Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 23-01-2008, 10:06   #436
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: What are you reading?

Good for you. Nice book.

Mind you it's been a fair few years since I read it. I recently git starship troopers and Starman Jones in audiobook.

The starship troopers is much better than the film.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2008, 10:19   #437
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 10:20   #438
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I've still got to listen to that..... Or get a large print one

MMMmmm choices choices lol
Old 23-01-2008, 15:36   #439
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The Ecolitan Operation and The Ecologic Succession by L.E.Modesitt, Jr.

A sort of cross between space opera hero and ecological freedom fighter.
Old 23-01-2008, 15:51   #440
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I just stared listening to 'we can remember it for you wholesale'

Now trawling through audiobooks to see what I fancy listening to next.
Old 23-01-2008, 17:18   #441
spike7451
Inactive

Services: Sky+/BT Home hub,phone & fusion mobile.
spike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished "3 Para" which was a very good read but also disturbing as well & now re-reading "Picking up the Brass" by Convoy C**k & The Rigger which is a fictionalised account of one lad doing Basic Army training in the mid 80's.Ironic thing is I can relate to a hell of a lot in the book!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/19...10#reader-link
spike7451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 19:04   #442
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

Heroes - Nigel Cawthorne
Its the stories behind The Victoria Cross Winners since WWII

Just finished sniper one - Dan Mills, was a really good read
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 20:39   #443
tweetypie/8
Permanently Banned

Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
tweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Ok, in the hope of something slightly more cerebral than "what are you using to destroy your braincells", here's a thread for discussing what you're using to *inspire* them instead!

So what are you reading at the moment? And what's good/ bad/ worth recommending/ worth avoiding about it?

For me it's currently "The Truth" by Terry Pratchett.

A story from the Discworld, Pratchett takes another of his hilarious satirical side-swipes at the lunacies of this world (helped, no doubt, by his experiences of working as a journalist before he started writing fiction).

As usual his plots and characterisations are spot on, the writing is excellent, humorous without being forced, touching without being sentimental and his observations are sharp and witty without being laboured.

If you've ever read Discworld and enjoyed it, you'll love this one, if you haven't, it's a good place to start because you don't really need to have read the earlier stories to understand the background.

Definitely recommended!
james pattersons jack and jill a fast paced read
tweetypie/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 20:51   #444
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetypie/8 View Post
james pattersons jack and jill a fast paced read
The butler did it
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 21:06   #445
homealone

I'm re-reading quite an old fantasy series, namely Julian May's 'Saga of the Exiles' trilogy, I'm just near the end of the first volume 'The Many-Coloured Land' & have been surprised how much I've enjoyed it, so far
Old 23-01-2008, 21:08   #446
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Soon by Jerry Jenkins

A futurist Earth where religion is banned after it is blamed for the outbreak of WW3.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 21:31   #447
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
I'm re-reading quite an old fantasy series, namely Julian May's 'Saga of the Exiles' trilogy, I'm just near the end of the first volume 'The Many-Coloured Land' & have been surprised how much I've enjoyed it, so far
I managed the first Julian May but found it such a chore I've never returned to him.I can't put my finger on why he doesn't appeal because he apparently writes the sort of fiction I like.
Old 23-01-2008, 23:19   #448
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
I managed the first Julian May but found it such a chore I've never returned to him.I can't put my finger on why he doesn't appeal because he apparently writes the sort of fiction I like.
Julian May is female

The follow on books seem to have a better pace and later works are much better.

Reading the revised version of The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Book 1) by Stephen King. Somewhat reminiscent of David Gemmel's Jerusalem Man crossed with a Spaghetti Western.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 23:27   #449
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Julian May is female

The follow on books seem to have a better pace and later works are much better.

Reading the revised version of The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Book 1) by Stephen King. Somewhat reminiscent of David Gemmel's Jerusalem Man crossed with a Spaghetti Western.
Perhaps that's the reason.
Old 24-01-2008, 00:16   #450
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

just finished "The Righteous Men" by Sam Bourne... was good alot better then say Da Vinci Code or even Angels and demons...

similar kind of story but I think better researched and brought over.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote