Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2019, 10:23   #6151
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

There are TV channels that operate with a far lower budget then ITV. Literally every single one that isn't run by the BBC.

I agree content costs money, the rest of it is too small to be relevant. ITV, and others can and will maintain a presence even when they are primarily streaming.

I don't know why you ask "can't you see?" the answer is emphatically no. Because your argument has no sound basis in economics.

Last edited by jfman; 22-08-2019 at 10:26.
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2019, 11:26   #6152
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I dunno, a basic grasp of economics?
Maybe you should expand on that argument, particularly given that this mantra of yours contradicts what the industry itself believes will happen.

In fact, I've been using the economic arguments for some time to add to my case that the streamers will take over from the scheduled channels.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

[QUOTE=jfman;36007022]There are TV channels that operate with a far lower budget then ITV. Literally every single one that isn't run by the BBC.

I agree content costs money, the rest of it is too small to be relevant. ITV, and others can and will maintain a presence even when they are primarily streaming.

I don't know why you ask "can't you see?" the answer is emphatically no. Because your argument has no sound basis in economics.[/QUOTE]

So it is economic to run channels at a loss? Was it the LSE you went to, jfman, or was it the Diane Abbot School of Economics?
Old 22-08-2019, 11:44   #6153
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Why should we pay for Britbox when that content is currently available free of charge? You can record things you like and watch them whenever you want (even when the broadband is playing up) which for lots of people is far less messing about than streaming.

Is it right that the BBC proposes to make content exclusively for the paid for Britbox service when we are paying a licence fee to cover its 'free' channels?
Old 22-08-2019, 11:47   #6154
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Why should we pay for Britbox when that content is currently available free of charge? You can record things you like and watch them whenever you want (even when the broadband is playing up) which for lots of people is far less messing about than streaming.

Is it right that the BBC proposes to make content exclusively for the paid for Britbox service when we are paying a licence fee to cover its 'free' channels?
Britbox will turn out to be a totally damp squib as it will arrive to a great fanfare and then disappear about a year or two later.
Old 22-08-2019, 11:51   #6155
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Nobody is forcing anyone to subscribe to Britbox. Continue to watch what you want if and when it is scheduled on 'normal' tv if you want to, that is fine for the time being.

In the future, the licence fee will be scrapped and you will be able to access Britbox UK by using that saving to subscribe to the streamer. Or use it somewhere else if that is your preference.

I don't know where you get the idea that you can watch what you want on scheduled tv. If I wanted to watch 'The Bodyguard' right now, how would I do that on scheduled tv? Pray tell, because it totallly eludes me!
Old 22-08-2019, 12:17   #6156
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

If a series link is set, it will suddenly appear as a pleasant surprise next time it is repeated.
Old 22-08-2019, 13:32   #6157
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Britbox will turn out to be a totally damp squib as it will arrive to a great fanfare and then disappear about a year or two later.
Regarding Britbox i'm a bit surprised that they didn't try to get channel 4 and channel 5 onboard too.
Old 22-08-2019, 13:40   #6158
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

[QUOTE=OLD BOY;36007029]Maybe you should expand on that argument, particularly given that this mantra of yours contradicts what the industry itself believes will happen.

In fact, I've been using the economic arguments for some time to add to my case that the streamers will take over from the scheduled channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There are TV channels that operate with a far lower budget then ITV. Literally every single one that isn't run by the BBC.

I don't know why you ask "can't you see?" the answer is emphatically no. Because your argument has no sound basis in economics.[/QUOTE]

So it is economic to run channels at a loss? Was it the LSE you went to, jfman, or was it the Diane Abbot School of Economics?
You haven't demonstrated that it won't be viable for major content owners - who will be streaming - to maintain a linear presence.

Channels are viable with small tens of thousands of viewers such is the low cost of broadcast television.
Old 22-08-2019, 14:31   #6159
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If a series link is set, it will suddenly appear as a pleasant surprise next time it is repeated.
Not there and then, though which was my point. And there is no guarantee it will be repeated anyway.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Quote:
No, it won't be a damp squib at all. There will be original content on there that isn't available anywhere else, as well as tons of archive material, some of which is currently on Gold, Aibi and the like. You were one of the people who chastised me for saying that the UKTV channels were poor value because most of their material was repeats. You said that there were many people who loved watching programmes over and over. You can't have it both ways.

