeats. And they can't withdraw Channel 5 (certainly the SD one) as they are obligated due to its PSB status.

I was stacking newer Suits as they'd stopped their daily rerun from the start after S3 ended. But I was thinking of getting a Netflix sub for a couple of months (binge and cancel), so I could just watch it via that.

If I decide to watch anything I'll just hook up my Freeview recorder to the Main Transmitter aeriel, rather then the Relay (different rooms are serviced differently if you were wondering), or watch live on the main TV's DTT tuner. Or just use My5 on my Roku.
I agree. Their most recent spin offs seem to just show the same content so as to acquire more advertising minutage and the music channels appear to be in terminal decline.

Channel 5 SD is a bit of an oddity. In theory they aren't allowed to withdraw this as it's covered by the cable franchise 'must carry' rules. However, as was the case with the ITV dispute, the Government muddied the waters by allowing retransmission fees.

If Channel 5 attempt to withdraw Channel 5 SD, I expect VM will source an unauthorised feed from satellite to pipe through their system. There defence would be that they are obliged to carry this particular channel.

Who knows, retransmission fees could well be the sticking point in their negotiations.
Old 30-08-2019, 11:12   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Does anyone actually still watch MTV ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote