Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 01-03-2007, 19:34   #271
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: What are you reading?

King Rat by China Mieville.
Old 01-03-2007, 19:38   #272
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Hopefully i will be reading "Unweaving the rainbow" by Richard Dawkins soon enough, anyone here read it?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:11   #273
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

IT - Stephen king...
37 cassettes apparently. Should take a while
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:19   #274
tick
Inactive

Services: ntl phone & tv broadband sky box
tick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud of

Stephen king
Heart in Atlantis.
Have liked all his books so far
tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:20   #275
concepttwenty20
Inactive

concepttwenty20 is an unknown quantity at this point

breaking open the head - daniel pinchbeck
concepttwenty20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:21   #276
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My personal best is the unabridged 'The Stand'

Not got it on talking book yet though.
Old 01-03-2007, 20:26   #277
tick
Inactive

Services: ntl phone & tv broadband sky box
tick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud of

Have just re read that .
Was as good this time as the last
tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:38   #278
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick View Post
Have just re read that .
Was as good this time as the last
Yup I'd love to 'read' it again, the trouble is that with something the length of that (and lets be honest most of his books it becomes prohibitive to record onto tape. As it's so expensive to sell it.

Ah well - they did 'IT' maybe they'll do that.
Old 01-03-2007, 20:43   #279
Womble
Inactive

Services: 20meg BB SACM : All the Channels and phone
Womble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of Quads

Just finished "Grass". Very well written, and well worth a read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grass-Mainst.../dp/1840188928
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 21:10   #280
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I'm currently reading:

It was to be one of the most ambitious operations since 617 Squadron bounced their revolutionary bombs into the dams of the Ruhr Valley in 1943 . . .

When Argentine forces invaded the Falklands in the early hours of 2 April 1982, Britain’s military chiefs were faced with a real-life Mission Impossible.Its opening shot, they decided, would be Operation BLACK BUCK: to strike a body blow at the occupying army, and make them realize that nothing was safe – not even Buenos Aires . . .
Old 01-03-2007, 21:52   #281
dragondottie
Inactive

dragondottie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you don't mind me joining in, really enjoyed reading this thread, also to see some of my favourite authors being mentioned.....I'm an avid Sci-Fi and Fantasy fan...but have read over the years all sorts of books........anybody ever read Stranger in a Strange Land, think that was Heinlein, not so sure now, how about The Synthetic Man by Theodore Sturgeon...I loved that, it was also published under the title of The Dreaming Jewels...it was a really good story...the jewels were little alien creatures who liked to dream and when they did, they created something beautiful, if they dreamed near a tree, they copied the tree, that was fine, then a rather nasty character found out about these little creatures and caught some and started torturing them........and the story starts to get more complicated, loads of twist and turns, lots of strange characters in it, as it takes place in a carnival traveling around America, one of my favourite authors now is Robin Hobb....The Farseer Trilogy, The Tawny Man all six books follow on...The Madship Traders is set in the same land, but a different story, but all these three trilogies I can really recommend....The first..The Farseer Trilogy is about a little boy called Fitz with an ability to communicate with animals, which is looked on as evil, and if found out he will be executed, he is of royal blood of the house of Farseer, and is taken in by them and brought up by one of them and trained to be an assassin.....and so on...all sorts happen in it, dragons, war, a lovely character called Nighteyes who's a wolf, and Fitz's companionship with this animal and also loads of royal intrigue, these books are well worth reading....The Madship Traders, is brilliant......a very unusual story that will never bore you, right through the three books, I didn't want it to come to an end, so I read all of them again, and I won't part with them
dragondottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 22:27   #282
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondottie View Post
Hope you don't mind me joining in, really enjoyed reading this thread, also to see some of my favourite authors being mentioned.....I'm an avid Sci-Fi and Fantasy fan...but have read over the years all sorts of books........anybody ever read Stranger in a Strange Land, think that was Heinlein, not so sure now, how about The Synthetic Man by Theodore Sturgeon...I loved that, it was also published under the title of The Dreaming Jewels...it was a really good story...the jewels were little alien creatures who liked to dream and when they did, they created something beautiful, if they dreamed near a tree, they copied the tree, that was fine, then a rather nasty character found out about these little creatures and caught some and started torturing them........and the story starts to get more complicated, loads of twist and turns, lots of strange characters in it, as it takes place in a carnival traveling around America, one of my favourite authors now is Robin Hobb....The Farseer Trilogy, The Tawny Man all six books follow on...The Madship Traders is set in the same land, but a different story, but all these three trilogies I can really recommend....The first..The Farseer Trilogy is about a little boy called Fitz with an ability to communicate with animals, which is looked on as evil, and if found out he will be executed, he is of royal blood of the house of Farseer, and is taken in by them and brought up by one of them and trained to be an assassin.....and so on...all sorts happen in it, dragons, war, a lovely character called Nighteyes who's a wolf, and Fitz's companionship with this animal and also loads of royal intrigue, these books are well worth reading....The Madship Traders, is brilliant......a very unusual story that will never bore you, right through the three books, I didn't want it to come to an end, so I read all of them again, and I won't part with them
'mind' you joining in, any forum wouldn't survive if people didn't - so thanks

Stranger in a Strange Land is Heinlein, yes, but while he had many good ideas, I was never quite happy with the portrayal of women in his books - not as blatant as John Norman, but still there, in my opinion???

I'm more a sci-fi fan, than 'fantasy', for want of a better word, although I loved the Julian May 'Saga of the Exiles'

- which brings me to my final point, which isn't aimed at you in any way, but I got seriously put off by the proliferation of trilogies and more in Sci-Fi /Fantasy writing, so don't read as much as I used to
Old 01-03-2007, 22:41   #283
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
'mind' you joining in, any forum wouldn't survive if people didn't - so thanks

Stranger in a Strange Land is Heinlein, yes, but while he had many good ideas, I was never quite happy with the portrayal of women in his books - not as blatant as John Norman, but still there, in my opinion???

I'm more a sci-fi fan, than 'fantasy', for want of a better word, although I loved the Julian May 'Saga of the Exiles'

- which brings me to my final point, which isn't aimed at you in any way, but I got seriously put off by the proliferation of trilogies and more in Sci-Fi /Fantasy writing, so don't read as much as I used to
Know what you mean Gaz. Just finished reading Maelstrom by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (book 2 of the Petabey series) wonderfully written but got to the end only to find the story far from finished.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 22:49   #284
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

David Hall biography of Fred Dibnah
Dipping in:
Clive Aslet - Landmarks of Britain
Nigel Rees - 6000 curious and everyday phrases explained

and Micro Mart.

DW
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 23:16   #285
Fingy
Inactive

Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal
Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal

Marian Keyes - Angels
Fingy is offline   Reply With Quote