People will take Britbox for both the original material and for the archive material. Look how popular the i-Player has become.

By the way, this is what will replace the main terrestrial channels and, I believe, the i-Player and ITV Hub in the fullness of time.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Regarding Britbox i'm a bit surprised that they didn't try to get channel 4 and channel 5 onboard too.
They have been in discussions with Channel 4 and it may well be they will get on board soon. Not sure about whether Chanel 5 will join the club - it would be a neat solution if they did.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

[QUOTE=jfman;36007062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe you should expand on that argument, particularly given that this mantra of yours contradicts what the industry itself believes will happen.

You haven't demonstrated that it won't be viable for major content owners - who will be streaming - to maintain a linear presence.

Channels are viable with small tens of thousands of viewers such is the low cost of broadcast television.
Yes, if they show old or rubbish content. Why would the popular channels incur unecessary expense by getting expensive rights to air on a pay tv channel when they need only load up to a streamer?

You're the economist, you tell me.
Old 22-08-2019, 14:38   #6160
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

No, it won't be a damp squib at all. There will be original content on there that isn't available anywhere else, as well as tons of archive material, some of which is currently on Gold, Aibi and the like. You were one of the people who chastised me for saying that the UKTV channels were poor value because most of their material was repeats. You said that there were many people who loved watching programmes over and over. You can't have it both ways.
1/ The reason Britbox will fail is one the streaming market is already too deeply concentrated with other streaming services.

2/ How many streaming services do you think people can afford? as there is only so much money that swirls around in people pockets and Britbox is a little pygmy in the land of giants.

3/ People are already paying for much of the content that will be on Britbox.

And there are several other reasons beside.

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Quote:

People will take Britbox for both the original material and for the archive material. Look how popular the i-Player has become.

Britbox is no i-Player and has had to change its remit to try to survive in the competitive streaming world.

Last edited by denphone; 22-08-2019 at 14:41.
Old 22-08-2019, 14:39   #6161
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
1/ The reason Britbox will fail is one the streaming market is already too deeply concentrated with other streaming services.

2/ How many streaming services do you think people can afford? as there is only so much money that swirls around in people pockets and Britbox is a little pygmy in the land of giants.

3/ People are already paying for much of the content that will be on Britbox.

And there are several other reasons beside.
I guess we will soon see, eh, Den? I dare say there are plenty of people around who would get the Britbox streamer rather than one of the US streamers. I am often astounded by those people who have an aversion to US material, but there are plenty of them out there.
Old 22-08-2019, 14:42   #6162
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

By the way, this is what will replace the main terrestrial channels and, I believe, the i-Player and ITV Hub in the fullness of time.[COLOR="Silver"]
The terrestrial channels will be there long into the future but of course that does not suit your narrative..

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Quote:
I guess we will soon see, eh, Den? I dare say there are plenty of people around who would get the Britbox streamer rather than one of the US streamers. I am often astounded by those people who have an aversion to US material, but there are plenty of them out there.
l have no aversion to content wherever it comes from as long as its decent content at a reasonable price..
Old 22-08-2019, 14:52   #6163
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The terrestrial channels will be there long into the future but of course that does not suit your narrative .
That's not what the TV industry is planning for, Den. Still, I guess you know best...
Old 22-08-2019, 15:01   #6164
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Yes, if they show old or rubbish content. Why would the popular channels incur unecessary expense by getting expensive rights to air on a pay tv channel when they need only load up to a streamer?

You're the economist, you tell me.
Why would a company who does streaming and linear have to pay for rights twice?

I'm unsure if you are deliberately misrepresenting points or whether you are genuinely incapable of understanding them.

Last edited by jfman; 22-08-2019 at 15:29.
Old 22-08-2019, 15:01   #6165
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
That's not what the TV industry is planning for, Den. Still, I guess you know best...
According to you its you who knows everything and nobody else knows nothing...